Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Human Castle (just a bunch of questions)  (Read 5413 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Human Castle (just a bunch of questions)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »

I would have thought you'd get an error from the game thinking BULLET was the skill...Meh, problem solved.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 12:10:40 am »

This may or may not be a dead deal here, but I can probably help you out considerably.

Rendering humans playable in a good way tends to be difficult as it stands. Unless you want them to just be big dwarves (living underground for safty/convienience reasons) there are a few things I'd recommend.

As someone mentioned, they're short a few tools. Minecarts spring to mind. Make sure they have everything they'll need for raising animals and such.

Humans should rely on wood, but at present it's an incredibly inefficent building material. I'd strongly advise including the sawmill workshop and reaction from the Corrosion mod/others (Unsure if it's a seperate mod, I just copied it from Corrosion.) It makes building with wood MUCH more efficent.

Glass and Coal: Unless you thought of this already, humans are unable to make coke or any kind of glass besides green glass. For the sake of fuel and just having the glass, since dwarves WILL NOT come to trade as you know, I'd advise giving them the required reactions. It makes the fuel issue far more bearable, since you can import coal on the cheap from home.

Obviously you must consider noble positions. Will you mix and match (Like say, the militia commander doubling as your expedition leader until you get to mayoral population levels or the manager also being the settlement's head merchant?) Just copy the dwarf ones? Whatcha gonna do? if nothing else for theme reasons I'd say at least make the Captain of the Guard the Townwatch Commander Instead, since unless you're going the dwarf way, it's probably a town not really a proper fortress or anything.

Humans can and will have moods. You WILL need to breach the caverns or mod in a race that can trade them silk. Like you already know dwarves will NEVER visit. I had to compensate for this by using goblins instead, though I included Corai's modbolds to pick up the slack for an invader. (I'm basically building a great big mess of a mod based around the concept of repelling a modbold invasion.)

As far as renaming nobles for theme's sake, I also have these for you. A bit of a mouthful for some but meh.

Militia Commander - Colonel
Broker - Settlement Merchant
Manager - Foreman
Bookkeeper - Scribe
Sheriff - Marshal/unchanged (Depends on which one I'm using; I have two copies with one almost entirely basic the other with some special weapons and armor)
Captain of the Guard - Townwatch Commander
Aristocracy - Unchanged

You've probably also noticed humans have a far easier time starting out because unlike dwarves, they can purchase alot of provisions for half the cost dwarves can (Bloated tubers for 2 compared a plump helmet's 4, and several drinks for just 1 point.) However, they can't make steel or adamantine wafers, though i advise giving them the required reaction in case you stumble upon it while cavern exploring, just so you can make use of it as humans. I figure since they can make magma forges and such, they should at least have a rough idea of adamantine working.

I probably already mentioned this about the dwarves but the only way around this it seems to to have a race that will trade you those goods in thier place or make a seperate goblin entity to trade with you in winter. Trust me, goblins can be a life saver when moods strike that demand silk but you don't want to breach the caverns yet/ at all.

Sorry if I revided a near dead topic or whatever, I just play as humans ALOT on DF with a combination of very light mods to them (reactions and the sawmill, and weapons) and I wanted to contribute, since my best stories are from playing as humans in DF.

I probably also repeated myself in places and may be projecting so my apologies.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 12:16:02 am »

I probably already mentioned this about the dwarves but the only way around this it seems to to have a race that will trade you those goods in thier place or make a seperate goblin entity to trade with you in winter.

Hmm, Why don't the Dwarves come trade?  Have you given them progress triggers?

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:3]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:3]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:3]

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 12:19:14 am »

Why didn't I think of that.... Although I'm positive they come with those already...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

Not sure I have a clean vanilla entity_default on here anywhere to check, but I really thought Dwarven entity doesn't have them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 12:40:32 am »

It didn't. I've placed them in and now testing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 01:43:33 am »

Lower triggers to 1 make them come earlier.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:41 am »

I copied them over from the elves because I assumed the higher numbers made them come later. Fell asleep while my game was running so I have yet to see if it worked.

EDIT: It took. Twas indeed the progress triggers.

Synner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2012, 01:23:00 pm »

Thanks you so much Splint! good to know i'm not the only one trying to play humans out there and this thread was indeed dying but you gave it a good ammount of life with that post.

I'm kind of late but the advice by smakemupagus works like a charm, i tested it myself and now i have caravans from the dorf guys coming every year.

I forgot to add minecarts (mostly because i never use them) so thanks for that, any other item that might be missing? reaction wise i added all of the reactions and jobs the dorfs had but the hummies lacked.

I kept most of the noble positions with the same names but yor changes are welcome and i'll edit them in ASAP, what do you think about general instead of colonel? i can't stop thinking about fried chikken with that name and i like Captain of the Guard, most of us will build castles and fortresses so towns are not so popular among players.
Urist McSpartacus: blood and vomit.
One day this is going to be a show, mark my words.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 01:34:04 pm »

A simple stockcade goes a long way. I just changed it because Fortress Guards are more of a dwarven thing (Dwarf Fortress after all) And they can have a high end noble position of General if you copy it over from the dwarves. I went with Colonel because they're the highest ranking officers that usually take to the field themselves in most armies, and militia commander just sounds too fancy for some reason. Likewise, militia captain seemed to fancy and I changed thier position name to Sergeant. Did that for the dwarves too.

As far as I know they have access to almost everything, but I'd advise checking to make sure they have

Hives + jugs: just to be sure, in case you want to do beekeeping for shits and giggles.
Nestboxes: Obvious reasons.
Wheelbarrows: They seem to have these by default, but it's always good to check.
Minecarts: This is more if you want it to look like a regular mine. They seem to be able to build rollers so it may be worth it.

Don't forget some of thier harder hitting weapons are multigrasp even for them, so shield will cause them to suffer a hit penalty with the following:

Halberds - Really good mix and uses Axe skill. Shields with these are a deficeit because of the hit penalty.
2 Handed swords - No shield for the soldier to make max use of agility with the thing.
Pike - Same as above, though not quite as bad since it's a pure stabby thing.

Factors to consider: All my observations tend to show humans to be more aggressive and more suicidal in training and combat. Never had dwarves drown themselves to kill a pond grabber, humans on the other hand... Anyway, they also can and sometimes will defy burial if they don't also get a headstone. Typically they'll accoust family. Not sure if that was a fluke or if that's some wierd bug with humans that makes sense (we don't like having unmarked graves in sedintary societies afterall, unless we're cremated and scattered.)

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

While we are at answering questions i want to ask is there a way to change make a poison to change tissue type to the creature it is attacking?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »

I doubt it but that's also not really relating to rendering humans fully playable.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 02:27:56 pm »

Gaybrowner, ask over in the modding questions forum. This is mainly for human playability.

Also, in terms of human playability, what kind of humans do you want to play? I have some ideas with concubines and slaves (both are different in execution and result) that you might find interesting. Maybe not, though, seeing as pretty much every major modder out there is liable to have done it.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »

I don't see a problem with slaves since I've seen them in human towns in adventure mode.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 02:35:43 pm »

Yaay. Perhaps a 'conversion centre' or a 'slave market' workshop could be created that converts any invaders into human slave castes with the typical 'boiling rock syndrome' transformation? Could probably work, although I'd refer to Regen and/or Masterwork raws for the exact specifics. They have the kind of conversions and more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5