Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861544 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4425 on: July 12, 2013, 12:40:56 pm »

What survival level do you recommend to butcher shockers, and get the maximum amount of bionics in a good condition?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:14 pm »

What survival level do you recommend to butcher shockers, and get the maximum amount of bionics in a good condition?
"How to Pitch a Tent"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:47 pm »

Actually, that's a question I had. Where do you stand, IP-wise? Does Cataclysm count under "fair use" as a parody of some kind?
All the stuff currently in use isn't strictly copyright.  Names and titles are actually rather had to legally protect.

Now, that "Metal Gear Solid" mod is most certainly treading on legally questionable ground.

If you aren't making money off of it someone will still try to sue you and tie you up in courts until you go bankrupt.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: July 12, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »

"How to Pitch a Tent"
I have survivalt at six, but I butchered one and got one functional bionic and a burned one. I wonder if I can get two fully functional bionics for each zombie.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: July 12, 2013, 12:56:23 pm »

"How to Pitch a Tent"
I have survivalt at six, but I butchered one and got one functional bionic and a burned one. I wonder if I can get two fully functional bionics for each zombie.
You never do.  It's a random chance.  Part of the lore is that they're Shockers because their bionics malfunctioned.  It seems to be a 50/50 or a 33/66 chance to be burned out (more likely burned).

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:51 pm »

you dont need survival above 5. I dont think there are any craftable items that require survival above 5. i never fail butchering at 5 either. i tend to disable it so i dont waste focus on training it.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: July 12, 2013, 01:02:49 pm »

there seem to be alot more shockers spawned in .6, so there tend to be plenty of bionics even at the failure rate during butchery.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:43 pm »

"How to Pitch a Tent"
You never do.  It's a random chance.  Part of the lore is that they're Shockers because their bionics malfunctioned.  It seems to be a 50/50 or a 33/66 chance to be burned out (more likely burned).
Oh, I thought it had something to do with my survival level, thanks!

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4433 on: July 12, 2013, 01:19:31 pm »

It does have something to do with survival in that you need it high enough to get a chance at bionics. Just like you need it to get a chance at stuff like fur. Its just that with bionics it doesn't affect the drop of good bionics.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:21:10 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »

Actually, that's a question I had. Where do you stand, IP-wise? Does Cataclysm count under "fair use" as a parody of some kind?

GlyphGryph is right, despite some common misconceptions, © and  don't cover things like use of monsters or even character names.

To fall afoul of © the game would need to include infringing text of some kind (since we don't HAVE images...), and to the best of my knowlege no significant amount of text has been copied from anywhere.  Even with triffids, to fall afoul of © we'd have to copy text from the book or movie or something, which he haven't and aren't going to do.

The other issue of course is , I'm not sure the word triffid is even , but even if it is it'd have to cover triffid video games or something to be problematic for us since  has field of use restrictons.

Triffids aren't much of an issue really, the L4D stuff meets more of the criteria, but even that definitely falls into the "inspired by" area rather than literal copying, which is all that © protects against.  To the best of my knowledge we aren't using any  terms in remotely confusing ways.

tl;dr to run afoul of ©, you have to literally copy part of a work, such as text from it, which we haven't done.  To run afoul of , the terms you use have to be , AND the  has to be in your field of use AND you have to be using it in a confusing way, we don't remotely approach that.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: July 12, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »

From what I know, for things like character names and the like, you need to worry more about trademarks than copyrights. I could be wrong.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: July 12, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »

As it stands, the game is nowhere near the level of infringement that would warrant event scant criticism on the subject.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4437 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

"How to Pitch a Tent"
Oh, I thought it had something to do with my survival level, thanks!
Keep in mind that the burned out bionics can be used to craft new ones though!

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: July 12, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

So I finally decided to man up and destroy the fungal spire that blocks my way to the next town.

Begun by throwing a molotov (had six :))) near the edge of the fungal bed. It burned a 3x3 square. I thought "good, now I can throw to more to burn the rest of the fungus and the spire is free to be attacked". The nex molotov caused a fire that burned the whole fungal bloom. I watched that at the edge of it, until I got blisters because of the heat and had to get farther away. When there was almos no fire, I decided to go into the bloom and begin arrowing the spire. The fire in the spire was still raging, as it fed on the fungal walls which continued to grow. It took about ten metal arrows to kill the spire.

Now I feel like a pro (despite still being pretty much a noob)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: July 12, 2013, 04:16:34 pm »

I want to get into archery PURELY to get exploding arrows.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1086