Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47125 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 08:37:53 am »

Gather plants outside the fort, then set aboveground farms. Can surround them with walls for safety.
You've never played the 2D version before, have you?

There is no above-ground farming - farm plots can only be placed indoors, and they can only be placed on mud left behind by irrigation (whether natural or artificial). Farm plots also disappear at the beginning of Winter and have to be manually rebuilt in Spring (after you irrigate).

There are no constructions - once you dig out a tile, it's open space forever. Gaps can be filled in with buildings, but those buildings will be susceptible to building destroyers unless you use raising bridges (and those only work underground because outdoor bridges cannot be linked to levers).
Oh. No, I started from 0.28. Thats good that it's not my turn yet.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »

How much food do we have left?
None, at all, I could set some seeds to cooking, or kill the horse.

I'd recommend utilizing all animals we have left, possibly even turning on hunting on my dwarf (as a last measure).
I'll probably have to do that.

Also, have we filled the entrance with stone traps? Also set them next to river.
Not yet, I actually don't have a mechanic's shop up, I was working on where to dig out for it, when this happened, but I'll work on it.

As for how the fort's doing, I'm working on re-building the food room, while leaving a pillar to hold up the room so it won't happen again, and we have just made it into autumn, hopefully we can buy enough food and booze to make it through the winter, cause I won't have time to set up farms before then, so Splint, you'll be in charge of the new year's farming project.

Luckily, we should have enough stone mugs to sell for whatever is on the caravan, how do you think Ruhn had the experience for a quality sword?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »

That's fine. My only complaint is there's no resizable window for the version.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:05 pm »

Yeah, that's really annoying.

UPDATE:

19th Limestone
The merchants have finally arrived, after taking their sweet time crossing the river. We almost all starved to death, because APPARANTLY hauling mugs is more important than, oh, I don't know, SURVIVAL. But then SanDiego finally butchered the horse, so we now have no more draft animals, however, the dogs gave birth to a puppy, and the cats made a pair of kittens. Also, the cave river overflowed, not enough to flood, but now the ground in there is muddy, like that's any help anymore, but I'm still keeping the door locked. The well is now complete, as is the mechanic's shop, the kitchen and still are still pending constuction, though.
Oh, yeah, I made some coffers and put one in everyone's rooms. The merchants are still unpacking, as one of them still hasn't reached the depot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:47 pm »

Well, the trading is now done with, there was a lot less than I'd hoped for, nothing but a bunch of meat, cheese, and plump helmets.
I bought all of it, and we still have a TON of mugs left over.
The Derail Thread

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2012, 08:45:04 am »

How much food do you actually have now? Because you might be in for a bit of a shock once the first wave of migrants shows up...

Also, I would strongly recommend placing some stonefall traps around the well, since you will almost definitely get lizardmen (or frogmen or snakemen) crawling out of it soon...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2012, 09:02:30 am »

You can manually resize the window in init.

Also, do we have farms set up yet? At least some Nile-style?
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 10:44:12 am »

You can manually resize the window in init.
You can indeed resize the window, but the grid size will still be 80x25 and there's nothing you can do to change it.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 11:38:58 am »

How much food do you actually have now? Because you might be in for a bit of a shock once the first wave of migrants shows up...

Also, I would strongly recommend placing some stonefall traps around the well, since you will almost definitely get lizardmen (or frogmen or snakemen) crawling out of it soon...
we have 12 meat, 19 plants, which i think is all plump helmets, and 10 "other", which is the cheese.
I had not thought about the migrants, hmm....
As for protecting the well, that's another thing I'm working on, once I get some mechanisims.

Also, do we have farms set up yet? At least some Nile-style?
No farms at all, because they disappear in winter, but since I forgot about the incoming migrants, I think I'll have to do that just so we can top off our food stores to survive the winter.
The Derail Thread

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 12:02:01 pm »

we have 12 meat, 19 plants, which i think is all plump helmets, and 10 "other", which is the cheese.
No farms at all, because they disappear in winter, but since I forgot about the incoming migrants, I think I'll have to do that just so we can top off our food stores to survive the winter.
You're probably going to get around 20 migrants later in the season - unless you start producing lots of food now (farming probably won't help much unless you brought some Proficient farmers), your dwarves are all going to starve to death.

Remember how spectacularly Boatmurdered ended? It wasn't entirely due to mismanagement (though it was certainly a large factor) - the 2D versions of DF were much more difficult than what we play today. I'm not sure if I properly warned you about the difficulty of this version; hopefully it's not too late to save this fortress...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2012, 12:28:28 pm »

Couldn't we survive on fish from the brook or cave river until we can sow some fields?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »

Dwarves get hungry faster in winter. I'm not sure about the fishing, though if our horses reproduce it's ~6 meats per foal. Also, fat, that can be rendered and cooked into meals.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2012, 01:26:20 pm »

Dwarves get hungry faster in winter.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, and I can verify that fairly easily by checking my disassembly (unless there's some other code elsewhere that increments hunger in addition to the part that actually triggers hunger/thirst/drowsiness/etc).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2012, 03:53:43 pm »

You're probably going to get around 20 migrants later in the season - unless you start producing lots of food now (farming probably won't help much unless you brought some Proficient farmers), your dwarves are all going to starve to death.
Remember how spectacularly Boatmurdered ended? It wasn't entirely due to mismanagement (though it was certainly a large factor) - the 2D versions of DF were much more difficult than what we play today. I'm not sure if I properly warned you about the difficulty of this version; hopefully it's not too late to save this fortress...
Well, aren't you a downer? I'll find a way.

Couldn't we survive on fish from the brook or cave river until we can sow some fields?
I'm pretty sure we can do that.

Dwarves get hungry faster in winter. I'm not sure about the fishing, though if our horses reproduce it's ~6 meats per foal. Also, fat, that can be rendered and cooked into meals.
If we still had horses, yeah, but we already ate it. I think hunting, fishing, and gathering will be a big role to survival. At least the cougar wandered away, all that's left are about two dozen groundhogs to eat.
The Derail Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

That is if any will yeild any meat. I've had hunters get some animals only to have a skull int he shop because that's all they yielded. On the plus side I heard training dummies rather than groundhogs.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42