Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread  (Read 21422 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2012, 03:43:28 am »

Name: Aria Halgrey
Stats: Str 0, Dex 1, End 1, Int 2, Will 1
Skills: Rifle 1, Side 0, Close 0, Heavy 0, Sniper 0, Aux 2

Bio: Aria was a student specializing in biology when word got out that her planet was under attack by aliens. Her reaction to this was decidedly nonstandard- she saw it as a golden opportunity to harvest the invaders, learning all their secrets and absorbing all their strengths. Her... enthusiasm, unique outlook, and intelligence made her of interest to certain parties within X-COM, and after some basic training to ensure her vague competence as a soldier, she was included in the program to help diversify the roster and advance the agenda of learning more from the invaders first, completing other objectives second.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2012, 06:02:29 am »

=IronyOwl=
((Excellent. Excellent...We have Irony!))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2012, 10:49:43 am »

Ignore his rage.

Strange. Someone locked this door from the inside.. Watch yourself when I open this. I don't know whats on the other side.
Aliens? Whatever. Open the door manually.

With a grunt, you slowly haul the door open. The man makes no effort to help.

Peering into the now revealed General Storage reveals...a bit of a mess. The interior lights are flashing red on and off rapidly-alert status-and crates, goods and shelves have been tossed with their contents scattered all around. Beyond the stacks, you can see an access terminal-but it's going haywire, displaying strings of nonsense gibberish.

As you try to puzzle this out, a strange machine rolls into view-it's a humanoid Robot, about 6 feet tall, with forklifts for arms and tanktreads for an undercarriage. It sluggishly wanders about, occasionally picking up crates and then dropping them randomly, with no rhyme or reason to it's actions. It's faceplate seems to double as a videoscreen-and it's displaying the same bizarre strings of numbers you've sure you're seen before.

The man behind you-firmly behind you now-speaks up. "Um, that's a prototype power loader, one that can run unmanned if it has to. It's not even supposed to be online yet. You don't suppose it's dangerous, do you?"

=====================================================================================
Alex hesitates for just one last second, then stands up, taking his drink with him. Bidding Maggie farewell with a wave, he walks up to Kathryns booth, and gives her a heart-melting smile.
"Hey."

She looks up from her schematics, eyes widening. She smiles slightly.

"Um, hey.

Kathryn Summers. I work here-on the Squad, I mean. You too?"
She asks, her tones clipped and hesitant.

=====================================================================================
Ria nodded, "Yessir!" She disregarded his use of 'actually' in his sentence.

"I passed by and saw the banner, thought I would watch to see how things are doing in this place, for the lack of things to do. Was going to tinker with some of the rifles available but this interested me."

She glanced away before facing the man again. "What did you mean by actually?"

He adjusts his glasses.

"Not a lot of people are...into this sort of thing. Everyone thinks it's a game, but we're actually testing out prototype weapons and countermeasures. Still, it's a bit for geeks only. And you're um...a Squaddie right?" He asks, trying to seem relaxed.

-dead serious-
You mean I played video games with a dead guy?

COOL. So, am I free to go or something? I mean, I wasn't doing anything illegal or anything, was I? It was just...games, right?

The man nods. "...All right, he's not falling for it, guys."

A chuckling guard comes forth, opening the cage for you.

Your 'friend' was hiding down the hallway-he approaches, adjusting his hat and grinning. "We usually get more people with that joke-if you hadn't guessed, this was sort of an initiation, which you passed. Welcome to X-COM!

I'm Forest Balonsky-head programmer here. Bask in awe, yes?"
He says, good-natured smugness oozing from every pore.

Bingo.

Had to be a brain somewhere.  Chip is interesting.  It can't be that intelligent, but the circuit integration is quite clever.

"Looks like it's got several small redundant organic brains, and they're all linked to a chip in the center.  I could get the chip out, but it's protected by sharp-looking crystals.  Can someone toss me a flathead screwdriver?  It'd be easy to pry off then."

