Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68386 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor: Turn 27: Claws: Nature's Crampons
« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:33 am »

My attacks tend towards the unspecified if I don't understand where I am in relation to my foe. For instance, I thought I was already on top of the hadrosaur like you always see raptors doing.

Leap onto the Duckbill's flank.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:37 am »

Ripmaw stayed close to Hooktoe, ready to support him if things became violent. He listened to the volume and pitch of the snatcher's howling, trying to determine if they were summoning reinforcements or just trying to frighten us off.
He spoke quietly to Hooktoe, "We could take five of them rather easily, I'm sure, but more than that could overwhelm us. If this comes to violence, it should be on our terms rather than their's."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #467 on: December 19, 2012, 11:56:31 am »

My attacks tend towards the unspecified if I don't understand where I am in relation to my foe. For instance, I thought I was already on top of the hadrosaur like you always see raptors doing.[/b]

((I see. My intent was to state that you had mauled it's leg and then it shook you off, but I think the explicit reference to that got muddied in rewrites. If it's ever unclear in the future you can ask me where you are. :) ))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 19, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

My attacks tend towards the unspecified if I don't understand where I am in relation to my foe. For instance, I thought I was already on top of the hadrosaur like you always see raptors doing.[/b]
((I see. My intent was to state that you had mauled it's leg and then it shook you off, but I think the explicit reference to that got muddied in rewrites. If it's ever unclear in the future you can ask me where you are. :) ))
((Deal.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 20, 2012, 03:10:18 am »

Alright younglings, take the higher ground. Helps in the talonwork. Highleap, stay behind me as well as the rest of you.

I don't like rowdy Snatchers.

Position team in a tactical maneuver designed to see what lies beyond the enemy without initiating combat forcefully.

Try to take the higher ground!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 28: No Trespassing
« Reply #470 on: December 25, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »

((Oh noes, a whole week went by.))

Roll to Raptor - Turn 28: No Trespassing

Hooktoe decided to try talking to them. "Hey, losers. Have you seen one of our kind around here? We're kinda looking for him. And hunting. We might eat you if you don't answer me."

Ripmaw stayed close to Hooktoe, ready to support him if things became violent. He listened to the volume and pitch of the snatcher's howling, trying to determine if they were summoning reinforcements or just trying to frighten us off.

He spoke quietly to Hooktoe, "We could take five of them rather easily, I'm sure, but more than that could overwhelm us. If this comes to violence, it should be on our terms rather than their's."

Alright younglings, take the higher ground. Helps in the talonwork. Highleap, stay behind me as well as the rest of you.

I don't like rowdy Snatchers.

Position team in a tactical maneuver designed to see what lies beyond the enemy without initiating combat forcefully.

Try to take the higher ground!

(Sense 3,4,2-1,4) You all still think there are 5 Snatchers, and you don't see anything else likely to be dangerous.

Ripmaw (Cunning 5) thinks their vocalization is likely a territorial declaration. Reinforcements may come if they're in earshot but it's mostly directed at you.

Hooktoe yells out a rather brash inquiry to the Snatchers. If anything their words are harder to understand than the Deathbringer's dialect, but his proven facility for languages comes though. (Cunning 6-1+3[Situational]) There responce translates roughly as "Your kind has no business here. Trespassers forfeit their lives. Hunt elsewhere."

The Snatchers are directly up the hillside from you. The shortest route to higher ground than them would almost certainly look aggressive. Rather than approaching directly Moonfang leads the team up and around the side. They don't seem to want to allow this though and move up the hillside staying a little ahead of you.  They're still blocking your way East.

Eastern Summary:

You're about 12 miles NE of Nesthome, on a wooded mountainside. You've been following Charlie's trail Eastward. The Snatchers have made it clear you're not welcome in this area and are staying in your path.

-----------------------------------

Quote from: Rainstriker
Chase the big one

Rainstriker calls out that she'll try to keep the big one at bay. She chases after it as it barrels past and nips at it's heals. (Attack 4 vs 5)

Quote from: Songcall
Attack left rear leg again

(Attack 2 vs 2. Null. Luck 2) [Songcall loses Innitiative next turn]

My attacks tend towards the unspecified if I don't understand where I am in relation to my foe. For instance, I thought I was already on top of the hadrosaur like you always see raptors doing.

Leap onto the Duckbill's flank.

(Attack 4-1 vs 6) (Counter 6 vs 3+1. Damage 6 4 x 4 = 16) Ironhide leaps toward the duckbills side, but it turns at precisely the wrong moment causing it's huge tail to catch her in mid-air. She's is sent tumbling backward. She is badly shaken and bruised but rises to her feet.

You are still near it's right flank. Over on the other side you see the large duckbill charge up and smack little Songcall.

Violently hack the hadrosaur's slightly-more-vulnerable upper bits.

((This is a tricky position to maintain. Luck roll to not lose your balance when you attack and it will try to shake you off on it's turn. But you get the bonus from the Held status effect because you're standing on it.))

