Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861250 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #4395 on: July 11, 2013, 11:40:34 pm »

I obviously need to put "learn to drive" at the top of my priorities list, it sounds like running into stuff with a car solves so many problems.
Problem is, above 30 mph you can't control a vehicle for shit.  Even on a plain open highway with NOTHING there and nothing to distract you, you can't keep straight on the road.

There should seriously be a reduction in "you lose control" chances, maybe an even greater reduction if you're on a road tile that's not in a city - traveling to another city is a pain when you have to swerve back on the road every 30 seconds.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:19 pm »

I obviously need to put "learn to drive" at the top of my priorities list, it sounds like running into stuff with a car solves so many problems.
Problem is, above 30 mph you can't control a vehicle for shit.  Even on a plain open highway with NOTHING there and nothing to distract you, you can't keep straight on the road.

There should seriously be a reduction in "you lose control" chances, maybe an even greater reduction if you're on a road tile that's not in a city - traveling to another city is a pain when you have to swerve back on the road every 30 seconds.
I tought it was tied in with your driving skill?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 12, 2013, 12:02:46 am »

It's really difficult to raise driving skill, and at least from level 0->1 I noticed practically no difference.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 12, 2013, 12:08:19 am »

Well i found it raise faster the faster you go, sure it is more dangerous but thats how i went from 0 to 4 and at 4 i was barely fumbling the controls, higher i believe i would fumble even less, but again it was a few version ago, i still need to get back in the game and try out the latest version.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 12, 2013, 12:41:23 am »

The vehicle driving system does need a few improvements right now, though it's kinda low priority. At the moment there isn't really any difference in fumbles going from 0->1, and once you get above a skill level of 4 (or maybe it's to 4?) you will never fumble again. As for training the driving skill, you only actually level the skill up while you are turning, so the best way is to actually be constantly turning while driving. My general method for this is to point my car straight down the road and then just tap left-right-left-right instead of the wait key when I want to go straight. By doing that you can actually level up your driving skill fairly quickly (though you can still run into problems again if you have skill rust turned completely on).

Solar panels were bugged, they'd use the vehicle's origin tile to determine whether or not it was getting sunlight and not the solar panel's position.

This was just fixed last night, not sure if the experimental build includes it yet or not, but solar panels will ignore roofs as they're assumed to always be placed over them.
The experimental build actually updates within about 15 minutes of a pull request being merged into the main version (or as little as around 3 minutes depending on the OS that is being built). You can actually watch the builds being built here (as well as download them, this is where the main cataclysm page links to).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 12, 2013, 01:51:20 am »

Solar panels were bugged, they'd use the vehicle's origin tile to determine whether or not it was getting sunlight and not the solar panel's position.

This was just fixed last night, not sure if the experimental build includes it yet or not, but solar panels will ignore roofs as they're assumed to always be placed over them.
The experimental build actually updates within about 15 minutes of a pull request being merged into the main version (or as little as around 3 minutes depending on the OS that is being built). You can actually watch the builds being built here (as well as download them, this is where the main cataclysm page links to).

Oh, that's awesome, I thought they were just nightly builds.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 12, 2013, 02:53:27 am »

As for training the driving skill, you only actually level the skill up while you are turning, so the best way is to actually be constantly turning while driving. My general method for this is to point my car straight down the road and then just tap left-right-left-right instead of the wait key when I want to go straight. By doing that you can actually level up your driving skill fairly quickly (though you can still run into problems again if you have skill rust turned completely on).

Huh. That might explain how I might've leveled up driving to 1 on my most recent character when all I've really done so far with driving is test a couple abandoned cars to see if they worked by sitting at the controls and trying to turn it. I'm fairly positive I didn't put any points into driving beforehand at character creation. Someone might wanna test to verify though. >.>

If at the moment survivors can learn to drive by sitting in a wrecked car and spinning the wheel back and forth, I'd call that a well-thought out and absolutely worth keeping function.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:18 am »

As for training the driving skill, you only actually level the skill up while you are turning, so the best way is to actually be constantly turning while driving. My general method for this is to point my car straight down the road and then just tap left-right-left-right instead of the wait key when I want to go straight. By doing that you can actually level up your driving skill fairly quickly (though you can still run into problems again if you have skill rust turned completely on).

Huh. That might explain how I might've leveled up driving to 1 on my most recent character when all I've really done so far with driving is test a couple abandoned cars to see if they worked by sitting at the controls and trying to turn it. I'm fairly positive I didn't put any points into driving beforehand at character creation. Someone might wanna test to verify though. >.>

If at the moment survivors can learn to drive by sitting in a wrecked car and spinning the wheel back and forth, I'd call that a well-thought out and absolutely worth keeping function.
Interesting find :)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: July 12, 2013, 03:26:31 am »

I'm all in favor of keeping it, as long as your noise rating goes up while doing so. "VROOM! VROOM! Wheeee!"
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: July 12, 2013, 07:24:52 am »

Can your shit get stolen?

Cause I think I lost my stockpile of food...
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: July 12, 2013, 07:30:26 am »

Is it possible to mount a flamethrower on a motorcycle?

I'm asking this without knowing whether flamethrowers exist in the game or anything about vehicle modding.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:06 am »

Yes, it is.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: July 12, 2013, 08:12:45 am »

Yes, it is.
To specify, it's a high-skill install, and it mounts a rotating turret that auto-fires, drawing from gasoline reserves, which CAN leave your vehicle unable to move if it's not electric.  It is not controllable directly, can only be turned on/off, and WILL try and fire through you (the driver) or through parts of the vehicle itself.

Due to the high install cost (namely, military-grade flamethrowers, not home-made) I haven't mounted any turret weapons.  I don't know if they fire at anything, or if they'll only attempt to target what's in their direct cone of vision.  My WARBUS would do pretty well with a pair of turrets mounted to either side of the enclosed bunk, assuming they don't try to fire THROUGH the impassable walls and end up cooking/killing me and wrecking the whole structure.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:00 am »

They only fire on items in their cone of vision, so the general solution is not to let them see things on the other side of you (since they WILL try to fire on it)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: July 12, 2013, 09:51:58 am »

If you feed only in potato chips (they are unhealthy), what would happen to your character?

And a suggestion: seeing that the Fluid sacs butchered from plan enemies are like the equivalent to bones from animals (not much nutrition, slightly unhealthy, doesn't rot), can we have a recipe o cook them? Like bone broth?
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1086