Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441125 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1005 on: March 20, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:00:00 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 20, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »

I'm going to build a new barn and coop and demolish the two I placed badly.

You could spare one of the barns, and have lots of kegs/barrels in it.
Considering lightning can destroy any placed item outside as well as your crops, this is probably a good idea.
Meteors can do this, too. <_<

But at least they give you a bit of iridium back, once you can break them.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 20, 2016, 02:23:07 pm »

Just made it to winter for the first time. Foraged some holly berries, noticed you can eat it for health/energy recovery.

...Isn't holly poisonous?

Not only are they poisonous- they are prickly.

New update today - holly is poisonous now.

Also, spouse dialog has apparently been improved, with stuff unique to each spouse. Instead of pancakes, my waifu Abigail gave me a bomb for breakfast. :D~♥
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 20, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »

I half expected Abby to give you something crunchy like diamonds for breakfast.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1009 on: March 20, 2016, 03:44:47 pm »

Whew, finally was able to go back to the game and do my midgame video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q1ZcNIne6g

Shows off a bunch of sprinklers, combat, and a very ramshackle thrown together not designed at all farm.

... Unfortunately, looks like I pushed the resolution a BIT too high.  With my old CPU, looks like I really need to record at like 720p to avoid frame drops.  Maybe this year (been putting it off 4 years now) I can finally upgrade my computer come Cyber Monday.

Anyway, since I recorded this I've gone back and actually gotten to the Desert.  Definitely a bit harder dungeon there.

Also on patchnotes: Value of most animal products increased.
Huzzah!  I was kinda hurting going animal route vs farming, it just didn't seem to be worth it as a choice, plus really breeding animals doesn't seem worth it either, what with prized cows or whatnot not actually being worth much comparatively (and of course of how rare it is for them to give birth).
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 20, 2016, 08:36:47 pm »

For those of you interested, ConcernedApe did an AMA on Reddit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 21, 2016, 01:12:22 pm »

ConcernedApe 60 points 19 hours ago
I might improve on it. There are already a lot of hidden variables that do get passed on from generation to generation of slime, along with a mutation factor. So Theoretically you should be able to create a line of iridium dropping (purple) slimes that only do 1 damage

This needs a lot more science.  I'm going to have to experiment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 21, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »

If only you could have the slime data known.  You'd have to have an exceptionally large breeding pool to do trial and error.  Like, base your whole farm on slime breeding and follow large scale trends.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 21, 2016, 05:02:00 pm »

If only you could have the slime data known.

Well, save files are in XML format, apparently.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 22, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »

So I was thinking of starting up a new character and running the sustainable farming challenge that has been brought up before and spent a little while building up a fuller set of rules. Comments, things I've missed, Things that are too harsh/easy?

Sustainable Farming Challenge
  Setup

Create character and using a little savegame editing give yourself a single seedmaker.

Spoiler: How to add a seedmaker (click to show/hide)

Farming

You may only purchase a single example of each seed. Further seeds can only be obtained by use of the seedmaker or through quest/bundle rewards.

You may only purchase a single sapling of each fruit tree per year. Fruit trees must be maintained in equal numbers between varieties(no planting a second until you have one of each).

A maximum of 24 plants of the same variety may be planted at any one time.

Produce that can be made into seeds, eg from the Caravan, can be freely purchased.

You must grow every type of plant that is available to you each season. If seeds are available, and sufficient time remains in the season for a harvest, each crop should be planted up to it's limit of 24.

Fertilizer and Sprinklers may be freely used.

Once the Greenhouse is unlocked, up to five plants per type may be planted within it. These do not count towards the normal 24 plant limit for a type.

A sufficient stockpile of seeds for each plant should be established by the end of each season to fully replant the following year.

Animals

A maximum of one Barn and one Coop may be built and filled with animals. A second Barn/Coop may be built for setting up processing equipment.

At least two of each type of available animal should be obtained.

Artisan and Other Processing

A maximum of 12 Beehives, 12 Kegs, 12 Preserves Jars, 12 Crab-Pots, 12 Lightning Rods and 12 Tappers(evenly split between tree types) may be built.

A maximum of 4 Seed Makers, 4 Cheese Presses, 4 Mayonnaise Machines, 4 Oil Makers, 4 Looms, 4 Furnaces, 4 Charcoal Kilns, 4 Recycling Machines, 4 Worm Bins and 4 Crystalariums may be built.

As wide a variety of Artisan Goods as possible should be produced. At least one of each crop grown in a season that can be, should be processed in a Keg and in a Jar, so long as this does not prevent sufficient seeds being produced for the next planting.

Fishing

You may only go fishing for one day a week, so long as all crops are watered/animals cared for. Emptying Crab Pots is not included in this and may be done daily.

Mining

You may enter the Mines for one day a week, so long as all crops are watered/animals cared for. You may make multiple trips on that day if desired.

Once unlocked, the Skull Caverns may be visited once a week, so long as all crops are watered/animals cared for. This is seperate from the Mines so both may be visited in a week.

Foraging

You may go foraging for plants one day a week, so long as all crops are watered/animals cared for.

