Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 46130 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #540 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:33 pm »

Build a frog monument or something?

But that would be like Boatmurdered! And its a little too early.

The actual entrance area was originally supposed to be the huge area south of the trade depot. Magma would come in from one end and water from another, so the entrance could be flooded with steam. The magma would flow on the right side. You can try implementing that system. Otherwise, build more traps.

A proper disaster should leave the fort standing, but eliminate some of the nobles, and un-named individuals who aren't essential to the fortress. Try hunting outside wildlife.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #541 on: February 23, 2013, 09:10:21 pm »

Magma would come in from one end and water from another, so the entrance could be flooded with steam.
I'm pretty sure that steam isn't lethal in this version - I seem to recall that it lost its lethality when proper temperature support was added in either v0.22.120.23b or v0.23.125.23a, so in 0.23.130.23a it's likely just as harmless as it is in 40d and later.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 23, 2013, 09:48:36 pm »

Magma would come in from one end and water from another, so the entrance could be flooded with steam.
I'm pretty sure that steam isn't lethal in this version - I seem to recall that it lost its lethality when proper temperature support was added in either v0.22.120.23b or v0.23.125.23a, so in 0.23.130.23a it's likely just as harmless as it is in 40d and later.

It might be a good idea to test this out. Got a spare noble?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #543 on: February 23, 2013, 11:36:53 pm »

I've just tested it using DFHack to spawn a puff of steam near some units, and it had no effect at all.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 24, 2013, 06:01:04 pm »

Autumn playthrough finished. Next-to-nothing happened. Might be a while before I start on the update; actual fort events are pretty insubstantial, and I'm deciding whether to pad it out with some kind of character-based subplot and, if so, what.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 25, 2013, 04:54:01 pm »

I might be ready for Ruhn II to enter the story.
Is the manager currently taken?
My second choice would be one of the military squad leaders.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 25, 2013, 05:23:41 pm »

I might be ready for Ruhn II to enter the story.
Is the manager currently taken?
My second choice would be one of the military squad leaders.

I'll check when I start on the Winter playthrough. I'm not sure about the manager, but I definitely remember making a new squad with a nameless leader that you can have.

I've started on the Autumn writeup. I'm feeling a bit sluggish right now; gonna wait until I have more energy before continuing.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:01 pm »

[Sorry about the wait; I would have posted this yesterday, but my Internet was down.]

4 Limestone 1057

The Deep Things have been telling me that I should try to forgive them for taking Little Brother from me. I think they're right, even though I still don't trust them, but I'm not sure if I can. I feel like I've been unfair to them, that maybe there really is a good reason for what they did... but how do you forgive something like that? I want to forgive them, though. I want to.

8 Limestone 1057

The smiths have been pumping out bronze armour endlessly since I gave the order. Good for them, I guess. Problem is, though, I also ordered them to make bronze maces, which they haven't. We have enough armour to suit up half the fortress, but barely enough maces to fill a weapon trap. Guess these fleshbags don't have enough common sense to fill a mug even when they are following their orders. Pathetic. I've ordered both forges to focus on making maces and only maces. The Things want to hear the crunching of bones, and so do I.

10 Limestone 1057

The cave river flooded again today. Nobody important was hurt, but one of the nobles got swept off. I hope the worthless [scribbled-out word, begins with 'c' or 'o'] drowns:

She floundered for I bit, and I got my hopes up, but then she splashes over to the other bank almost by accident:

Lucky bitch. I wanted to push her back in myself, maybe after hitting her head with a rock, but there were too many people watching.

12 Limestone 1057

The caravan from the Mountainhomes arrived today. I wanted to pull the lever to turn on the thing that floods the outside with magma, so I could watch the fuckers burn, but I guess they might have something useful.

14 Limestone 1057

Not sure if our military's good enough. Personally, I wouldn't trust them to do their jobs properly no matter how many soldiers there are, but every little bit helps. I've created a new squad from some of the slacker carpenters and masons around here:

I order the louts to put on some armour and begin training. Nobody I talked to could tell me what our weapon stocks were, so these guys will have to fight bare-knuckle.

21 Limestone 1057

The smiths have been whining at me about how they don't have metal bars to work with. I told them to just shut up and wait until the smelters make more. They start moaning about work schedules and supply lines and a bunch of big words that don't mean anything. To sum it all up, they won't make any more maces until we have the stuff to make them with. Lazy shits.

I don't feel like wrangling with the twits anymore, so I've ordered what maces we have to be put into weapon traps:

Five maces per trap. These are probably some of the shoddiest maces I've ever seen -- I ought to brand the smiths as traitors -- but the traps are using the best mechanisms we have, which might be enough to balance it out.

23 Limestone 1057

A large band of [scribble] jumped out of the chasm today. They all pile onto a nearby sleeping miner and try to rip his limbs off or something:

It didn't work, though. They didn't even wake the miner up. [scribble] must be pretty weak.

