Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning of Turn 4  (Read 14654 times)

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning Turn 1
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 10:30:14 pm »

How old do kids need to be before they can work?
roughly 10. At this age, they function as roughly 1/2 an adult. At 17 they reach full adulthood.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:43 pm »

Nice time to set the little buggers to work.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »

This is bad. First, let's name the kid...Filium Primum Draco?

Spoiler: Turn 2 (click to show/hide)

How much would it cost to have a building built for Speciosam's loom, and how much could that bring in annually? On average.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 10:36:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(( Are we allowed to marry off our kids once they come of age? ))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:35:06 am by mesor »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 11:45:44 pm »

This is bad. First, let's name the kid...Filium Primum Draco?
How much would it cost to have a building built for Speciosam's loom, and how much could that bring in annually? On average.

You receive a quote on the building from a carpenter from a nearby town. It will take 8 sp and two years for a basic workshop, but the offer must be accepted by 1493. They will haul the loom for free, but the loom still costs 1gp.

Second, there's no guaranteed profits. I want to get this in the open, to all players. Just because you made approximately what you expected in farming does not mean it will happen again and again, you really need to do some thought about what is important in the world of the characters. Over time , you will shift away from specific tasks and into thinking about investments.

That's part of the "game" portion of this.. it's up to you to decide whether it is worth the risk. I will tell you Speci is the first craftsperson in the village, and that with harsh winters cloth (and therefore blankets, clothing, etc) is probably the trade good in highest demand locally.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:44 am »

That's what the "on average" means. I just want a rough estimate so I don't run myself into the ground for thinking the loom would make an annual gold piece when the average or estimate is closer to 2.5 silver pieces.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 07:38:31 am »

Baby 1 is named Lucas.
Baby 2 is named Maria.

Spoiler: House Kappel Actions (click to show/hide)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

I seem to be doing fairly well...

I assume better carpentry will allow me to do something like that to turn a small yearly profit. If not, I'll change things up.
Hopefully Volk will live a bit longer too... I have plans for the first daughter of our clan.

Oh, another thing to mention to help everyone out:

Thirdly, when our children reach a suitable age, how is marriage handled? Are inter-family marriages common/desired?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:50:12 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dynasties of Cairnwood Crossing -Beginning Turn 2
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 07:04:12 pm »

The Flow of the Dynasties
At any time in this game, you will control the apparent matriach and patriarch of the family - the most important elders. They may or may not have children with them.
As said before, your children must either leave at 30, or be promoted to matriach/patriach and accept a NPC spouse. Your character will be automatically assigned one of your current social status, UNLESS you are willing to pay for one higher. At that time, you will ask directly what the cost will be.

Here is how exactly the mechanics will work.

AT ANY TIME PAST THE AGE OF 20:
You may marry your child off to a NPC family. You will receive a one time payment ( A 'dowry', regardless of sex). Typically this is 6 silver pieces for someone of a peasant social status. You have a good chance at gaining prestige from this action. You will no longer have control of this child.

You may give your child money and/or land to start out on their own. You will receive money every turn for the rest of the game, based on the intelligence of the child, their life experience, and how well you equipped them from your estate (land, money, buildings,etc). Typically this is 1 sp/turn for a peasant with a minimum amount of land and no money. Obviously a child with a trade will contribute much more! You likely will not gain prestige from this action.You will no longer have control of this child.

AT ANY TIME PAST THE AGE OF 5:
You may also send your child to the military/nunnery/circus/etc. This is essentially gambling at best. You will receive a single reward that is solely determined on a dice roll on my end. You can receive zero reward. This will also hurt the prestige of your family. You will no longer have control of this child.

Intermarrying, interfamily marriages, etc. Your family may not have incestuous marriages or marry members of another player character family.

Prestige:

This is the overall societal status of your family. If you have high prestige, you are more likely to be elected to office, get better business deals, and eventually become a noble. Prestige is more than just having money - it is about having friends and a solid reputation.

You will not receive any statistic on it - it will be apparent from the events of the world.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:14:32 pm by Mullet Master »

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 07:16:31 pm »

That's what the "on average" means. I just want a rough estimate so I don't run myself into the ground for thinking the loom would make an annual gold piece when the average or estimate is closer to 2.5 silver pieces.
You are guaranteed to make back the cost of the loom within 5 years of weaving after accounting for raw materials, cost of selling, etc. After that, it is largely dependent on economy. This same statistic goes for almost any trade. Also, the character will gain skill, which can increase productivity, family prestige, and quality level, which has a decent effect on the amount of money made.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:23:06 pm by Mullet Master »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »

You are guaranteed to make back the cost of the loom within 5 years of weaving after accounting for raw materials, cost of selling, etc. After that, it is largely dependent on economy. This same statistic goes for almost any trade.
Thanks. Here's my actions:

Oh, and so I can choose a name: Can you describe the new baby? Gender, at least?
And, as knowledge for next turn, would it be possible to hire someone and have them work and live on your property? Magnum's not getting any younger...
And while I'm asking questions, is this a dwarf-like town (e.g. lots of masonry and mining) or more realistic medieval? On that note, is there any magic or whatever?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:45:45 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

He did it's a boy.
Thats what the ( M ) means.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 07:42:32 pm »

GreatWyrmGold: I think it might be more efficient if we're not both potters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »

Not that one,

That one.

GreatWyrmGold: I think it might be more efficient if we're not both potters.
Missed that, dangit!
Sig

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 07:51:10 pm »

Oh, and so I can choose a name: Can you describe the new baby? Gender, at least?
And, as knowledge for next turn, would it be possible to hire someone and have them work and live on your property? Magnum's not getting any younger...
And while I'm asking questions, is this a dwarf-like town (e.g. lots of masonry and mining) or more realistic medieval? On that note, is there any magic or whatever?

Babies will be assigned a gender, you name.

You can hire someone once there's an official economy ( meaning, enough population to justify regular monetary transactions) and unemployment exists. I will notify you in the turn info when there are unemployed workers and their prevailing wage rates, and length of contract, etc.

This town is whatever you shape it into. The mining is more realistic than DF - meaning one person can't do much good mining at all, and will require tons of labor or equipment. The world does not have magic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13