Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68455 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 15: I love the smell of blood in the morning
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2012, 01:33:18 pm »

Strider looked down at his erstwhile foe, slowly expiring. He felt no triumph here. All he saw was his own death, staring him in the face. An odd kinship with a hated enemy. How long until their positions were switched?

He growled low, not even sure if the Snatcher could hear him.

"Point of fact, I despise you. But that doesn't suggest I don't respect you. Dying quickly is a luxury our kind is rarely afforded. My gift to you..."

Strider broke the Snatcher leaders neck with a single, quick twist. Then he began to feed, taking time to catch his breath. At least I walk away today, he mused.

Strider sang his Clans victory call, first-which told everyone to gather around.

He then whistled and clicked to the rest of the pack.

"Good work, everyone. We've bloodied the Snatchers as they deserve and taught them to be wary us once more. Take time to regain your breath and partake of meat, for the hunt has just begun...Tepin, Charlie-do not pursue that one. Let him take his fear back to his clan.

...and, do not annoy the Small-Wings too much, they are not our enemies today. They clean the battlefield, taking the spirit to the sky with them. And there are many spirits here in need of raising."
Strider said, nodding to the winged ones, who he hope caught the idea.

While his kind couldn't be said to have Religion, there was a basic belief in the cycle of life, of one thing leaving and another coming back-as well as Karma and bad luck. Small-Wings could be annoying-and rarely dangerous if provoked, or if one was vulnerable-always pecking at Hunter kills, but there was little point in attacking them when they could just flap away. Strider had learned to more or less ignore them as he grew older. They were a fact of life, as common as rain and as pointless to worry about.

Afterwards, he approached Hooktoe, nudging him slightly. Along with himself, Hooktoe had powered through the battle with barely any injuries. It was the sign of a leader, to emerge unscathed before his troops. If Hooktoe took his place, it would be less through tactical acumen and more through leading by example-he would need a cunning second in command to help him make decisions...

"You made me proud today, son." He says, echoing a rarely expressed respect. In truth, he had long despaired Hooktoe would meet anything but an early death, and kept his thoughts guarded. But maybe things could be different...maybe there was hope.

Action: Mercy kill Snatcherboss with a broken neck, then proceed to feed and rest a spell. Indicate to the Peterosaurs we're not interested in a fight.  Do a loud victory call to try and get the party together, as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:42:29 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2012, 02:39:15 pm »

"Hy dd. Dd yu se tt?!" Hooktoe said indistinctly, the snatcher's head still in his jaws. After a moment he realized it was interfering with his speaking and threw it aside, just as Strider said "You made me proud today, son." Hooktoe whistled softly, not saying anything in response, but was very pleased about that indeed. He knew he wasn't as smart as his dad by a very long shot, but he still wanted to be a great hunter like him and maybe even lead the pack someday. Eh, that was never going to happen. One had to be smart to lead the pack as well as strong. It was more likely Charlie or Moonfang would end up as the next pack leader; both were older than him, anyway. This was only what, his fourth, fifth hunt?

Instead he just nuzzled Strider for lack of words to say, then began to feed off the corpse he and Ironhide had taken down. He needed to get his strength back up so that when they continued on to the actual 'prey' part of the hunt he would be able to tak everything down with ease.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:30 pm »

Eat some Snatcher, and bring some more back to the nest once everyone's ready to go.

I believe that was a successful day. Let's rest before more Snatchers raid out nest.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2012, 06:49:01 pm »

((Regarding Rest and Healing

You'll get back some Stamina for each hour rested. A little more if you actually sleep.

Every morning you'll get a chunk of hitpoints back. Resting after combat will help a little too. (Because conceptually you clean your wounds.)

Injuries matter in this world. It's not quite as hardcore as real life, but if you take a pounding it will be with you a while.))

*edited to fix broken sentance.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:42:52 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:53 pm »

Doesn't it make sense to get back to the nest, with its vulnerable chicks and well-known area and such, before resting and cleaning wounds?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2012, 10:07:22 pm »

Keep following.  Hunt this bastard down.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2012, 12:57:04 am »

((You didn't hear our leader? XD))

You aren't worthy to be killed by my claws. So let me end this quickly.

Moonfang crouched over her prey, angling her head to inspect the dying beast's reaction. She could feel the warmth recede from its body, and its eyes tear up in its final breath.

Coup de grāce.

Begin feast.

After eating her kill, Moonfang heeded the rallying cry and returned to her pack-mates, choosing to rest with them and lick her wounds. She glanced at Hooktoe and a feeling of happiness welled in her - the youngling-hunter did his good man a proud victory.

