Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 91

Author Topic: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC  (Read 441108 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stardew Valley - Harvest Moon type game for PC
« Reply #1020 on: March 22, 2016, 02:07:31 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:56:17 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 22, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »

Honestly, the whole fun for me was as I stated before - doing everything as I wanted, but with the only buy seeds once rule. I think restarting I am gonna start from mixed seed only - it seems fun! And kind of a pain getting the seeds you want. I was just offering opinions on the rules as stated, but I think that rigid of a ruleset honestly just drags things out a lot.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 22, 2016, 03:44:51 pm »

The game is fairly balanced in the beginning, where the struggle is ok, and the gains to overcome those seems more rewarding. 

Then I find an easier combo to make almost passive-gold and my focus isn't in farming anymore, but more of mining to get ores.

Then after a few upgrades, an almost daily grind to get hardwood, and eventually upgrading some buildings and finishing the greenhouse. 

After the greenhouse, it seems natural to maximize the high profit plants by planting them in the greenhouse. 

So at a certain point, money is no longer an object once the setup to do minimal work to gain most gold is done. 

What's left is mining, combat, fishing, and social heart gifts, and maybe all the achievements.

They can all be done casually without getting burned out.

I actually make the fortunes dictate when I do mining: when it's extra luck or great fortune.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #1023 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:49 pm »

Seems like the whole "challenge" is just... "make everything take longer." It doesn't actually make it harder, just slower. There doesn't seem to be any room for strategy or anything like that. I mean, I like doing it where you only use the seed maker, because it makes it more fun. It feels like I'm running around doing actual farming. But I've already put 48 hours into the game (which on my schedule is basically every second I'm not working or engaged with other responsibilities since the game came out) and I'm only in my second summer and just starting to upgrade my barn and coop. I don't have any irridium tools yet and only two gold ones. I don't need the game to take any longer than it already does. So... I'll be sitting this one out.

I do think it could be fun to start with a seed maker and only use mixed seeds you get from cutting down weeds, never buy seeds from the shop. That would be an actual challenge... If only I had the time to enjoy it. But I figure by the time I reach all my current goals, I'll probably be burnt out on this game for a good long time anyway.

I second your thoughts, that challenge seems solely for the purpose of making it take longer and be more boring.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 22, 2016, 07:55:28 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:52:21 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 22, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 22, 2016, 08:28:22 pm »

Never heard that phrase before. The scene really threw me too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 22, 2016, 08:47:38 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:52:08 pm by Vector »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:07 am »

I always have fun doing that, but for entirely different reasons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:24 am »

I thought I was the only one doing that. I've handed out bouquets to 4 people so far. I just want to see everyone's scenes!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 23, 2016, 09:40:17 am »

So, uh, aerobics class

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 23, 2016, 11:40:04 am »

So, uh, aerobics class

Yeah, I got that scene and all I could think was "But ... half of them..."

Then I just smiled and nodded.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 23, 2016, 12:00:05 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:51:21 pm by Vector »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 23, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »

Was trying a bit of the Stardew Valley Sustainable Farm challenge on Twitch with other Bay12 folks, if anyone wanted to see a LP. Just set it up and starting now!

Link: https://www.twitch.tv/solifuge/

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 23, 2016, 08:35:28 pm »

I wish this game had standing orders where you'd enter into a contract to supply nearby towns with certain goods within a certain timeline, quicker you do it the more money you get.  Or, have it so the price of goods spike and drop randomly based on demand due to events like festivals, droughts, etc.  For this to work they'd probably have to add in spoilage/refrigeration and lower the current sell prices of all goods.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 91