Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort  (Read 47126 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: CraftedDreams - A 2-D Succession Fort
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2012, 02:19:08 pm »

To reitterate: Hell yes.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:23 pm »

The small mouth bass are biting pretty good right now, I'll get working on another sword once I run out of worms.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:19 pm »

Yeah, the way I see it, the fortress weaponry are as follows:
2 copper picks, held by Pitcheblende and LightningFalcon,
2 copper axes, held by CaptainArchmage and Mozum the lumberjack,
1 crossbow with iron bolts, held by Sandiego,
and 1 rock sword, held by Ruhn.

We have one more obsidian boulder to turn into the other sword, and the only dwarves without any weaponry are Peragerratt and the metalsmith, Reg.
Naturally, the sword shall go to peragarrett, and another weapon will be forged for Reg.

Because of this, I'm focusing a little bit more on armor, hence the chain mail shirt for Ruhn.
Any suggestions for the weapon for Reg?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »

We have one more obsidian boulder to turn into the other sword, and the only dwarves without any weaponry are Peragerratt and the metalsmith, Reg.
Naturally, the sword shall go to peragarrett, and another weapon will be forged for Reg.

Because of this, I'm focusing a little bit more on armor, hence the chain mail shirt for Ruhn.

For now I'd actually recommend sticking with wooden bolts. Iron is important for other purposes, such as turning into steel for axes, swords, spears, and armour. This way we'll be able to save our metal for more effective weapons and stick the elves with what they're asking for.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2012, 09:46:48 pm »

For now I'd actually recommend sticking with wooden bolts. Iron is important for other purposes, such as turning into steel for axes, swords, spears, and armour. This way we'll be able to save our metal for more effective weapons and stick the elves with what they're asking for.
Well, the iron bolts came for free when SanDiego's dwarf came in as a trapper, he brought it with him, but we have a big, huge, MASSIVE problem that just happened...
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:50 pm »

Cave-in? Snakeman invasion? Winter? Flooding?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »

UPDATE:

23rd Galena
Well, we're officially doomed, a terrible tragedy has occured....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our entire food storage room has collapsed, destroyed every single building in the room, and COMPLETELY wiped out our food stores, our booze stockpile, and our ways of producing more until we can re-mine the area in a safer, cave-in proof way.
There are, however, two articles of good news. One, nobody was in or near the room when it happened, so nobody was killed or injured, and Two, there is still ONE barrel left, it is full of seeds for farming, once we get muddy soil.
The Derail Thread

Pitchblende

• Bay Watcher
  • Ne cede malis
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:04 pm »

Oh, shit.

I guess we'll sustain ourselves with water and fish?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »

Screw that. Kill the other draft animal and start sowing the dirt outside. NEED MOAR BOOZE.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:32 am »

No.  Starting up a farm would take too long.  I'm relatively sure that if we kill whatever livestock we have, that we can distill it's blood into alclohol. Or failing that, we can kill one of our own.  Dwarf blood is pure concentrated booze, so if we dilute it, we might be able to make it last a while. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:29 am »

Screw that. Kill the other draft animal and start sowing the dirt outside. NEED MOAR BOOZE.
I already tried that, you can't farm outside in this version.

No.  Starting up a farm would take too long.  I'm relatively sure that if we kill whatever livestock we have, that we can distill it's blood into alclohol. Or failing that, we can kill one of our own.  Dwarf blood is pure concentrated booze, so if we dilute it, we might be able to make it last a while. 
But I will have to start one sooner or later, I'm thinking of using channels or some such to pull some water back towards the fort proper, and start some farming there in a bit more safety.
I'm also working on a well right now.
The Derail Thread

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 09:54:12 am »

I already tried that, you can't farm outside in this version.

But I will have to start one sooner or later, I'm thinking of using channels or some such to pull some water back towards the fort proper, and start some farming there in a bit more safety.
I'm also working on a well right now.

How much food do we have left?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »

I'd recommend utilizing all animals we have left, possibly even turning on hunting on my dwarf (as a last measure).
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

Gather plants outside the fort, then set aboveground farms. Can surround them with walls for safety.
Also, have we filled the entrance with stone traps? Also set them next to river.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2012, 08:20:07 am »

Gather plants outside the fort, then set aboveground farms. Can surround them with walls for safety.
You've never played the 2D version before, have you?

There is no above-ground farming - farm plots can only be placed indoors, and they can only be placed on mud left behind by irrigation (whether natural or artificial). Farm plots also disappear at the beginning of Winter and have to be manually rebuilt in Spring (after you irrigate).

There are no constructions - once you dig out a tile, it's open space forever. Gaps can be filled in with buildings, but those buildings will be susceptible to building destroyers unless you use raising bridges (and those only work underground because outdoor bridges cannot be linked to levers).

[edit]

I'm relatively sure that if we kill whatever livestock we have, that we can distill it's blood into alclohol. Or failing that, we can kill one of our own.  Dwarf blood is pure concentrated booze, so if we dilute it, we might be able to make it last a while.
Not sure if serious...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:30:02 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42