You may go lumberjacking outside of your farm one day a week, so long as all crops are watered/animals cared for.

You may harvest Hardwood from the Secret Woods on any day you go Foraging/Lumberjacking.

Up to 24 Seasonal seeds can and should be planted at a time once available, when sufficient time remains in a season for them to grow.

Social

You may visit and gift Villagers as often or little as you wish, but should always at a minimum give a gift on their birthday.

All festivals should be attended.

Jobs through the mail or job board may be freely completed, as long as they comply with the other restrictions.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 22, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »

That seems like more of a ... hardcore sustainable challenge. I can understand logging, I suppose - giving the trees 'time' to grow - but the animals don't really seem terribly sensible? It's not like you're going to be able to support a ton once you've used up the room for your required crops as it is ... Nor will you have time to properly take care of them, necessarily. There's a lot of running back and forth processing and planting seeds, and that's just from my Y2 'start' of the experiment with four seed makers.

I think that you may want to raise it to 3-5 of a single seed type (still one time only), mostly because of the plants that take an extremely long time to grow. You won't have a proper seed stock - if you only buy cauliflower once, for example, you may in fact end up with just one cauliflower seed, which doesn't seem sensible. Most farmers growing their own stock do at least start with a small supply of seed, not just one plant.

But why restrict the mines, for example? That's just adding rules for the sake of it, it would seem. Fishing rules are also a bit arbitrary; why fish only once a week, but you can crab pot every day? If the theme is 'trying not to take too much,' like the trees, then shouldn't you only crab pot once a week? Alternatively, do both but only twice a week, max.

I also think you should be required to attempt to talk to everyone at least twice a week to keep their friendships rising.  :P You're not a good local farmer if you don't know everybody! Who's gonna want your produce if you're just a weird hermit?

Final serious note, what about mixed seeds? Should those only be planted after you've planted your maximum, since there's no way of knowing what you're going to plant? Do those count against or should they be their own 'mixed seed' group - aka, you can only plant up to 24 mixed seeds after your standard planting, only on the first of the month, etc.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1016 on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:20 pm »

I'm not sure about the "one day a week" limits. If you fish one day, mine one day, lumberjack one day... What do you do with the rest of your time? And I'd say if the theme is sustainability, mining is tricky. In reality, minerals are very limited - but they don't replenish themselves, so limiting how often you go wouldn't change how much there is to take. In the game, minerals are unlimited, so it doesn't make a difference.

There should be at least one thing you can do as much as you want, if for no other reason than to fill the time. With this ruleset I think it would take many years to make even the barest progress. At least the first time you buy seeds, you should be able to buy a full stock of them.

EDIT: By the way, how do you get a brown chicken? All mine are white. I've bought two and hatched three, all white. Can a white chicken egg hatch into a brown chicken, or do I have to keep buying and hoping I get sold a brown one?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:53:55 pm by Sappho »

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 22, 2016, 01:22:27 pm »

Some good points from both of you, I'll look back at it later tonight.

EDIT: By the way, how do you get a brown chicken? All mine are white. I've bought two and hatched three, all white. Can a white chicken egg hatch into a brown chicken, or do I have to keep buying and hoping I get sold a brown one?

Yep, only brown eggs will hatch into brown chickens. You need to either get lucky with the caravan offering a brown egg or keep buying and selling chickens until you get a brown one.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 22, 2016, 01:44:07 pm »

Buy chicken, and get random brown or white.  sell unwanted chicken if you are only aiming to get a set of each color. 

The limit on 24 farm plots for each seed/plant type becomes trivial with iridium hoe and iridium watering can and iridium sprinkler--end game tools. 
Until iridium sprinkler, quality sprinkler (mid-game) can do the job for 8 crops, so that 3 quality to 1 iridium upgrade. 

Limiting Mining will slow down the progress to obtain more efficient tools.

Foraging provides a boost to free seeds = free money to get better tools sooner.

Limited trees are ok, because limiting the kegs already prevents the min-maxing obtained from the fruits to wine. 
The ratio of fruits (trees) to keg are:
1 tree = 84 fruit = 5 kegs to process in a year
2 trees = 168 fruit = 9 kegs to process in a year (exactly)
12 kegs means a max of around 200 wine per year only, so roughly 50 wines per season, or 12 wines per week. 

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1019 on: March 22, 2016, 02:03:51 pm »

Seems like the whole "challenge" is just... "make everything take longer." It doesn't actually make it harder, just slower. There doesn't seem to be any room for strategy or anything like that. I mean, I like doing it where you only use the seed maker, because it makes it more fun. It feels like I'm running around doing actual farming. But I've already put 48 hours into the game (which on my schedule is basically every second I'm not working or engaged with other responsibilities since the game came out) and I'm only in my second summer and just starting to upgrade my barn and coop. I don't have any irridium tools yet and only two gold ones. I don't need the game to take any longer than it already does. So... I'll be sitting this one out.

I do think it could be fun to start with a seed maker and only use mixed seeds you get from cutting down weeds, never buy seeds from the shop. That would be an actual challenge... If only I had the time to enjoy it. But I figure by the time I reach all my current goals, I'll probably be burnt out on this game for a good long time anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 91