Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862702 times)

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #11955 on: May 25, 2014, 09:36:09 pm »

It was a bit of a pain as expected, and we've more or less written off Visual Studio.  gcc, clang, and mingw will have to do.  Probably could have done it a few months ago, but the last time it came up was 6-8 months ago, and I think it would have been a lot harder to migrate even then.
Doesn't VS have partial support for C++11? Do you use features not supported by it?
I've used several C++11 features with visual studio. As far as I've heard it's fully supported in VS2013, why would we have to write it off?
The official Microsoft feature table seems to disagree:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh567368.aspx
Out of the features missing from 2013, I can definitely see using constexpr and unicode literals.  Out of the features additionally missing from 2012, I can see wanting initializer lists and explicit.  2010 is of course a total wash.  That doesn't even cover the standard library, they claim they implement it in full, but all the holes in language support don't give me a lot of confidence.

More importantly, the fact that VS does not implement the full specification means it's a minefield.  It means we can use legal c++11 constructs that will fail to compile on visual studio, and since we have no way of testing against visual studio regularly like we do with the other compilers, those issues can silently accumulate until someone tries to compile on visual studio and it breaks.
This was a big part of my reason to not migrate to c++11 earlier, but instead we're ditching VS support.
At the moment, everything else works, and visual studio 2012 throws these linker errors:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  If you feel like sorting these out and making PRs that fix them, feel free, but I'm skeptical that we'll be able to maintain compatibility with VS's partial implementation of c++11.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: May 26, 2014, 10:34:55 am »

Start a new game, I step outside the shelter and, "You feel a cold coming on". That quick, huh. I get my normal beginning stuff made, and head to a nearby mansion, where I get mobbed by zombies.

Next game, I'm crafting some arrows from the shelter's furniture, and an NPC robs me. The crafting doesn't stop despite the robbery, losing my tools for the job(and most of the materials), or getting subsequently shot in the arm with one of these. I proceeded to beat the robber to death with a piece of splintered wood after he ran out of bullets.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:29 am »

Start a new game, I step outside the shelter and, "You feel a cold coming on". That quick, huh. I get my normal beginning stuff made, and head to a nearby mansion, where I get mobbed by zombies.

Next game, I'm crafting some arrows from the shelter's furniture, and an NPC robs me. The crafting doesn't stop despite the robbery, losing my tools for the job(and most of the materials), or getting subsequently shot in the arm with one of these. I proceeded to beat the robber to death with a piece of splintered wood after he ran out of bullets.
Seems legit.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11958 on: May 26, 2014, 02:22:52 pm »

NPCS would be really nice to revamp, but I understand if some things are priority. But yes, NPCs have GREAT gear that is usually very high end, but tend not to use them to full capability.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11959 on: May 26, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »

Would an "easy" way to fix this be to limit the starting shelter NPCs to just the professions offered on player gen? So, you might end up with an angry blackbelt or soldier or something, but that should reduce the incidence rate of "I've got a machine gun and you have an advil I want".
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:15 pm »

The easy fix is keep NPCs disabled.
The next easiest after that is to have them use weighted spawn like everything else.  Right now they're just as likely to get the rarest rifle in the game as they are to get the most common.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: May 26, 2014, 07:22:41 pm »

Perhaps slightly spammish, but, 6 fabrication irl, you say.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: May 26, 2014, 08:36:21 pm »

AKHIER DRAGONHEART I HAVE A BONE TO PICK WITH YOU

Why do you butcher zombie corpses instead of just smashing them in your videos?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11963 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:50 pm »

Survival Skill grinding and some of them are worth it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: May 26, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »

Survival Skill grinding and some of them are worth it.

I find a better way to grind survival is to make a fire bow (or whatever it's called) and keep attempting to light a bush on fire.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11965 on: May 26, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »

I guess I shouldn't have used the word grinding as it doesn't really capture the reason. Yes grinding a bush with a fire bow till the friction causes fire is a better way. Problem is that it isn't very good viewing. If I sit there doing that then I just end up with another section I cut out like when I work on tailoring. I have to deal with zombie corpses anyway so I might as well use them as a passive way to up my survival skill.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: May 26, 2014, 08:51:16 pm »

That is some very sound thinking.
I guess the meta changes when you're on camera.  :P

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:41 pm »

I just had one of those great experiences that just make you chuckle in game. I had just made a Lajatang and was testing it out on a cougar. The cougar ran away so I started to walk back to my base, but then realized I no longer had the lajatang. This caused me to first pull out my machete, and then I did three bumps of coke. I like to think that my guy was just screaming while waving around the machete and chasing a cougar down. Once I had killed the cougar and realized that my lajatang wasn't stuck in it, so that made me sad. Then I realized that the coke made me smarter. I thus ran back to base, did three more bumps and installed about 12 bionics, only failing one. I am now dealing with cocaine withdrawal and still haven't found my lajatang, to my great shame. Although, with my new mini flamethrower I can now clean up the piles of gore surrounding my base.

EDIT: Also just accidental ate my gallon jug that I use for water. All of my sighs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:00:30 pm by joemoben »
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11968 on: May 26, 2014, 08:56:36 pm »

coke made me smarter.

well that's news to me

when are "cutting qualities" gonna be implemented? everything is just cutting quality 1 right now isn't it?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: May 26, 2014, 09:07:00 pm »

One would think doing a load of coke then installing extreme amounts of cybernetic implants involving complicated surgery would be inadvisable, but...
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1086