Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod (Gauging interest)  (Read 20055 times)

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
Re: Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod (Gauging interest)
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:11 pm »

Quote from: Klitri link=topic=118678.msg3770992#msg3770992 date=
Oh I am so excited for the result of this mod. As for the Onion-Workshop idea, I think if you want to do that you could make it so that it accepts Plants/Animals and produces whatever it was supposed to. (I don't know what you expect it to make yet...) Would this idea work?
That's the notion. It'll take corpses and (if I'm apprehending correctly) produce seeds that can be turned with an interaction into the appropriate of the three primary pikmin colours.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »

Oh I am so excited for the result of this mod. As for the Onion-Workshop idea, I think if you want to do that you could make it so that it accepts Plants/Animals and produces whatever it was supposed to. (I don't know what you expect it to make yet...) Would this idea work?
That's the notion. It'll take corpses and (if I'm apprehending correctly) produce seeds that can be turned with an interaction into the appropriate of the three primary pikmin colours.
You can't turn plants into animals.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »

Quote from: Thecard link=topic=118678.msg3771347#msg3771347 date=
Quote from: Jordrake link=topic=118678.msg3771239#msg3771239 date=
If that's the case, I would estimate that the seeds aren't plants.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2012, 04:02:29 pm »

Quote from: Thecard link=topic=118678.msg3771347#msg3771347 date=
Quote from: Jordrake link=topic=118678.msg3771239#msg3771239 date=
If that's the case, I would estimate that the seeds aren't plants.
Getting Pikmin that way requires some sort of sacrifice, you can't make the "seeds" from anything but another living thing.  (By living, I mean still living.)

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2012, 04:11:06 pm »

Is it possible to make digging dirt slow, and digging stone VERY slow, to discourage (but not prevent) digging?

Also, what kind of building material will be available, if any? Tools?

And how will the Onion be 'built' if you choose to go that route? Will you 'Clear a landing site' and, if so, what building material(s) will this require? A beacon? Or will onions become carriable, or growable?
And also, one idea to encourage protecting the Onion is to make Building Destroyers very common.

I wonder will food be required or perhaps you could have it be optional but give different beneficial syndromes?

I like this, especially for the nectar. (just give it a pikmin-specific syndrome that transforms their bodies) Only problem is, how do you make them eat, but not NEED to eat?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2012, 04:15:25 pm »

There's one method that i've seen Meph use to create Golems:

Generally the answer should be no, but there is a way... a mighty complicated one.

Say you want microcline golems (hostile) to spawn from/nearby microcline. What you have to do is this:
Make a custom inorganic mat, name it microcline, it looks like microcline and cant be distinguished from it by the player. only the ID in the raws is different.
Make this mat to be rare and have environment_spec:microcline:single_gem:XYZ
Give it a low boiling point
As soon as a miner digs a big area of microcline he might come across one of those stones that boil away. He is then affected by a syndrome.
the syndrome transforms him into an immobile dwarf for a short time (dwarf stunned by shock as he sees a golem merge from the rock, or something similar for lores sake)
He has one bodypart attached by a melting tissue, drops the bodypart that is fit for animaten shortly after
he also has an interaction to animate that bodypart and transform it into a microcline golem
the golem has the likes_fighting and the crazed tag, so it will be hostile
the transformation of the dwarf ends a few ticks later, so that your miner has enough time to run away.

Problems:
Might not always work
You get a clear warning (has transformed into... a dwarf spotting a golem)
You get some preparation time to get your army down there
Your miner will drop all gear and clothing

Besides that, I am quite sure that this is the only way to do it.

Based on that would it be possible to have a reaction at a workshop (Onion) that did that; create an inhaleable mist that transforms a pikmin and drops a body part before changing it back, that revives and transformed into a new pikmin. The reagent would be meat and so you would effectively transform meat into pikmin.

@Thecard: that's (Above) the method you use to avoid the sacrifice.

@abculatter_2: Building the workshop is going to simply require a "[Color] Onion bulb" as the item needed to build it. Red will be available on embark for a hefty sum. That way they can take root, but they can also be moved.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »

I'm liking this now. A lot.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:15 pm »

Is it possible to make digging dirt slow, and digging stone VERY slow, to discourage (but not prevent) digging?

No.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:01 pm »

No.
If you really want to discourage mining, give all rocks a chance to make a syndrome gas that causes illness.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2012, 07:16:27 pm »

I wonder will food be required or perhaps you could have it be optional but give different beneficial syndromes?

I like this, especially for the nectar. (just give it a pikmin-specific syndrome that transforms their bodies) Only problem is, how do you make them eat, but not NEED to eat?
You could remove solid food entirely and do it all through drinks. They will happily drink water if there is nothing else but prefer booze.

If you really want to discourage mining, give all rocks a chance to make a syndrome gas that causes illness.
I would quite like to see things happening in the caverns at least. Pikmin 2 has a lot of underground fun. One interesting illness could turn pikmin into one of the monsters meaning underground expansion means you're in for a fight.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:18:59 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:39 pm »

Status Update:

All bulborbs that i'm going to include in the initial version are totally done, with the exception of the Fiery Bulblax. Giving it a secretion that can not only spread and be knocked off, but also burns away is posing a significant issue, but i plow through.

Instead of attempting to do the onion interactions myself I'm going to scavenge them from the mod Meph mentioned (The quest for the mod will begin as soon as Meph responds). However, I do have the base work for that all done, so it will be easy dwarfy doable.

Moving on to the Breadbug family and pikmin crops next.

QUESTION:

Would you all prefer I put it up before I get the onion situation done and then have an update when i get it finished? Depending on how long it takes to get the workaround interactions found, the Onion could be the last thing done :( Which is kinda disappointing, because its the most important thing in Pikmin life... What would you all prefer?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2012, 09:03:48 pm »

Fortbent didn't get breeding through mother grubs until version 2.5 or so, even though they're an important part of trolls. Go for it. Preliminary version allow for easier catching of bugs :Y

Jellycat12

• Bay Watcher
  • My destiny is a giant ROCK!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:37 pm »

Go ahead and post it without them.
)( Pisces and proud of it. )(
Just so you know, I'm a girl.
Songs of the Strawberry Trees~My suggestion game!

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:51 pm »

Question: Would it be possible to include the Ultra-spicy spray and the Ultra-Bitter spray?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

They will be included in some way, probably as rare drinks with temporary benefits to pikmin, but probably not as weapons. But maybe the drink could temporarily give the ability to do a spray interaction (or something like that)? I have less of an idea of what i want to do with those. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11