Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread  (Read 21364 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Roll to X-com/On Base RP Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

((Ugh.))

From here

"Of course it matters..." Ria said to herself as she strode out and into the corridor after thanking the doctor. The feeling awoke her inner fears, mostly on the sense of liking it. Drug addiction was one thing, but the conjunction given by the doc unsettled her.

She looked at the syringe with a tinge of guilt before stowing it away in a safe location.

Head to Research Sector, question if I could modify any of the rifles for personal use.
((Oh wow. Thanks for the warning chief. *Previous Action Edited*))
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:49:12 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »

((That was my feelings about it. You'd probably get another thing to do there.  :-\))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:33 pm »

Now that the effects of the energy drinks have worn off, I explain what happened.

Well, I walked into the lab, just to hang out and play some games, and there was this guy, in a fedora, and he seemed pretty concentrated in whatever he was doing, so I decided to challenge him to a competition in...Doom. Yeah...Doom. We weren't playing any racing games or anything... ANYWAY, we were about halfway through, and I had had about, like, ten energy drinks, and suddenly the alarm went off, just as I was about to cream him! Anyway, he somehow made it out, but I waited to get my copy of...SKYRIM! Yeah, I needed to get my copy of Skyrim out of the, uh, computer thingymajigger.

You believe me, right?"

The man makes a puzzled face.

"Tha's one hell of a story. You must be talking about Peace Wilkins...that's might odd. He was a pioneer in the early X-COM days, of the VR and Computer systems, he developed them from scratch-man liked his games, had a real competitive spirit. Maybe too much...

See, the thing is-we had a look at the surveillance tapes-there was no one in that room with you, Son.

Peace Wilkins has been dead for 15 years."

He gives you a deadly serious look, awaiting your response.
=====================================================================================
Meanwhile...

Carinthir Targelion sees the sun one last time as the lift descends. He sighs

His countries Diplomatic Liaison is standing by him, smiling proudly.

"Frankly, we're glad to have you here-I've just received word the X-COM accords have finally been pushed through the senate...we're anticipating great things.

Now, where to first? I can show you around the base if you like."

((OOC: Which country is your guy from, anyway? Fictionlandia is fine with me if you don't care, btw))

=====================================================================================
((I like the way you've set that up! Very nice indeed! :D))

Go to general storage and see whats going o
As you head to the GS, you pass a young Eastern woman coming out of med-bay. She looks troubled...and maybe sort of sick.

You walk on, coming up on a man alternately swiping his card and pounding on the door to what looks like general Storage. "Hello? Anybody in there? Open up!" He does not notice you at first.

When he turns back, his eyes narrow suspiciously. "Have you come to fix the damn door? I need 40 liters of saline or Doc Ramona is going to bite my head off. If I'm lucky, that'll be all she bites off!" he rants.

"Of course it matters..." Ria said to herself as she strode out and into the corridor after thanking the doctor. The feeling awoke her inner fears, mostly on the sense of liking it. Drug addiction was one thing, but the conjunction given by the doc unsettled her.

She looked at the syringe with a tinge of guilt before stowing it away in a safe location.

Head to Research Sector, question if I could modify any of the rifles for personal use.

You decide main engineering is a good stop-you'd like some extra firepower for the next mission...you pass by a large European man on your way. He seems fairly dangerous, but his eyes soften with pity at your reduced state.

As you open the heavy blast door to Main Egineering, though, the scene is hardly what you expected. All the technicians are running about, working on what seem to be small wheeled machines-most armed in some way, from firearms to razor blades to axes. They are all garishly decorated, and there seems to be teams set up in every corner of the place-all working furiously at last minute changes.

A banner hung over the place reads

WELCOME TO THE COM-BOT CHAMPIONSHIP 2076

Sigh. Is this even the right place to find a modified rifle?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:06:05 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:03 pm »

Shake your head and motion for him to calm down.
I'm not a part of the maintenance staff, I'm a field agent. I saw a notice on the holo-map and figured I should try to help you out. Those fellows do have a tendency to lay down on the job.

Look at the door and how it is sealed (hydraulic, mechanical lock, etc.). Find the door's maintenance panel try to open it. If it is sealed, search for something to pry it open. If nothing is to be found, use your hands instead. Once the panel is removed, see if you can identify which wires control the sealing mechanism.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:34 pm »

Hmm, a bot contest eh? Only heard of these in the news. Let's see what these techies are up to.

Ria moved over to the crowds to check in on the contest -- finding a rifle would take time, and this may be a good place to see ideas.

Watch ye contest!

Who was that man and...why did it look like he pitied me?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2012, 10:40:44 pm »

Meanwhile...

An old man sits in his office, drinking a few shots to calm his nerves.

He sighs, polishing off a brass nameplate. He hadn't thought to use one so soon. Especially not this one. He gets a call on the red phone. An X-Com agent confirmed dead.

In time, he heads into X-COMMAND-it falls silent. He rarely makes an appearance. The plate is heavier to bear than he thought it would be.

He walks to the North wall-previously empty, cold grey-and places the name plate on the wall, right in the center. The name on the plate is Feanor Lindon.

Inscribed above the wall are a few simple words.