(Luck 5) (Attack 6+1 vs 3. Damage 1+1) Krakjaw starts tearing into the beast near the spine about level with it's front shoulders. It's tough hide proves difficult but he draws blood. The creature under his claws bellows and starts bucking wildly but Krakjaw maintains his grip. (Attack 1 vs 3-1)

Quote from: Big Duckbill
Try to trample a Hunter

The large duckbill turns it's considerable bulk and ignoring Rainstriker heads for one of the Hunters grouped around it's kin. It runs straight for Songcall and headbutts her rather hard as she harries the Small Duckbill. (Attack 5 vs 1-1 Damage 3 x 5 = 15)

Northern Summary:

You are a couple miles north of Nesthome near a lake.
Ironhide and Songcall were hit this turn.

Krakjaw is on top of the small Hadrosaur
Rainstriker, Songcall, Ironhide, the Small Hadrosaur and the Large Hadrosaur are all in close proximity to one another.

Combatants:

Small Hadrosaur: (2 tons) Wounded right-rear leg. Scratched left-front arm. Scrathched front shoulders.
Large Hadrosaur: (4 tons) Is not wounded

Nearbye Critters:

A few worried looking Hadrosaurs nearby but not in combat.
Further away some other collections of herbivores.
In the lake a giant crocodile which is busy eating.

----------------------------

General Summmary

It's about 15:00 in the evening. It's getting darker. ((Eastward Hunters are 30 minutes ahead.))
The wind is blowing from the NE and it's cloudy.

Spoiler: Party Condition (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 05:11:34 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor: Turn 28 - No Trespassing
« Reply #471 on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

Okay, let's review the situation Ironhide sees.

There are two Duckbills, each of which is much larger than the Hunters.
The Hunters number only a few, and have barely been scratching the little one. Now a Duckbill twice the little one's size has shown up.
Our hunger scores are around 3/4 or 4/5 of the maximum.
Only one course of action makes sense.

"Retreat!"

Ironhide makes a retrograde advance.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 25, 2012, 05:27:34 pm »

(Thanks for the bonus. ^^^ It's a little thing but I'm happy that my RPing earlier with the Deathbringer has an effect on Hooktoe's abilities. Maybe at this rate he'll actually be a leader fit to fill Strider's... shoes. Or lack thereof. :P And Merry Christmas from here, too.)

Hooktoe thought for a moment, then tried mimicking their vocalizations as he spoke. "Same goes for the areas west. If our kind catch your kind around our homes, we'll tear you apart. Got it?" He turned to his allies. "Let's go. These ones aren't worth our time, and if they've already claimed the territory there's not much point in going further this way. Let's head north and see what's that way." He suited action to word and started trotting north and away from the Snatchers.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 25, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »

Moonfang gave Hooktoe the curious eye.

W-what? But Charlie's scent is in their direction! I can smell it (well, now I can) and maybe they've probably killid him...

She looked back at the Snatchers, giving off a warning call if they tried to tail us, and then poked Highleap in a friendly way, following Hooktoe.

Ripmaw, let's go...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 25, 2012, 10:02:03 pm »

"I know it is, Moonfang. But since that's the Snatcher's home territory, it's been a while since he left on his own, and they're here and he isn't, I'm pretty sure he's been eaten. Can't exactly bring him back home unless you wanna get him out of their stomachs. We could take that group no problem, but I dunno how many of them are back at their nest. I'm the leader here and I ain't putting you three at risk just because one of our own forgot what Dad said about sticking together," Hooktoe responded, flexing his hands as he did so. "Now, let's keep moving."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 25, 2012, 11:32:28 pm »

Ripmaw stood for a second, staring at the Snatchers, angry at this change. He wanted to go through them, cast them down and gorge on their flesh, then find the wayward packmate, but it was obvious that he would receive no assistance from the others. Grudgingly, with much hissing at the Snatchers, he started to follow Hooktoe and Moonfang.
As he caught up with them, he hissed softly at Hooktoe, "After this, I'm never leaving anyone behind, even if it means I die with them. Leader or not, Strider's words or not. A pack that doesn't look after it's own is a pack I want nothing to do with."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 26, 2012, 12:07:58 am »

"That was what he meant. Or at least that's what I think he meant. We don't leave anyone behind because we're supposed to stay grouped up. If we don't, we die. A lone Hunter can survive on his own for awhile, but without someone to watch your back you're going to be lunch sooner rather than later. So, stick with me and I'll keep you alive, all right?"

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #477 on: December 26, 2012, 02:35:27 am »

Highleap hops out of the bed of ferns she was hiding in and returns Moonfang's friendly bump.

When Ripmaw speaks she cocks her head slightly as if surprised, then she appears to think deeply for a moment. As you go she sidles up to Ripmaw and says quietly to him, "Do you think we should keep going after Charlie? It's not yet been a day, he might live."

Highleap follows Ripmaw acting as rear guard.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 26, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »

Ripmaw doesn't even hesitate. "Yes. If there is even the slightest chance he might live, we should do whatever we can to find him." A tinge of bitterness and resignation enter his tone, and he continues, "But I am not the leader. I'm just a foolish bully. And Hooktoe is right, Charlie is more than likely already dead, despite my hopes."
He's fucking with us.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »

"in a sec"
Go for one last strike at the jugular. Oh, and try to hold on as well.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 36