Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864620 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2970 on: May 22, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »

Oh thank god, having to burn down a forest in the middle of the night cause I'm freezing to death and can't see to get new clothes was getting old.

You can sew with a 1+ lightstrip or 2+ glowsticks (IIRC), and you should be able to equip multiple blankets. Or blanket + winter gear. (How COLD was it?!)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: May 22, 2013, 04:43:25 pm »

Welp I just lost this long running game to a bug with an NPC.

Debug messages:

Matthew Morgan chose action Go to destination.
NPC Matthew Morgan: Target = -1, danger = 0, range = 7
address_needs Undecided
address_player Undecided
find_item Undecided
long_term_goal_action()
long_term_goal_action Go to destination

...and that repeats endlessly.
I have a story about a NPC well 2, i was riding around in town scouting in my newly found car i had filled out with gas... as i move i saw a NPC surrounded by zombies, i said hell why not go and help him, make a turn pull the handbrake... fumble with control kill the NPC whoopsi.... Clean the remaining Z's ad start looting, find a MP7 with about 150 rounds remaining, great!!. I get back in the car and move toward the nearest garage to start looking for mecanics tools, i do some cleaning with my car, park it in front of the garage and start looting.

As i come out of the garage with an engine a NPC pop out from behind of a car and says TALK TO ME. Happy to find a NPC who wants to talk i gladly do so.... Drop your weapon he says.... Errr man its a frigging V8 engines but fine.... i drop it, he ask me to raise my hands... wich i comply. A couple of zombie comes out from between 2 house just behind him, he starts to move away and zhoot them. Fine i take my engines and let him be with the zombies and start looting again.

Get back in my car and move slowly next to another one real close to a wall not that far from where the NPC was. BAM!!!! Double barrel shot point blank trough my driver door. When i say point blank is really point blank. The NPC was litteraly next to the driver door behind the other car again.... Needless to sy the shot went straight trough the door and into my torso, making me bleed and about to die. Take my MP7 turn into burst mode, fire once, fire twice all shots hit he is still alive and i just unloaded a full clip in him at point blank too... Hit the pedal and move away as i try to cut some rags from whats left of my T-Shirt to stop the hemoraging. Once done, i hit the reverse and move backward saying my gun didnt kill you but my bumper will. BAM!!! squeeze him between my car and the other one, hitting him for well over 300 damage, sent the other car flying and hurting me even more, but luckily not my torso.

I limped back to my safe house with an half broken down car and ample supplies to repair it this time. Found a few crate in the wilderness but night was coming too fast and i was way to hurt to risk a wolf or anything.

NPC might be buggy but this game... wow i realy had fun with what happent haha.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »

Oh thank god, having to burn down a forest in the middle of the night cause I'm freezing to death and can't see to get new clothes was getting old.

You can sew with a 1+ lightstrip or 2+ glowsticks (IIRC), and you should be able to equip multiple blankets. Or blanket + winter gear. (How COLD was it?!)
I didn't have the gear to sew and it was one of those freak days only 3-4 days into the game where the weather suddenly went FUCK ALL LIFE!!! and went down to about 2 C*.... I was in cargo pants and I think a trenchcoat only...
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: May 22, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »

And having learned a lot about the fire processing in order to implement my Pyromaniac trait pull request, I think I might take a shot at a potential fix for fire burn times. From what I can tell the numbers just need a bit of a tweak and we should be able to get much more realistic burn times.
Make sure the fix still leaves behind partially burned items at least sometimes! I wouldn't want fires to completely burn up all the rubble.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: May 22, 2013, 05:00:39 pm »

Huh. I came back a few hours later and.. aside from the gas tank the car is. Drivable. Huh. You'd think blowing up and catching on fire would... nevermind, not gonna question it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: May 22, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »

You can sew with a 1+ lightstrip or 2+ glowsticks (IIRC)
1 glowstick will allow you to sew normally unless you are in total darkness in which case you will have a 1.5x time modifier (unless you also have night vision of some kind). AFAIK having multiple types of the same item (right now the only one that works this way is glowsticks) doesn't give you any additional boosts.

And having learned a lot about the fire processing in order to implement my Pyromaniac trait pull request, I think I might take a shot at a potential fix for fire burn times. From what I can tell the numbers just need a bit of a tweak and we should be able to get much more realistic burn times.
Make sure the fix still leaves behind partially burned items at least sometimes! I wouldn't want fires to completely burn up all the rubble.
Agreed, definitely a thing to keep in mind.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2976 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »

burning houses down is a great way to get materials.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: May 22, 2013, 07:41:13 pm »

Pro-tip: carve heavy sticks into skewers for more efficient fire making.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2978 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:35 pm »

Pro-tip: carve heavy sticks into skewers for more efficient fire making.
er... what?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: May 22, 2013, 07:51:04 pm »

I wasn't actually responding to your true claim about burning down houses, it was a more general celebration of the wonder that is the skewer that coincidentally followed your own pyrophillic ruminations.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2980 on: May 22, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »

I wasn't actually responding to your true claim about burning down houses, it was a more general celebration of the wonder that is the skewer that coincidentally followed your own pyrophillic ruminations.
How does a skewer help with fire?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:40 pm »

You can create mini-fires wherever you go. Just drop a skewer and set it alight, then persuade nearby foes to step on the hot skewer. It's makes for a cheap and effective fire trap. Also, if you need to read by firelight, then ten skewers burnt one after the other will last ten times longer than one heavy stick.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:05 pm »

For instance, I just lured a shocker zombie onto a burning skewer and now I'm frying up a TV dinner on its smoldering corpse.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: May 22, 2013, 09:09:39 pm »

Butbutbut... there goes free CBM's....

I totally cringe every time I headshot a shocker zombie and it just evaporates. All the CBM's....

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: May 22, 2013, 09:15:25 pm »

Butbutbut... there goes free CBM's....

I totally cringe every time I headshot a shocker zombie and it just evaporates. All the CBM's....
What?
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1086