THOSE THINGS WHICH ARE PRECIOUS ARE SAVED ONLY BY SACRIFICE
                          NEVER FORGET. NEVER FORGIVE.

The Old Man is tired.

But he refuses to sleep. He goes back to his desk.

And takes out the rest of the nameplates, polishing them soberly. The missions not over yet.

Shake your head and motion for him to calm down.
I'm not a part of the maintenance staff, I'm a field agent. I saw a notice on the holo-map and figured I should try to help you out. Those fellows do have a tendency to lay down on the job.

Look at the door and how it is sealed (hydraulic, mechanical lock, etc.). Find the door's maintenance panel try to open it. If it is sealed, search for something to pry it open. If nothing is to be found, use your hands instead. Once the panel is removed, see if you can identify which wires control the sealing mechanism.

"Just open it aleady, okay Jarhead?" He says, crossing his arms.

You begin a through inspection. The man taps his foot impatiently.

The door seems mechanical in nature...

"...Yeah, this is one of the newer doors-it's entirely mechanical. You're not going to find...a rope, or whatever you're looking for. The others you can open with a elbow grease and a primed handle...not that I'm strong enough to open one of those monsters anyway. You'll have to disengage the motor or whatever." He says petulantly. You do wonder, if he's so good at giving advice, why he couldn't do this himself...

Continuing your adamant work, you detach the nearby control panel with a firm tug-the spot helpfully highlighted by an arrow-and look into the tangle of mysterious wires.

ntelligence Check
[6-1=5]

Whoever laid this out was extremely helpful-perhaps knowing in an emergency, anyone might have to manipulate the electronics. You find a full and clear blueprint on the inner side of the door, listing in English what is what. Feeling satisfied, you quickly disengage the wire that leads to the doors power system-it makes a *CRUNCH* noise. That is odd. It means the door was locked previously. By deduction, that means someone was already inside to do so...

The man seems more incensed.

"You dumbass! We'd need the Incredible Hulk to open the door now!" He rants, turning a pale shade of red himself.

Indeed, the door must be opened completely manually at this point-there are emergency handle grips inset for this purpose. The question is, what do you expect to find in there?

Hmm, a bot contest eh? Only heard of these in the news. Let's see what these techies are up to.

Ria moved over to the crowds to check in on the contest -- finding a rifle would take time, and this may be a good place to see ideas.

Watch ye contest!

Who was that man and...why did it look like he pitied me?

Within the hour, the techies assemble in the center of the room-placing their bots in a cage made of blast proof glass.

You watch the first match-Rocktogon Vs Carve Diem. Both machines look harmless at first...until one of them pops a tiny weapon from it's hull, and melts the other into a pile of circuits with some sort of blue laser beam. It's a quick battle.

"Rocktogon goes down! Next match is five minutes-Dr. Overkill vs Mr. Benihana!" A nerdy sounding announcer proclaims.

One of the enginerds bumps into you, laughing. He's a bit of a cliche-skinny, glasses, thin beard.

"Woah! Sorry there, Ma'am...you actually came to watch this?" He inquires.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2012, 10:43:35 pm »

Ignore his rage.

Strange. Someone locked this door from the inside.. Watch yourself when I open this. I don't know whats on the other side.
Aliens? Whatever. Open the door manually.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:45:50 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2012, 10:44:59 pm »

Alex hesitates for just one last second, then stands up, taking his drink with him. Bidding Maggie farewell with a wave, he walks up to Kathryns booth, and gives her a heart-melting smile.
"Hey."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:25:58 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2012, 10:47:06 pm »

Ria nodded, "Yessir!" She disregarded his use of 'actually' in his sentence.

"I passed by and saw the banner, thought I would watch to see how things are doing in this place, for the lack of things to do. Was going to tinker with some of the rifles available but this interested me."

She glanced away before facing the man again. "What did you mean by actually?"

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »

((Also, crunchy doors? What was X-COM thinking?))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:10 pm »

((Emergency rations.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »

((Emergency rations.))
((Emergency? On my way.))

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:53 am »

-dead serious-
You mean I played video games with a dead guy?

COOL. So, am I free to go or something? I mean, I wasn't doing anything illegal or anything, was I? It was just...games, right?

Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2012, 10:31:34 pm »

Bingo.

Had to be a brain somewhere.  Chip is interesting.  It can't be that intelligent, but the circuit integration is quite clever.

"Looks like it's got several small redundant organic brains, and they're all linked to a chip in the center.  I could get the chip out, but it's protected by sharp-looking crystals.  Can someone toss me a flathead screwdriver?  It'd be easy to pry off then."

Ask.  If tool provided, pry it out.  Otherwise, exam is concluded.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2012, 12:46:56 am »

((I basically skipped all 7 pages and came here to submit a character sheet. This is the right place, correct?))

Name: Jay Cin
Stats: 3 Int, 1 Will, 1 Dex
Skills: 2 Aux, 1 SideArm
Bio: Jay is a former Army private, selected for his intelligence and skill with electronics and mechanics. He's very shy, and tends to avoid crowds. He has an opposed stance toward cursing and drinking, and is a failure at hard labor, preferring to think tactics than lift a minigun.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18