Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: [Suggestion Game] Demon  (Read 16755 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion Game] Demon
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2012, 10:11:52 am »

Continue the imitation. Pretend that 'real' Ourista switched us with himself while being summoned, so that he would remain in Hell. Spin some bullshit about how we were a sacrifice to Ourista by demon-worshipping parents and so on and so forth.

Also, knowing the rules of summoning in this world would be nice. Are we actually somehow obligated to do as he wishes? If yes, how? Is there a time limit? What happens if he steps into the pentagram? Can we exit it on our own will? What happens if we attack him? If he gives us two commands in a row before the first one has been completed, which of those are we obligated to follow?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:14:50 am by Dariush »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2012, 10:22:56 am »

I agree with Dariush, actually, unless we're compelled to follow the summoner's command.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2012, 11:13:40 am »

I'll try and answer these questions immediately, and hopefully will have the beginning of a glossary or such ready later today.
Are we actually somehow obligated to do as he wishes?
Once he gives a 'real' order, we will be obliged to do so, until then, we won't. I'll make the order noticeable enough, though.

If yes, how? Is there a time limit?
Time limit and other terms will be set by the order itself. If it's just "Kill my master", you can take your time. If it's "Kill my master until sunset tomorrow with a yellow elephant" (I should stop writing about yellow elephants), things will get complicated.
You are forced to follow the order due to evil things (tm) happening to you, otherwise. Of the 'destroy your essence completely' variant. Or the GM railroading, maybe.
What happens if he steps into the pentagram? Can we exit it on our own will?
If he steps into it, you can do anything you like to him. If that dismissal rune would've been drawn properly, you'd afterwards be flung back, but at the moment... And no, you can't get out until he allows it.
What happens if we attack him?
At the moment, you can't affect anything outside of that pentagram. That's the direct protection rune.
Afterwards, if he isn't an idiot, he'll include "Do not harm me" in his order. Otherwise, you can do anything you want, as long as you still follow his orders.
If he gives us two commands in a row before the first one has been completed, which of those are we obligated to follow?
You simply follow the first 'real' command he gives you.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 11:27:24 am »

At the moment, you can't affect anything outside of that pentagram. That's the direct protection rune.
Afterwards, if he isn't an idiot, he'll include "Do not harm me" in his order. Otherwise, you can do anything you want, as long as you still follow his orders.
'Do not harm me' sounds like an order to me. The second order. And do you know what we do with the second orders?

We IGNORE them. *insert evil laugh here*

Also, when does an order become 'real'? I take it that 'do so' wasn't one, right?

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »

I've updated the first post with the first entry of a potentially growing glossary. For now, it has exactly one entry, summoning.
Basically, for orders, he'll begin with "Abracadabra*, you will bring me a two apples, a couple of tomatoes and a bread from the next town. Afterwards, you will make me dinner, and will destroy that village there, in the east, because they laughed at me last time. Do all of this until tomorrow. And, do not harm me while doing this. Abracadabra*". And you will be forced to do exactly this. And afterwards will be automatically dismissed. That is, if your dismissal rune would work.

* Not an actual magic formula. I'm bad at inventing magical words and make them sound meaningful.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »

However, few wizards will actually use more than two or three orders, because the more orders, the higher the chance at mispronouncing something.
Mispronouncing orders? That the wizard says in his native language? Or should he use the demonic language or whatever?

Also, please specify what qualifies as an order. Is everything that goes between two incantations a single order or many orders?

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:51 pm »

Sorry, that's what happens when I post without thinking too much... basically, let's say that a wizard sends you grocery shopping. He goes:
{i} get me three apples, get me one bread. Do not hurt me. {/i}. You must get him three apples and one bread. And, of course, not hurt him.
If he afterwards notices he forgot the milk, and says {i} And get me a bottle of milk {/i} you do not have to follow that second order.

I've edited the glossary post to (hopefully) reflect my intentions, and deleted the part about mispronouncing. What I meant was the basic risk to be misunderstood, plus offering a nice explanation for only giving the demon that order. Then again, another explanation is the apprentice being singleminded and inexperienced.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 12:35:43 pm »

Ah, I see now. One last question - what will happen if the mage fits a non-order between the starting and ending brackets incantations?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:01 pm »

Tell him we're not really a demon. We have been in Hell for a long time though, and could really use some company right now.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 02:15:53 pm »

Ah, I see now. One last question - what will happen if the mage fits a non-order between the starting and ending brackets incantations?
Like what?

Tell him we're not really a demon. We have been in Hell for a long time though, and could really use some company right now.
This sounds like a good idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:43 pm »

If he wants proof, tell him he can dismiss us.

After all, he can't really.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:04 pm »

Bow chicka bow wow.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 02:30:06 pm »

Too obvious a lie. I stand by my previous suggestion.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:17 pm »

Too obvious a lie. I stand by my previous suggestion.
We're subtly offering him sex.

I don't think he's going to care, or think this through.  He's an incredibly stupid wizard's apprentice.  His brain won't be able to wrest control from his penis.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »

We're subtly offering him sex.
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally?
I don't think he's going to care, or think this through.  He's an incredibly stupid wizard's apprentice.  His brain won't be able to wrest control from his penis.
Still too high a risk. Better play it safe.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12