Ask.  If tool provided, pry it out.  Otherwise, exam is concluded.

A screwdriver is hurriedly produced and slid along the floor to your position-you take it deftly, and steady your grip...

Dexterity Check
[3][1+1]

Gritting your teeth, you insert the screwdriver into what you assume is the base of the chip-but it doesn't come out easily. You move in closer...and your hand slips a bit, brushing up against the green crystal. It doesn't hurt much-hardly more than a burr would-but it does open your skin, slicing right through your gloves. You wince, watching the blood drip...right into the creatures organs. Where the drop falls, the flesh begins to bubble and burst.

Instantly, the bombs detonates-the chemical reaction faster than your eye can follow.

*POP*

You don't die-instead, being covered in something horrible and sticky (Like peanut butter you muse, oddly)-but after a few seconds, you realize your skin isn't melting. Yay!

The voice comes from behind the blast shield again. You watch a bald head poke out-he seems a bit smug.

"...Uh, you were doing good there for a moment. What happened?

Also, I suggest you stay there-we're going to need to detox you from...whatever that was. It's not viral though, we're sure. Totally."

Meanwhile...

Jay Cin is about to sick.

It's a combination of a few things-a cloth bag over his head, the bumping of the Ox Transport taking him to God knows wherever X-COM HQ is, and a truly horrible hangover-no alcohol, they slipped the knockout drug into his tomato juice.

Those bastards.

He can hear, aside from the plane, two guards chatting amiably.

"...can't we take those things off of them? That guy looks like he's about to hurl."

There is a silent relent among the pair.

"Listen, we're going to take this off now-don't bother with questions, we can't answer any."

You blink rapidly as it is removed. You're sitting secured in the passenger bay of an Ox-a troop transport VTOL aircraft more commonly used by the Global Defense Initiative-and it's mostly empty. There's only two guards a woman aside from you...

The windows are blacked out with some sort of material. You have no idea what part of the world you could be in.

Aria Halgrey is bored. She supposes she's lucky-they didn't have to undergo the usual 'drug and drag' policy of X-COM during recruit-she has connections. But they've still got her cowled...

"...can't we take those things off of them? That guy looks like he's about to hurl."

"Listen, we're going to take this off now-don't bother with questions, we can't answer any."

She hears someone else being unbagged-then it's her time. She immediately takes in the area. Ox Transport. Well kept, but few passengers-only two guards and a another squaddie aside herself, possibly an American.

Aria feels a subtle change in air pressure-they must be starting their descent.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2012, 10:54:52 am »

((Thanks for doing all this work Dwar, you're great! ^-^ ))

"Squaddie, sir?"

"If you mean part of X-COM's agents, I- guess so. Though I am interested in prototype weaponry, do you think you could help me fix up a rifle I can use? Preferably one that could be used at long ranges as well as in short."
Ria said, taking no effort to mask her interest once he said the reason behind the event.

Say so!

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2012, 11:05:57 am »

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Forest. Now, do you want your cheat codes back or not?"

Give Forest back the disk if he wants it, and go grab a bite to eat.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:10 am »

Remain silent, examine the transport. Attempt not to vomit.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2012, 11:43:43 am »

Ugh.

Fighting back the urge to vomit, Lake wiped the goo off his face.  God know what he's covered in, though it's better than being a red stain over the walls.  There had certainly been accidents in his past, but this was certainly the most disgusting.

"Ugh.  I'm fine, at least as far as I can tell.  Fascinating, really.  I cut myself on that sharp crystal I mentioned, and a drop of blood fell on it.  The second that drop hit it, it set off a chain reaction that... well, yeah.  If they designed it to go after wounded soldiers, it's pretty bastardly."

"I would certainly appreciate someone getting this crap off me."