Splint's asleep, but we still have an axedwarf squad, so I order them to assemble at the scene. Meanwhile, the miner finally wakes up and jams his pick into one of the [scribble]'s skulls. He runs out of the room after; another [scribble] chases him, and steps on the weapon trap in front of the door:

Two more [scribble] try to chase the peasants out of the room and are also killed by the trap. Meanwhile, the remaining [scribble] tries to attack a mule and gets so much crap kicked out of it that it can barely crawl away after:

By the time the first of our worthless militarydwarves finally gets to the scene, it's already over. The last [scribble] is gone -- probably went back into the pit to lick its wounds:

A groggy miner and a damned pack animal are a better fighting force than our official military.

The Deep Things say that the dwarves are a mistake, that they were sealed inside the mountain by the gods a long time ago because they wanted to destroy them. They say they've been using them to carry out their orders, because they can't break out of their prison by themselves. This makes sense. These dwarves -- even Little Brother, really -- are nothing but worthless garbage. They're right to want to get rid of them. They don't deserve to be imprisoned. I want to help them.

I've agreed to do as they say.

26 Limestone 1057

The caravan from the Mountainhomes has nothing of use. I wanted to pull the lever to burn them, but there are too many levers. It's hard to tell which is which.
[OOC: Actually, I just didn't feel like it.]

1 Sandstone 1057

I've ordered the digging of a private tomb for myself, close to the Deep Things. It'll be in the shape of a rune the Things say is important to them:

The miners looked at me funny when I told them. One of them got panicky, said something terrible would happen if we dug too deep. I told him to shut up and follow his damn orders. The Deep Things must be honoured, and if we happen to release them from their torture so they can finally get their revenge, all the better.

10 Sandstone 1057

The Deep Things were angry at me about the tomb. Something about 'indiscretion', whatever that means. They said that I can't do anything that will make the other dwarves suspicious. I apologised over and over, but they were still angry. They screamed at me in a horrible voice that made my entire body feel like it was on fire. I mustn't make them angry again.

They say we won't be able to do anything for a while because the dwarves are already suspicious of me now. I'm ashamed of myself for disappointing them.

15 Sandstone 1057

The Deep Things say they can control my body for me, so I don't make any more mistakes. I agreed to it. I don't want to disappoint them again. It was strange, having my arms and legs move without me thinking about it. I think it'll be easier this way. They'll still let me write in this journal myself, though.

20 Sandstone 1057

Another group of [scribble] jumped out of the chasm. This time, our military was already there to meet them:

They quickly slaughter the lot of them, though one clumsy speardwarf trips and breaks his hip:

The Deep Things thought it was funny. We got a good laugh out of it.

24 Sandstone 1057

My tomb's finally finished. The walls are engraved, and the door and coffin are solid gold -- though (of course) the smiths did a shoddy job. The engravers did a good job, though:

I must meet this 'Peregarrett' person. He seems like a good guy.

26 Sandstone 1057

[scribble] have been pouring out of the chasm one by one for a few days now. They get chopped to pieces in seconds, but they keep coming. We admire their persistence; these lumps could learn a thing or two from them. We kept hoping one of our soldiers would fall in the hole, but they didn't.

They stopped coming out after a bit. Shame.

2 Timber 1057

Those House assholes are still complaining about their rooms. We've ordered the walls engraved to shut them up:

We can't wait until we can finally kill them.

[Date Unknown]

[Past this point, the writing degrades into a barely-legible scrawl]

who am i  their thoughts are my thoughts  who am i

who am i what am i i dont know i dont know i dont know it hurts to think who am i

i am we  we are me

it hurts

im so  h a p p  y

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »

Well. That last entry is a bit concerning.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 27, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »

lol, I agree this has plenty of potential for fun.

Was the manager spot open?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 27, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »

Indeed it is.
And it seems that we now have a sort of burial chamber for our overseers. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33:14 pm »

@Ruhn:

Perhaps I should have clarified: I haven't actually played the fort since you asked. I basically play for a season while taking notes and screenies, then -- after the end of the season -- assemble them into an in-character update, which is usually written over the course of a few days.

Now, two things:
    Is it okay if I spend the remainder of my turn pulling levers at random to see what happens? The fort desperately needs to be destabilised somehow.
    Also, I wrote a bit of background material on demons that I'll be using to write the last update (that last entry was the last bit of Mr Frog's consciousness being subsumed by the demons; she's basically a mindless puppet now with no thoughts or desires of her own). Should I post it, to make sure everyone's on the same page in case they want to build on what I've written?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 27, 2013, 06:39:16 pm »

I'm fine with it.  I had a hard time motivating myself last turn to actually do anything with how boring it was.  We also need to start getting some species angry with us. 
Edit: A good idea might be to hook up a new set of levers, deconstruct the old ones, booby trap a few for disastorous results, and then turn the lance on.   If they want to turn it off, they'll have to risk blowing up the fort.  If they don't want to turn it off, they'll watch the fort burn. 
You might want a second opinion before you do this thou.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:42:31 pm by Lightningfalcon »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »

Dat engravings. I see we are finally producing works of art truly worthy of Dwarf Fortress now.

As long as the random levers aren't the ones connected to the magma cannon or farms or the old entrance, its ok. Those aforementioned levers are labeled, so they are not "random levers". I think your best bet would be to pull the lever at the bottom of the map to see what happens, as we don't know what it does yet.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2013, 09:36:18 pm »

You'll need to unlock the door and unforbid that area first. 
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42