Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod (Gauging interest)  (Read 20066 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod (Gauging interest)
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »

Nope to what Putnam?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

Nope to what Putnam?
Turning meat into a creature, I think.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 10:23:01 pm »

There's one method that i've seen Meph use to create Golems:

Generally the answer should be no, but there is a way... a mighty complicated one.

Say you want microcline golems (hostile) to spawn from/nearby microcline. What you have to do is this:
Make a custom inorganic mat, name it microcline, it looks like microcline and cant be distinguished from it by the player. only the ID in the raws is different.
Make this mat to be rare and have environment_spec:microcline:single_gem:XYZ
Give it a low boiling point
As soon as a miner digs a big area of microcline he might come across one of those stones that boil away. He is then affected by a syndrome.
the syndrome transforms him into an immobile dwarf for a short time (dwarf stunned by shock as he sees a golem merge from the rock, or something similar for lores sake)
He has one bodypart attached by a melting tissue, drops the bodypart that is fit for animaten shortly after
he also has an interaction to animate that bodypart and transform it into a microcline golem
the golem has the likes_fighting and the crazed tag, so it will be hostile
the transformation of the dwarf ends a few ticks later, so that your miner has enough time to run away.

Problems:
Might not always work
You get a clear warning (has transformed into... a dwarf spotting a golem)
You get some preparation time to get your army down there
Your miner will drop all gear and clothing

Besides that, I am quite sure that this is the only way to do it.

Based on that would it be possible to have a reaction at a workshop (Onion) that did that; create an inhaleable mist that transforms a pikmin and drops a body part before changing it back, that revives and transformed into a new pikmin. The reagent would be meat and so you would effectively transform meat into pikmin.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:33:50 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2012, 11:42:04 pm »

Oh, that? We need a name for that. Yeah, it could work that way, it's just that this:

it can create a seed that can be planted, which i then believe can have a reaction for when it's picked (I think).

Plants don't DOO that, chumpstick.

8^y

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2012, 05:40:31 am »

The white pikmin should release a poisonous cloud on death (in game they poison any creature that eats them).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2012, 06:03:51 am »

Wouldn't a poisonous liquid be a better option for them? The only poison clouds white Pikmin encounter are the ones they're sent to charge at.

Also this is the best mod idea ever and I want to subscribe to your newsletter. To carry my useless opinions to how the Onions should work, I'd go down the route of them being a building as well. I'll let someone else come up with a good way how to balance that(although with the mortality rate of pikmin without a leader, who needs balance when you could create a horde) but anyway...

A reaction to turn corpses into pikmin would seem appropriate, one way to accomplish it would be something along these lines.
- Corpse taken to Onion, processed, it creates a vermin named "*color here* pikmin sprout". Also creates a speshul stone that boils in room temp, and causes a syndrome on the vermin creature, that causes it to mature to a pikmin a few days later.

The bad thing about this is that the vermin would be able to move any way it liked until it matures to a real-size creature. Unless IMMOBILE tag works on vermin. Also those stones would be eligible as building material for slabs during worldgen as far as I understand, which might cause hilarity for a pikmin adventurer who wants to be a necromancer, but the slab has boiled away the moment you enter the tower area.

I can't really think of anything else for the building-Onion method. The domestic pet one... well it would work, somewhat, but would a caste member that's also a PET&DOMESTIC require to be married to create offspring? Not to mention that it's not exactly faithful to the source material that Onions like that would pop out pikmin once a year(is 1 year of pregnancy a thing that applies to everything or is there a way to edit that somewhere?).

Then again I don't think you can specify on corpses that would be taken to the building-Onion either, as far as the game is concerned, any body(or body part) is equally a corpse, so a tadpole(or what were those called again) would net as many pikmin as a bulborb.

EDIT: My mistake, there IS a different tag for corpses and body parts as far as reactions go.

EDIT2: Also as an opinion on the "natural digging ability", I wouldn't bother. Digging is easy to level as it is, and there's no way to make a creature that's able to dig without a digging tool in it's hands(or hand-analogues).

Also on the yellows that lack something special right now, make 'em a bit faster and better at agility in general than other pikmin?

EDIT3: On the planting thing you brought up, it doesn't work like that. A plant you pick up doesn't have a syndrome or reaction of it's own that'd magically make a creature, although it's possible to make that picked up plant cause a syndrome when consumed.

Although pikmin only eat nectar. So yeah.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:48:46 am by Ieb »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:26 am »

When i said they'd have a reaction upon being picked I was thinking about it haveing a low boiling temp that evaporated once picked, but that wouln't work because it would boil away before they were picked. (What about contact syndrome?)

