Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 46082 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »

I'm finally done Winter. Bobnova has been dorfed.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:31 pm »

Can I be added again to the end of the turn list?

And did anyone die?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 02, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »

And did anyone die?

Nobody important. A recruit dove into the chasm for reasons I can only guess at (he wasn't sparring as far as I could tell). I drowned a cat. That's pretty much it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 02, 2013, 06:01:46 pm »

And did anyone die?

Nobody important. A recruit dove into the chasm for reasons I can only guess at (he wasn't sparring as far as I could tell). I drowned a cat. That's pretty much it.
Awwww. 

Is there any way to make the Lance of Armok less safe to use?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 02, 2013, 06:09:24 pm »

And did anyone die?

Awwww. 

Is there any way to make the Lance of Armok less safe to use?

Yes, but the problem with magma-based machines is that they tend to be either perfectly-safe and efficient so long as you follow basic guidelines OR apocalyptic engines of instant burndeath, neither of which is particularly-useful in this instance. Guaranteed fiery death of much of the fortress is boring; we'd be going for a risk of such, which is much harder to implement.

In any case, since I'm done playing and only have to do the writeup, it is officially not my problem! :D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #575 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:27 am »

If you want to make the magma flow more dangerous, you can use DFHack to make more types of creatures come out of it - right now it only contains fire imps (normally, it will only ever contain one type of creature), but if you mod it to contain fire men and/or magma men as well then you'll have building destroyers randomly coming out to wreck your stuff. Similar things are possible with the cave river (yours only contains lizardmen, snakemen, and frogmen - mud men will smash your floodgates and can permaflood areas) and chasm (all you've got is giant rats, gremlins, troglodytes, and ratmen - iron men will also smash things and are plenty Fun).

Add mud men to cave river:
Code: [Select]
lua df.global.world.populations:insert('#',{new=true,type=12,race=132})Add iron men to chasm:
lua df.global.world.populations:insert('#',{new=true,type=14,race=131})Add fire men to magma flow:
lua df.global.world.populations:insert('#',{new=true,type=16,race=129})Add magma men to magma flow (make sure you also update the raws as described here):
lua df.global.world.populations:insert('#',{new=true,type=16,race=130})
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 04, 2013, 11:00:00 am »

You could probably make more than just ratmen jump out of the chasm then. Anything that can get come out of the chasm... can come out of the chasm, not just one type of creature (include batmen, antmen, and a few others that I've forgotten). That would make the fortress more dangerous without liquids.

Alternatively or as well, start manufacturing goods to get each of the guild representatives. If you produce either 10 or 50 of one weapon, you'll get the military representative of the order of that weapon arrive, according to the wiki.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:01:43 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #577 on: March 04, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »

Alternatively or as well, start manufacturing goods to get each of the guild representatives.
How could we have forgotten this? "Get ALL the nobles!" (40 total, including the King) is probably the simplest way to make the game more difficult, since they'll be constantly making mandates (which can get your workers beaten, jailed, or hammered), guild job orders (which, if repeatedly ignored, will cause your dwarves to go on strike), and friends (resulting in tantrums if you try to kill even one of them).

If you produce either 10 or 50 of one weapon, you'll get the military representative of the order of that weapon arrive, according to the wiki.
Order of the Weapon nobles arrive once you have 50 locally-made weapons of each type in your fortress (it actually filters them by skill, so if you modded the game so you could forge scimitars then those would count toward Order of the Sword), and most of the others require 10 units in each profession or completing a number of jobs over the previous year).
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:22 pm »

Still, I find it highly suspicious that we STILL didn't have a siege, economy or any of the other common fucp-ups that usually turn fortress upside down.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »

Lets make that "most of the nobles except the king", I hear the king's mandates might be at the "completely wreck the fortress in one go" level. You want to create a background level of !!FUN!! without blowing up the fortress.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 04, 2013, 05:10:09 pm »

Yeah, King can be kinda asshole. He mandates adamantine mining and imposes pretty brutal punishments. Although, from what Mr. Frog wrote, we have a suitable "roayal suite" complete with "personal jacuzzi".
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 05, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »

Sorry about the wait; Winter writeup is about 1/3 done.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 05, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »

Here's the easiest nobles to get from where I think we are (based on the nobles we had and the nobles we seem to have gotten):

House Ferite Representative: Have 10 trappers, 50 tamed animals, or carry out 10 taming jobs.
-I assume letting the tamed animal population grow will fulfil this. Alternatively trap some elephants and tame them.

The Alchemist
-To get the alchemist, you need to carry out 10 extract or soapmaking jobs. Soap means you slaughter some animals to make tallow, and make an alchemist's workshop. You will need 1-3 logs of wood to make the pearlash for the glass vials, and a further 10 logs of wood to make the lye for the soap. Sand can be obtained from the banks of the cave river.

The House Berite Representative: Have ten farmers or fisherdwarves or complete 450 farming jobs. I think this may well have been done.

The Governor: Have 80 Dwarves and perform diverse tasks. We may have hit this already.

The Order of the Crossbow: We need to produce 50 crossbows to get this. Just put in an order for a lot of crossbows. You can make them out of wood but I think it would be better to make them out of bone.

The Order of the Sword: We can get 50 logs of wood and use 50 boulders of obsidian to produce 50 rock swords, assuming they are considered to be swords.

Treasurer, Hoardmaster, and Dungeonmaster: Make up to 50,000 coins. Each coin job produces 500 coins so we would need up to 100 bars of metal to get this many. However, if the "no economy hack" is around you can probably use the "melting coins generates metal" feature so the use of metal isn't so bad. The trouble with this is it will attract the Baron (but you will already have the Baron if you have the Broker, Manager, and Bookkeeper).

@Currency: I strongly suggest maintaining currency from each year of the fortress so we can see what crazy designs we get.

@Diverse tasks I think given the multiple operational superweapon constructions on the map, we have performed diverse tasks.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:56 pm »

@CaptainArchmage:

We actually did have a Governor; if she'd had the sense to have been born with gills, we probably still would! ;D

House Ber and Fer (Berite and Ferite, I'm guessing?) are present and irritating. One of their bedrooms actually opens out into a branch of the chasm, and is occasionally used as a dumping ground; I eagerly await the day a squad of ratmen crawl directly into his bedroom and strangle him in his sleep.

Seconding the suggestion that each successive Overseer mints a set of coins for their year. Based on the artwork I've seen in this fortress, we have a significant chance of semi-regularly getting something hilarious/horrifying like dwarves dying in agony or grimdark surrealist compositions involving domestic animals (I laughed way harder than I probably should've at the screaming-dog engraving).

Winter writeup is now complete. I'm going to sit on it for a bit, but it'll probably be up tomorrow or today.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #584 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »

grimdark surrealist compositions involving domestic animals (I laughed way harder than I probably should've at the screaming-dog engraving)

"After everything settles down I decide to engrave some things in my future tomb. Clearly I have suffered some sort of trauma."
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42