Probably next in line for leadership, but that wouldn't be coming anytime soon. Strider was like a Father to her as well as to the entire pack. She felt bonded to the rest of them...in a way.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 16: Good Luck Charlie
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2012, 01:48:23 am »

((For clarity of discussion:  A whole Snatcher carcass weighs ~140 pound. A single Hunter could drag such a weight with some difficulty. It's 1.6 miles home as the crow flies.))

((Also this turn was written under the influence of a migraine. If anything is messed up or incoherant let me know. :P ))

(( No one really specified how long they wanted to rest near the kills, but as it happened Charlie needs to make a decision after an hour passes, so the turn stopped there. At the moment keeping the time progression tied together seemed simplest.))

*great roleplay snipped*

Action: Mercy kill Snatcherboss with a broken neck, then proceed to feed and rest a spell. Indicate to the Peterosaurs we're not interested in a fight.  Do a loud victory call to try and get the party together, as well.

You whisper to the dying boss, his eyes are glazed, who knows if he heard or understand. A quick bite and a sharp jerk hastens his demise. You feed and then settle down to rest for a time.

Tepin hears your call. He comes over, touches noses then looks around for a minute.

"I have done what I set out to do today. It will not bring my eggchicks back but it felt like justice, and perhaps it will protect the ones who remain. Thank you for your help.

I wish to return to my Mate and remaining offspring and bring them some meat. There is far more meat here than we can eat today. I could tell the tribe you have made kills and any who can travel could come and feed. Or I will stay and assist you with any plan you have about it. It would be wrong to waste riches that we bought with our own blood.

Leaving you to consider he walks over to the corpse of the one he himself killed, and after shooing away a few small-wings begins to eat the choice bits before sitting down to rest and lick his wounds for a while.

(Sense 5+1, Cunning 4+1) You see the number of opertunists increasing, besides the winged ones there are quite a few creatures built like yourself but hardly larger than a chick. They don't dare to approach. To them you must seem as intimidating as the Death-Bringers [Albertosaurus] do to you.  Everyone seems to have someone bigger than them. Well maybe The Great One[Acrocanthosaurus] doesn't. At least you hope not.

[Tepin Heals 5 HP and Recovers 4 Stamina. Hunger Satiated.]
[Strider Heals 4 HP and Recovers 9 Stamina. Hunger Satiated.]

((OOC  Tepin has served his function story-wise and will leave the party at the first reasonable opertunity.))

"Hy dd. Dd yu se tt?!" Hooktoe said indistinctly, the snatcher's head still in his jaws. After a moment he realized it was interfering with his speaking and threw it aside, just as Strider said "You made me proud today, son." Hooktoe whistled softly, not saying anything in response, but was very pleased about that indeed. He knew he wasn't as smart as his dad by a very long shot, but he still wanted to be a great hunter like him and maybe even lead the pack someday. Eh, that was never going to happen. One had to be smart to lead the pack as well as strong. It was more likely Charlie or Moonfang would end up as the next pack leader; both were older than him, anyway. This was only what, his fourth, fifth hunt?

Instead he just nuzzled Strider for lack of words to say, then began to feed off the corpse he and Ironhide had taken down. He needed to get his strength back up so that when they continued on to the actual 'prey' part of the hunt he would be able to tak everything down with ease.

After speaking with your father you go over to one of your kills and have a meal and a brief rest. You yourself came though without a scratch, but some of the others were not so lucky. You help them lick their wounds clean. Years ago your mother told you that dirt and the spit of enemies could make a wound rot and kill a strong Hunter.

(Sense 5) Looking around alertly while you chew and swallow you notice that word of fresh meat is spreading rapidly. Besides the fliers you occasionally see what look a little like tiny 1 foot high versions of yourself hanging around nearby. They tend to slip back out of sight when you stare at any one of them.

[Hooktoe Regains 10 Stamina. Hunger Satiated]

Eat some Snatcher, and bring some more back to the nest once everyone's ready to go.

I believe that was a successful day. Let's rest before more Snatchers raid out nest.

You eat your fill, occasionally urging the others to hurry up. They don't seem to want to start off right away which is frustrating. Pragmatically you sit down to rest and clean yourself off for a little bit while they are messing around.

[Ironhide Heals 8 HP, Regains 13 Stamina. Hunger Satiated.]

((You didn't hear our leader? XD))

You aren't worthy to be killed by my claws. So let me end this quickly.

Moonfang crouched over her prey, angling her head to inspect the dying beast's reaction. She could feel the warmth recede from its body, and its eyes tear up in its final breath.

Coup de grāce.

Begin feast.

