Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864589 times)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2955 on: May 22, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »

Oh WOW. I didn't think my gas tank would explode from hitting one wall at 30 mph. Well shit. The two trunks full of booze aren't helping. There goes that pharmacy. And my moderately customized car.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2956 on: May 22, 2013, 03:28:47 pm »

So... does the stone fireplace lengthen the duration of fires at all? Does the stove you can make from a tank and pipe?

Because fires, even from several logs, don't seem to last very long.

DWC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:07 pm »

Oh WOW. I didn't think my gas tank would explode from hitting one wall at 30 mph. Well shit. The two trunks full of booze aren't helping. There goes that pharmacy. And my moderately customized car.

Fuel tank explosions are strange. I've slid off the road and exploded hitting a tree and I've plowed through houses and had gas tanks and everything in the frame down to grey with no ill effect (besides suddenly running out of gas when all the gas tank ran out of hit points).

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2958 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:02 pm »

Say, precisely how is fuel consumption & engine power calculated? Looks like fuel use is based on literage (displacement?), but is that true, and is the display truncated?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2959 on: May 22, 2013, 03:42:35 pm »

So... does the stone fireplace lengthen the duration of fires at all? Does the stove you can make from a tank and pipe?

They prevent fire from spreading, and the stove prevents smoke from generating, but they do nothing for the lifespan right now.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2960 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

They prevent fire from spreading, and the stove prevents smoke from generating, but they do nothing for the lifespan right now.
That's unfortunate. Even with a makeshift bed and blanket I wasn't able to sleep long due to the cold. I had though making a fireplace would help so I made one in the tile next to my makeshift bed and lit a fire with 5 logs, which seemed excessive to me but eh. The fire went out almost immediately on sleeping and I woke up again due to the cold.  :-\

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: May 22, 2013, 03:55:03 pm »

That's because, last I checked, the AMOUNT of fire fuel has no effect on the actual fire.
So you want to have a bunch of logs in your inventory, or a tile away (just in case) and keep throwing them into the fire one by one.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2962 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:10 pm »

That's because, last I checked, the AMOUNT of fire fuel has no effect on the actual fire.
So you want to have a bunch of logs in your inventory, or a tile away (just in case) and keep throwing them into the fire one by one.
That doesn't help my scenario much, where you're trying to use a fire for warmth while sleeping. Which, I think, would be a pretty common thing... campfires and such. But its entirely useless right now as a small fire won't even warm you and a 'fire' or 'raging fire' or whatever the 2nd and 3rd densities are called will warm you but burn out very very fast.

Maybe we need a simple campfire construction with 10 stones that lengthens a fire's burn time but doesn't contain the spread, and then the 40 stone fireplace can lengthen it even more and contains it. If the fireplace is supposed to still generate smoke, I didn't notice any.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: May 22, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »

soory to be asking the question that I know I've seen, but does anyone have a good square font? I realized just how much I needed one when I noticed how squashed east/ west facing cars look.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »

That doesn't help my scenario much, where you're trying to use a fire for warmth while sleeping. Which, I think, would be a pretty common thing... campfires and such. But its entirely useless right now as a small fire won't even warm you and a 'fire' or 'raging fire' or whatever the 2nd and 3rd densities are called will warm you but burn out very very fast.

Maybe we need a simple campfire construction with 10 stones that lengthens a fire's burn time but doesn't contain the spread, and then the 40 stone fireplace can lengthen it even more and contains it. If the fireplace is supposed to still generate smoke, I didn't notice any.

That will be fixed "eventually". In the mean time, make and wear a blanket specifically designed to circumvent that.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2965 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:26 pm »

If you see above, I was wearing a blanket and on a makeshift bed construction and couldn't sleep for the cold. /shrug

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2966 on: May 22, 2013, 04:26:55 pm »

Tailoring is a great way to stay warm, and there's a lot of clothes you can wear without incurring any penalties. Glove liners, long underwear, under armor, knit hats... You can often wear at least one or two with another piece of clothing before having any problems with them, so you don't have to worry about taking them on and off.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »

Maybe you could shove some heatpacks under the covers to keep you warm? They do heat things up. Or maybe put some bricks in a fire, and use their warmth to heat up the blankets. Possibilities!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »

The fireplace shouldn't be generating any smoke. Think fireplace:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Instead of fire place:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And having learned a lot about the fire processing in order to implement my Pyromaniac trait pull request, I think I might take a shot at a potential fix for fire burn times. From what I can tell the numbers just need a bit of a tweak and we should be able to get much more realistic burn times.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: May 22, 2013, 04:35:29 pm »

Oh thank god, having to burn down a forest in the middle of the night cause I'm freezing to death and can't see to get new clothes was getting old.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1086