Wait for detox.  Think about the implications of the bomb's design.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2012, 12:04:28 pm »

Sarcastically. You think? I can't believe I'm doing this. Go fetch some real security before I get killed.
Peek inside the room and look for any cameras or sensors that the AI may be using to see. If there are none, then wait for the lifter to turn away from you before taking cover behind some boxes and getting out of his line of sight. Use the boxes as cover to get as close as you can to the terminal. Keep your eyes peeled for more cameras while you're making your move.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2012, 03:33:03 pm »

Aria considered the guard's disclaimer a moment. Sensible, that they wouldn't have the clearance to answer anything. She wondered if that included everything or just anything anyone would want to know.

First order of business, then, was figuring out what she could anyway. Normally that'd involve more uncomfortable staring than was really polite, but they'd already assured her that they couldn't answer anything manually. She tried to keep a straight face as she examined the guards like interesting pieces of artwork.

Examine guards closely. Equipment, physical condition, anything I can get out of just looking at them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2012, 05:10:37 pm »

Eat steak, drink booze, check time, small talk.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2012, 06:52:48 pm »

(( Do we get a mad doctor who performs experiments on us? ))
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 04:08:53 am by mesor »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »

Do we get a mad doctor who performs experiments on us?
((If you're speaking in OOC, do it with parentheses, please.

And you've got to find that out yourself. No meta.))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:16 pm »

"Yes, my name is Alexendre. Is this seat taken?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2012, 05:09:10 pm »

((Thanks for doing all this work Dwar, you're great! ^-^ ))

"Squaddie, sir?"

"If you mean part of X-COM's agents, I- guess so. Though I am interested in prototype weaponry, do you think you could help me fix up a rifle I can use? Preferably one that could be used at long ranges as well as in short."
Ria said, taking no effort to mask her interest once he said the reason behind the event.

Say so!

"Yeah, X-COM agents around here, we call em Squaddies...

As for the weapon you're talking about...I might have something just up your alley."
He says with a smile.

((@Tiruin: Experimental weapon pending Approval/Statting by Orb))
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Forest. Now, do you want your cheat codes back or not?"

Give Forest back the disk if he wants it, and go grab a bite to eat.

"You think that's my good stuff? Heh. Keep it-you'll need it."

You exchange goodbyes, and head back to the Bughunt.

There's a few people here-a guy chatting up a blonde woman on one table, and another guy eating a big steak by a secretary type. Maggie waves, and you end up ordering your own steak.

It's quite good.

Remain silent, examine the transport. Attempt not to vomit.

It's not the first transport you've been on. There's 24 seats lining a long central hall, underhanging compartments, and full body harnesses. It's fairly clean-you doubt it's been used very often, or very recently.

You feel a bump that causes your stomach to flip flop. Ooh. Time for descent...

Endurance Roll
[6-1]

You gurgle a bit, but keep your lunch down. Victory!

Ugh.

Fighting back the urge to vomit, Lake wiped the goo off his face.  God know what he's covered in, though it's better than being a red stain over the walls.  There had certainly been accidents in his past, but this was certainly the most disgusting.

"Ugh.  I'm fine, at least as far as I can tell.  Fascinating, really.  I cut myself on that sharp crystal I mentioned, and a drop of blood fell on it.  The second that drop hit it, it set off a chain reaction that... well, yeah.  If they designed it to go after wounded soldiers, it's pretty bastardly."

"I would certainly appreciate someone getting this crap off me."

Wait for detox.  Think about the implications of the bomb's design.

You muse on the bomb as you wait for Detox.

It's clear as an Organic Bomb, it acts as a guard dog would in many respects-the more you agitated it, the faster it was getting closer to detonating. Perhaps a gentler touch might be more useful in the future...on the other hand, it seems to have an innate explosion trigger when handled by Humans. You'll have to be careful not to get any fluids on it. From what you saw of the structure, it would probably be highly unsafe for Aliens to handle-which means they have some way of making it 'sleep', especially when it's being transported. It might be useful to figure this out yourself-find an Alien Demolitionst and his bag of tools?

The men in yellow suits arrive in time and spray you down with chemical hoses-you're removed, showered, and kept in isolation for about two hours while your bloodwork is being done. Eventually, when they don't find anything-they let you go.