After eating her kill, Moonfang heeded the rallying cry and returned to her pack-mates, choosing to rest with them and lick her wounds. She glanced at Hooktoe and a feeling of happiness welled in her - the youngling-hunter did his good man a proud victory.

Probably next in line for leadership, but that wouldn't be coming anytime soon. Strider was like a Father to her as well as to the entire pack. She felt bonded to the rest of them...in a way.

The Snatcher doesn't even react when you grab it's neck. A few seconds later it's dead beyond all doubt. You spend the next hour or so eating, and resting with the others. The others help you with the wounds on your head that you can't reach. It goes pretty well, you think you got all the dirt and nasty smelling Snatcher saliva out of your wounds.

[Moonfang Heals 7 HP, Regains 12 Stamina. Hunger Satiated.]

You're vaugely aware of Tepin saying Strider is calling and going back to the others. You're focused though. Food and rest can wait until the job is done. (Tracking 4+1) It starts out easy, but after about 3 miles you lose the trail for a bit. (Tracking 1+1) You do notice the scent of some sort of large herbivore carried by the wind from the NW at about this point. Maybe some type of long-neck.

After walking in expanding circles for a while you pick it up again (Cunning 3+1) and continue with renewed confidence (Tracking 6) Your prey seems to have stopped bleeding. But by this point the direction taken has become quite predictably East-NE as it continues accros a wide fairly flat area leading to a mountain. Ydon't have further trouble picking up the trail again even if you lose it for a few minutes.

After about an hour all together you've covered almost 10 miles before coming upon something interesting. (Sense 6) (Stealth 6+1) The air ahead reeks of Snatchers. Dozens of them. You can also occasionally hear them calling one another in their chirping language. The scent and sounds seem to mostly come from the other side of the ridge, the summit of which you are approaching. You're fairly sure you haven't been noticed yet.

You are now about 11.5 miles East-NE of Nesthome; partway up a small mountain.

[Charlie -10 food and Stamina from a long walk climbing hills. You are close to exhaustion.  37/100 Stamina. If you get in a fight you'll have about 4 turns at full effectiveness)

At a Glance:

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Charlie has gone lone wolf and after a long walk found a lot of Snatchers about 11.5 miles East-NE of Nesthome; partway up a small mountain.

Everyone else is now well fed, and a little more rested and healthy. There are Snatcher corpses and small scavengers around.  You're 1.6 miles NE of Nesthome; woods, bloody battleground.

It is a little before noon.
The wind blows from the NW.

Spoiler: Party Condition (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:11:47 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 16: Good Luck Charlie
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2012, 03:11:06 am »

Strider hooted.

"Let's bring this meat back home. The Scavengers are too thick today to leave them unattended..." In truth, Striders old wounds were tearing away at him and his vision was speckled with black. He didn't want to give up...but he couldn't go much longer.

He looked around. Charlie was gone. He doubted the Hunter would return, though stranger things had happened. Pity...a Hunters rage was a potent weapon, but it could also be a poison seething in the veins. The young hunter had forgotten a very important lesson.

Live together, Die Alone.

Even Hooktoe knew that.

Action: Order the pack to drag as much meat as we can back to the nesthome.

((OOC: I'm actually going to have to retire when we get back to the camp-I figure we need a chance to get more people from the waiting list when I (and if Char committing suicide) leave.

@Joben: Btw, it's nothing to do with the game-I'm leaving bay12 in about a week or so. IRL stuff. :( ))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2012, 03:14:45 am »

Hooktoe nodded and began following his father's orders.

(You'll be missed, Dwarmin. :'( I hope you can come back someday.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2012, 03:50:21 am »

(You'll be missed, Dwarmin. :'( I hope you can come back someday.)
((We all feel this. Nos sto per vestri pars, Dwarmin.))

Moonfang chirped her reply in turn, and nuzzled Hooktoe with her snout for his bravery while tagging alongside Strider.

Also, admire Strider and IronHide.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:59 am »

Hooktoe nuzzled Moonfang back, wondering if she was trying to tell him something.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:44 am »

You smell nice Hooktoe. That was a great hunt~

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:46 am »

((OOC: I'm actually going to have to retire when we get back to the camp-I figure we need a chance to get more people from the waiting list when I (and if Char committing suicide) leave.

@Joben: Btw, it's nothing to do with the game-I'm leaving bay12 in about a week or so. IRL stuff. :( ))

Well I'm sorry to hear that. You've contributed a lot to the feel of the gameworld. We'll miss you. If you ever come back to Bay12 i'd be happy to have you in my games again.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2012, 04:36:19 am »

Try to find one snatcher away from the rest.  Lure this snatcher away from the rest of his/her group, as far as possible, then SNEAK ATTACK him/her. 

((This is going to end so badly))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36