Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862380 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11445 on: April 12, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »

Do people ever still encounter sludge crawlers? I never hear anything about them.
Most likely because they:
A) Only start spawning after the first week, and even then are rather rare
and
B) Only spawn at rivers/swamps, which most sane players avoid ATM :P
Hey, my current guy has a huge swamp just south of the starting shelter and I see it as a ENORMOUS boon. Its pretty much infinite wood and water (Though obviously one has to clean the water first.

Granted I still stay just on the outskirts of it, but hey, the boon statement still stands.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #11446 on: April 12, 2014, 03:58:07 pm »

Get back to us in a week or two, and you've had to abandon your shelter to the ZOMG Swarm.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11447 on: April 12, 2014, 04:32:19 pm »

Get back to us in a week or two, and you've had to abandon your shelter to the ZOMG Swarm.
I already abandoned that shelter. I live in a hardware store because it has a metal recycler.
My main problem right now is FUCKDAMN ZOMBEARS. I would be ok if I wasn't running out of ammo.
Whats it take to get into hand loading anyway?

Indeed, I do this.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11448 on: April 12, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »

You can get by with a kinetic bullet puller and hand press and die set if you have a source of ammunition that you don't use. Primers might be an issue though.

If you're looking to make bullets from scratch; I'd recommend ignoring the mundane calibers and heading for caseless ammunition. It does require a high amount of fabrication skill though.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11449 on: April 12, 2014, 07:41:32 pm »

So, latest experimental and I'm surrounded by Z's on the map. I assume that's a zombie horde? Does it every go away? It's covering the entire town near my start point, it's practically impossible to take more than three steps without being swarmed.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11450 on: April 12, 2014, 07:44:34 pm »

Hordes are attracted to sound (And I believe they do wander around on their own.).

You can try making a large trap area and then making lots of noise to attract them to you (Or at least away from your target).

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11451 on: April 12, 2014, 07:45:39 pm »

You can get by with a kinetic bullet puller and hand press and die set if you have a source of ammunition that you don't use. Primers might be an issue though.

If you're looking to make bullets from scratch; I'd recommend ignoring the mundane calibers and heading for caseless ammunition. It does require a high amount of fabrication skill though.
GAH, EVERYTHING REQUIRES THE SKILL I DON'T HAVE.

Indeed, I do this.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11452 on: April 12, 2014, 08:08:22 pm »

Hordes are attracted to sound (And I believe they do wander around on their own.).

You can try making a large trap area and then making lots of noise to attract them to you (Or at least away from your target).

Yea, I think I just spawned next to one. It would be nice if they didn't spawn on day one, I died after I was forced away from the town, then got caught in acid rain. Nothing I could do about that, sadly.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11453 on: April 12, 2014, 08:48:59 pm »

Do zombie hordes always spawn over cities? I'm three games in and I literally cannot find a city that isn't completely overrun.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11454 on: April 12, 2014, 09:43:21 pm »

By the way, when you implement an up-going Z-level, will you have another kind of city? Because it would be awesome if in addition to the game's typical backwater towns and massive suburbia "cities", there were massive metropolises made out of office towers restructured into apartment buildings, all sorts of stores rolled up into malls, and, of course, plenty of office towers, all intended to look like New York City and the like.

What are the odds that sort of thing will arrive before, say, Christmas this year?

I know that's mostly speculation and something that won't happen for a while, but I needed to speculate about that out loud. :P
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11455 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:01 pm »

sounds like a total map engine re-write. 

Adding up-stairs probably isn't a big thing,  but imagine people wanting to set off a mini-nuke on the ground floor.  Or just dig through the east face of a building with a jackhammer.  You'll want it to fall.  Preferably directionally, but at a minimum it should collapse straight down in its footprint like in DF.

This will be no mean feat. 

Then, you'll want fluid dynamics.  Open pipes at upper levels, or pouring fluids (gasoline) out and tossing down a match.

Can of worms.  If they tackle it, it will be a major overhaul.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11456 on: April 13, 2014, 02:07:49 am »

Well...they already have somewhat of a way to do that with trees falling...granted that is much easier to do...however it would be possible to just bury everything on each floor in rubble with a high chance of any items being auto-dismantled smashed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:18:30 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11457 on: April 13, 2014, 11:23:23 am »

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER USE EXPLOSIVE ROUNDS IN SHORT RANGE.

EVER.

RIP 5 Rifle Skill Computer Hacker
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11458 on: April 13, 2014, 11:23:48 am »

I wish the factions worked along with NPCs, cause the game feels alot like DF adventure just with a legit crafting system. You play for a while and have lots of fun for a few days but then get bored and wait for the next release

Yeah, the idea of just coming across a big walled off area run by NPCs trying to reclaim the world is quite appealing.

Or even starting said commune yourself!

Yeah it would be interesting if you could get the other guys in the starting building to help set up fortifications and scavenger parties instead of asking for drugs and running around screaming.

Also
-Is there going to be a way to reach the ocean? It shouldnt take much more than a few hours in a car.
-Are other countries still around? Its only been 8 hours since the state has been overrun so other countries should still be fighting or possibly isolating themselves like israel in world war Z.
-Whats Cataclysm 2?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11459 on: April 13, 2014, 11:46:12 am »

Oh, man.  If you could get people to do repetative tasks, that would be AMAZING.

Dig a ditch here!  Spend a day sharpening these sticks!  Pump water through this filter!

Would be a different game then, and would need new ways to make it challenging.  Like other organized groups who want to take your stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 762 763 [764] 765 766 ... 1086