The first person to meet you is the man you heard behind the blast shield. He looks pretty much like every other politician you've even seen-utterly nondescript, a blank face wearing a tie.

"...bang up job with the bomb, by the way. Really helpful. Names Dew. Just Dew." he says, faking a smile.

Sarcastically. You think? I can't believe I'm doing this. Go fetch some real security before I get killed.
Peek inside the room and look for any cameras or sensors that the AI may be using to see. If there are none, then wait for the lifter to turn away from you before taking cover behind some boxes and getting out of his line of sight. Use the boxes as cover to get as close as you can to the terminal. Keep your eyes peeled for more cameras while you're making your move.

The man skeddales at your order.

You peer into the room-you can see rotating cameras on the walls, but they seem powered down...

Taking a risk, you sneak into the room, evading the power loader and moving from box to box-the robot doesn't react to your presence even if it does see you. The terminal is in easy reach, and the robot has wandered into a corner-the terminal is still spewing seemingly random data-but the input dialog looks uncorrupted. It is random, right? You hope.

Now what?

Aria considered the guard's disclaimer a moment. Sensible, that they wouldn't have the clearance to answer anything. She wondered if that included everything or just anything anyone would want to know.

First order of business, then, was figuring out what she could anyway. Normally that'd involve more uncomfortable staring than was really polite, but they'd already assured her that they couldn't answer anything manually. She tried to keep a straight face as she examined the guards like interesting pieces of artwork.

Examine guards closely. Equipment, physical condition, anything I can get out of just looking at them.

You take the measure of two men.

Guard 1, nametag-Joe De'moley. Mid 30's, a bit overweight-but impressive muscles all the same. He's the man who suggested that the bags be taken off of you. Has the look of a man who eternally wishes he was somewhere else. Joe seems to have a habit of toying with the wedding band on his left hand-you've read some psychological studies that could indicate he's feeling guilty about something to do with his wife. As for arms, he's carrying an X-10 rifle (unloaded, with the safety on), and an older 45. pistol in a leather belt holster. Perhaps a family heirloom of some sort-or maybe he just thinks it looks cool.

Guard 2, nametag-Charles Delorean. Aging, likely over 40-his hairline is slowly receding, though it's an impressive silver instead of snowy white. Fit, strong-he obviously works out, likely harder than ever to counter his aging. You spot the out line of a tattoo on his left arm. US Marine Corps. He's carrying an X-10 Assault rifle and a Warhound Shotgun both slung on his back-you note the shotgun is not X-COM standard armament, and is in fact, quite illegal. Unlike his friend (and the way they treat each other indicates a general air of friendship), his weapons are loaded, safeties on.

He actually hasn't spoken yet-hasn't made a sound you can hear. You get an air of quiet danger from him. If it came to an unlikely firefight, he'd be the most dangerous one here, you're sure.

There's a bump in the flight. Descent. You're guessing it will take about an hour to descend fully, deploy the vtol system, and descend into X-COM HQ. Give or take a few minutes for pilot skill.
Eat steak, drink booze, check time, small talk.

That you do! It's a wonderful time...but you're getting eager for some action. You didn't sign up to eat steaks and drink-not all the time anyway.

"Yes, my name is Alexendre. Is this seat taken?"

"Nope, nope...this seats free. Have a seat, Alexandre. Nice to meet you." She says quietly, looking you over. There's a moment of silent judgement. She seems to accept your presence, and visibly relaxes.

"...so, why are you sitting with me? Um, most guys aren't into schematics..." The woman mentions, motioning to them. You can't make heads or tails of what it's supposed to be.

OOC: I'll be running a VR combat scenario soon, once our two new players land-it's going to be fairly fast paced, highly lethal. It's a nice way to bookend this before you other guys get into your mission. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

Take measure of the other passenger, and anyone else on the transport. See if there's any boxes or visible equipment loaded.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18