Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745692 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2490 on: December 10, 2013, 08:37:11 pm »

Why would we accept "from" any other other culture what we would not accept from our own?
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: December 10, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »

I'm lazy so my external morality (as in, what I judge other people by) begins and ends at "Are you harming anyone? No? Go ahead then."

My internal morality is a bit more complicated, with the whole preference utilitarian weighted towards those less well off and the expansion and maximization of freedoms and such. But I only hold myself to that, as long as you aren't harming anyone you could go do whatever you want and I won't give a shit. Dress how you want, eat what you want, celebrate what you want and when, work where you want, live how you want.

Can also boil down to "Don't be a dick."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: December 10, 2013, 08:56:49 pm »

Because of the existence of "human rights," I believe we can agree that there are some expectations that cross cultural boundaries. Misogyny, homophobia, etc have no reason to be tolerated. They are moral issues and deserve to be discussed without anything being justified by "it's just what they do." Aspects of culture without any moral ties (clothing, etc), however, CAN be justified with that.
Well some things we tend to see as "human rights", "basic decency" or "common sense" clearly vary between cultures. Heck, even within our own culture.
Also it's not all that theoretical, it's about problems in practical situations. For example, I know a lot of teachers, who hear stuff like "you can't tell me anything because you're a woman", "there are no gay [insert ethnicity]" and stuff like that from very young students. Also it's difficult to explain why the Holocaust is a bad thing (still pretty relevant in Germany) to students who not only have no personal connection to it, but also have grown up with "Israel is the devil" propaganda.
As to "Aspects of culture without any moral ties (clothing, etc)" - how can you tell if a headscarf is worn out of free will or due to cultural pressure? It could be an expression of religious belief, or a symbol of misogynistic repression.
How do you deal with parents who don't want their daughters to participate in swimming classes or other activities? (Apparently you make them wear a burkini, point is, it's not that easy.)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: December 10, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »

In the hope that MonkeyHead reads this, I would just like to put forward a question regarding Wales. What are Plaid Cymru's chances of making greater electoral gains over the next few years? I understand that a lot hinges on the referendum (especially regarding Welsh independence and the idea of it becoming more credible) but I'm very curious as to how things are looking right now.

Is Leanne Wood popular to an extent? Is she getting through to people? I certainly like her politics more than the SNP's, but whether or not that would translate into being as good an operator as them remains to be seen by me.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 10, 2013, 11:03:24 pm »

Re-vo-lu-ti-on!!!

That is one of the best nights in my life. My nation is alive, my nation is awake
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: December 10, 2013, 11:29:11 pm »

o-o Did something happen?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: December 10, 2013, 11:31:52 pm »

o-o Did something happen?
War was beginning.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: December 10, 2013, 11:36:24 pm »

In short: 5 hours ago riot police tried to disperse Maidan. They failed. They do keep trying, but I doubt they can do anything now, when half of Kiev is slowly gathering up
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:13 am »

Apparently Ashton and some Deputy Secretary of State were in Kiev to broker negotiations. Any results? Ukrainian Ranger, what do you expect from those protests? Resignation from the prime minister? From Yanukovitsh? Ratification of the Eastern Partnership?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: December 11, 2013, 04:22:28 am »

I think Yanukovich will never resign or do any other step towards peaceful solution. That's just against his criminal mentality

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: December 11, 2013, 04:51:58 am »

Didn't he resign back in '03?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: December 11, 2013, 05:51:10 am »

You mean 2004 and orange revolution? He got no real power so he had no chance to resign back then

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: December 11, 2013, 06:52:28 am »

Sorry, yeah, '04.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:54 am »

Anyway, in other news, the UK just recognized Scientology as an official religion.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: December 11, 2013, 08:33:29 am »

Anyway, in other news, the UK just recognized Scientology as an official religion.

Oh Jesus Christ that's terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 1393