@ Ieb: The problem is that you can't have a workshop process/reaction that directly creates a vermin, it has to involve a living creature. So it would work if there was a boil stone that causes the pikmin in the workshop to drop a bodypart that transforms into a vermin that transforms into a pikmin after a set amount of time.

The whole onion thing is going to be a good amount of trial and error. To me the best case scenario would have butchered meat be a reagent for the reaction that way the more meat (i.e. the bigger the creature) the more pikmin you get. But i'm thinking that's impossible, so perhaps the onion would have to have a reaction that created a vaporizing stone that released a mist that resurrected body parts then transformed them into pikmin seeds. That would require pikmin to place corpses and body parts around the onion of course, but it would be doable that way. I'm just going to try a couple methods and see what I can get to work out of it.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2012, 08:18:06 am »

The tag fire immune can't it used by castes  btw it goes to the whole creature not sure if you know or not~

This isn't true. Making materials immune to heat is creature-level, but FIREIMMUNE and FIREIMMUNE_SUPER are both caste-level.
Really then it got change I think I remember it going to the whole creature hmmm
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2012, 08:20:59 am »

Wouldn't a poisonous liquid be a better option for them? The only poison clouds white Pikmin encounter are the ones they're sent to charge at.
The reason I suggested gas is that having poisonous liquids building up on the map isn't a great idea. It could make future fights a lot easier. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to get the liquid in the attacking creature specifically.

I can't really think of anything else for the building-Onion method. The domestic pet one... well it would work, somewhat, but would a caste member that's also a PET&DOMESTIC require to be married to create offspring? Not to mention that it's not exactly faithful to the source material that Onions like that would pop out pikmin once a year(is 1 year of pregnancy a thing that applies to everything or is there a way to edit that somewhere?).
No marriage is required only male caste members being present. I'm starting to think workshops are a better idea. I don't think you can change how frequently a creature can give birth.

Then again I don't think you can specify on corpses that would be taken to the building-Onion either, as far as the game is concerned, any body(or body part) is equally a corpse, so a tadpole(or what were those called again) would net as many pikmin as a bulborb.
There are a few ways around having all creatures give the same number of pikmin.

You could have a number of tool items each worth more than the last which function like the pellets. Then you could use ITEMCORPSE to get them dropping on death. One problem is that this would leave no meat for your pikmin but then do pikmin eat meat?

You could use EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT and it's related tokens to get pellets from butchering creatures. This would net you meat as well as extra pikmin.

I wonder will food be required or perhaps you could have it be optional but give different beneficial syndromes?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2012, 09:35:37 am »

The tag fire immune can't it used by castes  btw it goes to the whole creature not sure if you know or not~

This isn't true. Making materials immune to heat is creature-level, but FIREIMMUNE and FIREIMMUNE_SUPER are both caste-level.
Really then it got change I think I remember it going to the whole creature hmmm

Nope. Like I said, you're probably thinking of magma immunity through materials.

A reaction to turn corpses into pikmin would seem appropriate, one way to accomplish it would be something along these lines.
- Corpse taken to Onion, processed, it creates a vermin named "*color here* pikmin sprout". Also creates a speshul stone that boils in room temp, and causes a syndrome on the vermin creature, that causes it to mature to a pikmin a few days later.

Vermin can't be syndrome transformed into other creatures, IIRC.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:39 am »

Just make another [IMMOBILE] caste or creature or whatever, that grows or transforms into another creature in a couple days or whatever.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2012, 03:13:32 pm »

Now that I read the vermin thing, it makes sense. I have no idea why I thought it was a viable option to use a syndrome on a vermin, I think at best they could transmit syndromes via bites. Or does even that work? UNRELATED TO THREAD

And the deadly blood counter makes sense too, especially since right now your controlled creatures really hate cleaning up blood, UNLESS the blood is in the third cavern layer where no one is meant to go because there are monsters there. That's when every fucking dorf you have will try to clean up the blood of that crundle that a skeleton mauled, or whatever.

I guess I was just hoping there was a way to get Pikmin production going on in DF without too much unnecessarily complex modding.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2012, 06:47:45 pm »

Nope, where unusual breeding is involved, super-complex modding is necessary.

gourd

• Bay Watcher
  • One True Gourd
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »

Wow. This is a fantastic idea. I vouch for Onion-Workshop idea, because it's more similar to the game.

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:19 am »

Oh I am so excited for the result of this mod. As for the Onion-Workshop idea, I think if you want to do that you could make it so that it accepts Plants/Animals and produces whatever it was supposed to. (I don't know what you expect it to make yet...) Would this idea work?
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11