Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Human Castle (just a bunch of questions)  (Read 5407 times)

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Human Castle (just a bunch of questions)
« on: August 31, 2012, 05:43:33 pm »

So... here's the deal, i have been playing DF for a few months and now i'm making my first attemps at modding, so far i modded humans as a playable race and i would like to make it available for the comunity to use, these are totally unmodified hummies, nothing changed at all but the things that had to be changed so they are playable and i'm sure at least a couple of players out there would like the adition of playing as another race in the vanilla game, almost everything works perfectly including the creation of properly sized items, the name of all the professions and a bunch of minor details, now obviously i'm not here writing this because i think i'm so cool the people should know about it (even if that's true), the point is that i need some help with some nasty bugs i've found and i'm sure you guys could solve this easily because sincerely i'm pretty damn bad at this.

First an easy one, it seems like i can't create nestboxes, for now i added the reaction to the smelter but some help would still be apreciated to fix this properly, there's a chance that i just messed with the raws and fuckd it but anyways, the knowledge won't hurt.

Now the important ones, first is that no humies get moods, at the start when i began mooding them in they had moods like normal (i even had a baddas artifact candy/rocksalt greataxe to prove it) but now no one goes moody at all, i've been running two forts for 4 years and no moods so far, again this is possibly me screwing the raws but a fix and the knowledge that comes from fixing said problem would still be apreciated.

The other important one (and i'm pretty sure this one is not my direct fault) is that i don't get dwarven caravans! no merchants or diplomats, i get caravans from my human mountainhomes and from the dirty elves but not the dorf bros, i checked dwarves at embark and everything but they just ignore me.

Now the impossible one, i'm pretty sure this is hardcoded but there's any way to change the greeting message about striking the earth or at least what the liasons and merchants say about the "mountainhomes"? it is just a minor detail but one that would be really possitive if fixed accordingly.

And at last some questions regarding overall modding for a newbie like me;

1.How do you add new weapons/items to the game? it is nessesary to create a new custom workshop for it?

2.If i add, lets say, "tridents" to a custom workshop for the dwarves, these items will start to appear around the world? will dwarven bandits/guards carry them around in adventure mode? will shopkeepers sell them? the simple question is will they be exclusive to me?

3.How do i set a cap for a certain races at certain skills? for example if i wanted my humies to be bad at minning but good at carpentry.

By the way i apologize for my english, writing such a large text is still hard for me.

4.How do i stop keas from stealing the shit out of my everything? (this one's a joke but i do hate them... seriously)
Urist McSpartacus: blood and vomit.
One day this is going to be a show, mark my words.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Human Castle (just a bunch of questions)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13:32 pm »

1) Add nestboxes to the human entity file.

This:
Code: [Select]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_NEST_BOX]
2) Make sure your humans have [TRANCES], it allows them to have moods.

3) Are you sure you can trade with dwarves on the embark screen? It's possible that some mountains blocked them off.
Oh, and it's possible that you have to add PROGGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE etc. to them.

4) You can change those messages by unpacking, editing and repacking the files in /data/announcement, there were a few threads about that, you will have to search for them.

=================================

Overall questions-answers:
1) You make weapons similar to the items in item_weapon.txt. Then you add them to entity definitions in entity_default.txt in the same way as other weapons are added to the civilizations you want to get them.
Custom workshops have nothing to do with new items/weapons.

2) No, if you add them to custom workshop, they won't appear. However if you add them to the list of possible weapons ([WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_TRIDENT] in the entity file for example), then they will appear all over the world in a new world.

3) You can set skill rates via the SKILL_RATE and SKILL_LEARN_RATE tokens, check it: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Creature_token.

4) Remove [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM].
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:28:44 pm »

Woah! Papamod himself answered my questions! thanks a lot friend, your knoledge is really apreciated, i'll be sure to mention you in the realease of this mini-mod.

Thanks again.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:30:55 pm »

Really?? TRANCES is caste level, right?  Only the warrior caste of my orcs have TRANCES, but other castes get moods too.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »

Really?? TRANCES is caste level, right?  Only the warrior caste of my orcs have TRANCES, but other castes get moods too.

It used to be like that written on the wiki, I totally remember it. It could be changed, but at the same time it could be some weird ass thing like "caste level token with a hidden effect on a creature". It won't hurt anyway, without this token fortress mode military is so much weaker (because 10-men or smaller squads are often outnumbered). Also it allows you to have epic heroes from time to time, I really like this token :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:13:29 pm »

It used to be like that written on the wiki, I totally remember it. It could be changed, but at the same time it could be some weird ass thing like "caste level token with a hidden effect on a creature". It won't hurt anyway, without this token fortress mode military is so much weaker (because 10-men or smaller squads are often outnumbered). Also it allows you to have epic heroes from time to time, I really like this token :).
IIRC with the .34 update (or possibly the later .31 updates) it was changed so that [TRANCES] only determines the ability to enter into martial trances, and no longer determined the ability of creatures to have strange moods.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »

Again thanks for the answers guys.

I don't want to make another thread for a single question so... why do my dwarves keep bashing eachother with the ranged weapons i added? i included guns to a set of raws for the sake of experimenting and they just keep using them as clubs! in the arena testings i gave a rifle and bullets to each subject but they just charge like idiots, any help?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »

The same reason they do with crossbows, presumably.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:33:29 pm »

Again thanks for the answers guys.

I don't want to make another thread for a single question so... why do my dwarves keep bashing eachother with the ranged weapons i added? i included guns to a set of raws for the sake of experimenting and they just keep using them as clubs! in the arena testings i gave a rifle and bullets to each subject but they just charge like idiots, any help?

They need ammo to fire them.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:50:02 pm »

...i gave a rifle and bullets to each subject...

So it's probably not lack of ammo.

Can we see the raws? Maybe the bullets aren't recognised as rifle ammo. If not, try putting crossbowdwarves with bolts in the same situation and see what happens.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 01:32:22 pm »

quiver?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »

Arenadwarves (and probably normal ones) do fine without quivers, they just hold the bolts in one hand.
Sig

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »

Sorry for the late answer guys and thanks for interest, i'll be posting the raws in a minute, adding melee weapons works like a charm but ranged are still a mistery, any chance there's a tag that labels a weapon as "fireable"?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:47:27 pm by Synner »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:57 pm »

[RANGED:BULLET]

There's your problem, you have it to link to the ammo, but there is no skill connection

[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]

use this, now it will work because it can use a skill check.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 07:36:27 am »

[RANGED:BULLET]

There's your problem, you have it to link to the ammo, but there is no skill connection

[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]

use this, now it will work because it can use a skill check.

Ohh my... thank you so much! at least i knew i was going to feel stupid when someone fixed my problem but still.

BTW i now use that archery fix in all of my games, thanks for that as well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:46:05 am by Synner »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5