Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862695 times)

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11475 on: April 13, 2014, 11:09:24 pm »

Making Cataclysm II seems a little redundant from the screenshots since it looks just like what we have now. More fun in my opinion to join back and build up on the original.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: April 14, 2014, 12:21:08 am »

Making Cataclysm II seems a little redundant from the screenshots since it looks just like what we have now. More fun in my opinion to join back and build up on the original.

"We" are not making cataclysm 2.

Cataclysm was made by Whales, who gave up the project and the source for it. The fine folks of Dark Days Ahead picked up on the project and created what you see here now.

Cataclysm 2 is Whales writing Cataclysm (his version) again. They're two separate projects now.

Yeah I know that. I was just saying that from looking at the screens on his site, it is pretty much the same as C:DDA thus he should just stick with you guys.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:31 am »

There is probably huge differences between the two, and even if all that is different is just a few balance changes then that is also fine I think. No reason to say one side or the other has to work on the other project.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: April 14, 2014, 01:24:17 am »

Notably, he does have upward z-levels.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11479 on: April 14, 2014, 01:36:19 am »

Steal that code! :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:03 am »

Steal that code! :P
He rewrote everything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: April 14, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »

B) Only spawn at rivers/swamps, which most sane players avoid ATM :P
Boo! Who changed the spawn details? They were supposed to spawn in woods and caves, darn it!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: April 14, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »

On that note I'd like to announce the progress on the Bounty stuff for those of you who didn't/aren't following Kickstarter.

We've already got the first issue set up on Bounty source (which you can donate to if you want, or you can just drop money into the C:DDA slush donation fund and we'll use it for what we think needs it) and there is already somebody working on it! (Thanks CIB!)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »

Is there a way to turn off random zombiespawning in the wilderness? It is kinda annoying to meet rather large groups of zombies only a few maptiles away from the shelter. In an area where you just killed a rather large group of zombies and while collecting the spoils.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: April 14, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

Is there a way to turn off random zombiespawning in the wilderness?

Oh, awesome, I recently asked about this and can be helpful:  You can, but it requires generating a new world. 

The game can be set to dynamically spawn zombies over time, after a 90-minute safe window at the beginning of the game.  This is the classic behavior and gives you steadily increasing sizes of zombie hordes.  You rush for resources in the beginning, and then start to behave more cautiously as the zombies come out.

Or, the new DDA default, is static spawn mode.  All the zombies are spawned at the beginning, and you have to cautiously move around the city centers where populations are most dense.

If you are already using static spawn mode, you may have just encountered some wanderers.  Or maybe some nearby were attracted to the sounds of your battle, and it just took them a little while to arrive.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »

Is there a way to turn off random zombiespawning in the wilderness? It is kinda annoying to meet rather large groups of zombies only a few maptiles away from the shelter. In an area where you just killed a rather large group of zombies and while collecting the spoils.

Assuming you are on static spawn - If you met a large group, this is one of the roaming hoards. I would guess they didn't spawn out there, they spawned in a city somewhere and the mob managed to shamble out there looking for prey.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: April 14, 2014, 03:50:52 pm »

Assuming you are on static spawn - If you met a large group, this is one of the roaming hoards. I would guess they didn't spawn out there, they spawned in a city somewhere and the mob managed to shamble out there looking for prey.

It was on dynamic spawn. I grew to like it in previous versions and so I kept it.
I just installed a newer version today.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: April 14, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »

I've been playing the experiemental builds...and i'm curious...what was changed that it turned the game from a 9.8 mb download to 24 mb download in 1344?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »

I've been playing the experiemental builds...and i'm curious...what was changed that it turned the game from a 9.8 mb download to 24 mb download in 1344?
Sound support, complete with some test music, was added to the game IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: April 14, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »

Now that is a zombie horde...hm...I'd have to estimate that it is a good 30 map tile radius horde...I don't even think the biotics I've picked up will be enough...
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1086