Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862390 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Now you're thinking with Portals
« Reply #11505 on: April 15, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

Lots of things are overpowered if you can get them -- they're offset by being rare and life being fickle, cruel, and short.

Whats up with the fungaloids now?  I dont remember them being this prolific.  I'm on day three and they're everywhere.

Lab map revealed two fungal spires, one of which is within about 20 map tiles.  With the fungaloid populations here, I wonder if i'll ever contain them even if I get rid of the spire?  I'm ignoring them for now, but I fear in another couple days I'll drown in them unless I hit the highway or something.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: April 15, 2014, 10:11:13 pm »

Aero-Evaporator seems... a bit broken...it effectively eliminates the need for collecting and boiling water since you just get a metal tank from any vehicle, empty it of gas then use it once on the metal tank to have a near unlimited supply of water...maybe this is offset by it being somewhat rare to find and potentially difficult to install.
We've got some eventual goals to severely limit the Aero-Evaporator based on time, so you won't be able to condense an effectively unlimited amount out of the same small patch of air.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: April 15, 2014, 11:59:31 pm »

Lots of things are overpowered if you can get them -- they're offset by being rare and life being fickle, cruel, and short.

Whats up with the fungaloids now?  I dont remember them being this prolific.  I'm on day three and they're everywhere.

Lab map revealed two fungal spires, one of which is within about 20 map tiles.  With the fungaloid populations here, I wonder if i'll ever contain them even if I get rid of the spire?  I'm ignoring them for now, but I fear in another couple days I'll drown in them unless I hit the highway or something.

I thought fungaloids dont grow?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: April 16, 2014, 12:06:27 am »

Aero-Evaporator seems... a bit broken...it effectively eliminates the need for collecting and boiling water since you just get a metal tank from any vehicle, empty it of gas then use it once on the metal tank to have a near unlimited supply of water...maybe this is offset by it being somewhat rare to find and potentially difficult to install.
We've got some eventual goals to severely limit the Aero-Evaporator based on time, so you won't be able to condense an effectively unlimited amount out of the same small patch of air.
Does it really need fixing? Integrated toolset covers a wide range of tools, the water extraction one lets you drain corpses indefinitely, and the rest have a huge number of potentially broken uses. Actually, the only thing I can think of that bionics don't directly help with is food, IE you still have to go hunting or fishing.

Speaking of fishing, I am not sure if fish corpses should give bones or not. Probably shouldn't, as that would make fishing capable of providing both food and water indefinitely.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: April 16, 2014, 01:12:41 am »

Does it really need fixing? Integrated toolset covers a wide range of tools, the water extraction one lets you drain corpses indefinitely, and the rest have a huge number of potentially broken uses. Actually, the only thing I can think of that bionics don't directly help with is food, IE you still have to go hunting or fishing.

Speaking of fishing, I am not sure if fish corpses should give bones or not. Probably shouldn't, as that would make fishing capable of providing both food and water indefinitely.

I think it is more of an issue that it instantly fills 800 units of water for 8 energy...but as for food, expanded digestion system + recycler unit makes food almost a non-issue. yes you still would need to carry some food around...but it would probably sustainable by random berries that are found and something like lasauna would last you a week.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: April 16, 2014, 01:19:47 am »

Water extraction is bugged and needs to be fixed as well. Integrated toolset is working exactly as intended. The big thing is that it isn't realistic for you to be able to pull gallon after gallon of water out of the same patch of the air (or out of the same small corpse).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: April 16, 2014, 01:28:24 am »

I do agree with that, actually. Simple fix for both, perhaps, maybe. Add a flag to map tiles and corpses to establish if one of those bionics has been used or not. For corpses, it would make them dessicated and make them not a valid target anymore. For the area, add a flag for the map tile. Map tile flags would clear every day. Not perfect, but would mean you'd have to at least travel around.

Also, question. Caltrops or Nailboard traps? Caltrops are cheaper to make, but I'm not sure which is more effective. The stat screen doesn't seem to say much about it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: April 16, 2014, 02:42:27 am »

I do agree with that, actually. Simple fix for both, perhaps, maybe. Add a flag to map tiles and corpses to establish if one of those bionics has been used or not. For corpses, it would make them dessicated and make them not a valid target anymore. For the area, add a flag for the map tile. Map tile flags would clear every day. Not perfect, but would mean you'd have to at least travel around.

Also, question. Caltrops or Nailboard traps? Caltrops are cheaper to make, but I'm not sure which is more effective. The stat screen doesn't seem to say much about it.
Caltrops all the way. Even if nailboards deal more damage, caltrops are much smaller and lighter, and easier to make as well. If you're using them on the go, there's no beating a stack of caltrops.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #11513 on: April 16, 2014, 07:43:40 am »

Is there any point to being a hacker in this game? (What do you use it for?)

Also, nail-bats are surprisingly powerful.  (But I've recently discovered the power of axes.)

Speaking of axes, the version that I play has no indication of item durability, yet my fire axe sometimes disappears during combat.  First time that this happened was quite a surprising death.  (I found no messages in the log indicating why my axe was lost either time.)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: April 16, 2014, 08:06:44 am »

Could be that it get stuck into an enemy.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:15 am »

That's what I thought at first, but none of the corpses had my axe after I killed them.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:12 am »

Is there any point to being a hacker in this game? (What do you use it for?)

Also, nail-bats are surprisingly powerful.  (But I've recently discovered the power of axes.)

Speaking of axes, the version that I play has no indication of item durability, yet my fire axe sometimes disappears during combat.  First time that this happened was quite a surprising death.  (I found no messages in the log indicating why my axe was lost either time.)

Hacking (or rather Computers) is actually a very useful late-game skill, allowing you to get into areas with a lot of neat stuff (like bank vaults, police evidence lockers), or use various computerized systems to your benefit, like getting mutagenic sewer samples, healing stem cell treatment, or even

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:54 am »

Ah, thanks.  Maybe I'll try that with my next build.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: April 16, 2014, 10:07:28 am »

The stuff that is behind doors that computers open is *usually* reachable by using some explosives.  That being said, I always train up computer skills and pick up some pretty damn good stuff, usually from Labs first.  It's a great payoff for searching a few libraries and spending a few hours reading some books...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:29 am »

Obligatory poni.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 766 767 [768] 769 770 ... 1086