Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461626 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1815 on: December 28, 2014, 10:30:37 am »

This is BS!

I keep smashing austria's papacy chance down into the teens while mine is hitting almost 30%, yet they have won it 4 times in a row now!
Terrible luck.

When I played portugal, I had a 0% chance and still got a guy in. Somehow.

Make that 5 times.... Isn't this statistically insane? an average of 15% 5 times in a row?

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: December 28, 2014, 10:40:23 am »

Well that's at least a 0.0000% chance if not for the events being independent of each other.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 28, 2014, 10:47:47 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if AI got some hidden bonuses for that.

paradox loves their ai and hidden bonuses so much they made it a mandatory enforced option in EUIV ironman
._.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: December 28, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

Here's a bit of a tease at my latest Ironman game. Got pretty lucky with Aragon declaring independence from a crippled Castile whie being allied with only Naples! Also yes, Algiers is my vassal and we're gonna feed to we unite Islam.

Trying to decide if i want to go colonial or not. It seems stupid not to while in the overpowered Sevilla node but the colonial game is just so boring. I might just own the Caribbean and make some token efforts in Africa before consolidating the whole mediterranean.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: December 28, 2014, 12:52:51 pm »

Brabant and Denmark seem to be doing pretty well in your game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 28, 2014, 03:15:23 pm »

Nuu! The Crescent Horde is taking over Iberia! How dare they!?

Although I have wanted to try a Granada game. I just know that I'd lose, much like I have with Byzantium.

EDIT: Speaking of Byzantium, any advice? I tried the whole 'isolate the Greek area', but it failed miserably when they sent a large navy in to crush the one I was using to hold their soldiers back.

Yeah I've found galley spam to work, but the point isn't to isolate an area, it's to kill all of their galleys and then isolate their army. I've won a war with them isolated on my capital because I had island provinces and could keep those safe while sieging everything they have. The important part is killing their navy. You can go WAY over your force limit with your money, and you don't need to match their navy. Pick off what you can when you can. If possible, start a war while they are at war with another navy heavy country and when your stack of galleys are on a large (but smaller than yours) stack of their galleys.

I also don't like the idea of playing as Granada. You basically have to abandon your starting provinces. At that point, why not just play as another country?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 28, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »

I also don't like the idea of playing as Granada. You basically have to abandon your starting provinces. At that point, why not just play as another country?

I didn't have to.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 28, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

Is there any way other than conquering and converting centers of Reformation to stop them from converting my provinces? I'm the Papal State so I can't convert, but they're destabilizing the north of my country and they're all sitting in the HRE where Austria will protect them. I've just been converting back and forth and back and forth, but the number of provinces with so many religious zeal modifiers that I can't convert them back at all is slowly rising, and so is unrest. It's looking more and more like I'll be seeing the Calvinist north vs the Catholic south, which would be... less than optimal.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:07:15 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 28, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »

Yes Baffler, you can use the force religion war demand on the center's host country to forcefully convert (and thus remove) the centers of reformation.  This will of course only work if the country is relatively small.  Otherwise the reformation centers will stop spamming their religion at about 1650.  If a large country has a center you may be able to force them to release the province into a small country, which you can later war in order to force religion.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 29, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »

Wow this game's AI decision making is weird. France loves me and is allied to me (and is the only thing standing between me and a coalition of what seems to be every country bordering the Italian region plus austria). Suddenly, after I begin vassalizing Genoa, they break their alliance and I have a "-100 too many great powers" modifier, even though I am only allied to Castile. Then the moment I finish fabricating my claim on Sardinia, the modifier disappears and I re-ally France.

How am I suppose to take this other than paradox hiding their "-100 you are doing too good so die now" modifiers as other things?

Scratch that, France just claimed my throne. FML..... Any tips on fighting all of Europe?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 05:03:03 pm by Micro102 »

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 29, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »

If you're the emperor, you can revoke a reform for 100 warscore. It's a joker card when you're in war against France, Spain, Britain, the Ottomans, Denmark...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: December 29, 2014, 07:11:05 pm »

If you have espionage ideas, see if you can push some of your foes far enough over the edge that their neighbors won't give them military access and they can't reach you. Other than that, it's just a matter of taking out all the loans and hiring all the mercenaries, so that they only destroy most of you instead of all of you. It helps to send a small army (3-4 regiments) to their territory. They'll probably have giant doomstacks after you so you wouldn't really miss them anyway, but just having provinces under siege makes them more reluctant to continue fighting.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 30, 2014, 10:53:11 am »

So I finally got the Norwegian Wood achievement.  I ended up starting a new game after the hotfixes for the recent patch came out.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here are a couple images of the map for anyone else who likes to look at maps from other people's games:

and the world map:

The game ended with a final showdown between me and my stalwart ally France.  While I had numerical superiority, the French army had 12% more discipline than me and 2 extra morale.  I was also running dangerously low on manpower when I declared war.  Luckily I had been able to steal the throne of a strong Milan in a succession war in the mid 1700's when Poland stood to inherit it.  While France exhausted their manpower against Milanese and Hungarian troops in the alps, I was able to siege out several provinces, and with the arrival of my pacific fleet and their additional 50k troops, I was able to march on paris, assaulting fortresses as I went.  France's army of 50k that had been dispactched north from the alps fled before my beleagured, but freshly reinforced army of about 150k

A couple interesting things with this map, The Ottomans had never lost a war, and held a vast empire that stretched from northern Ethiopia to southern Siberia, from Baluchistan to the eastern parts of Austria. In the 1790's I led my allies and vassals into war with them, including France, Netherlands, Milan, Hungary, and Lithuania.  They had an army of over 300k with over 500k manpower, and a strong ally Crimea who added about 80k of their own troops.  It was probably the most difficult war, and we only really seiged half of their territory, but after the peace deal their empire was struck by the revolution disaster, and they crumbled like a house of cards.  You can see in the maps a bit of the extent of their territory, at one point everything south of me between Europe and India was all Ottoman and Crimean.

There was also a very successful AI Oriat Horde, which vassalised most of north Asia, and took over most of Timurids and took a good portion of northern India.  Their expansion was only stopped when they ran into the Ottomans, and when I needed to take some of their naval supplies.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:55:41 am by Vactor »
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 02, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »

How do you avoid aggressive expansion as Naples? I've control of 60-70% of the Italy region and everyone around me has hundreds of aggressive expansion. Even Austria. Muscovy, Denmark, and England are all in a coalition against me. And this is after taking roughly half of the Italian region. Why doesn't France, who has taken about twice that much from Europe have this problem?

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 02, 2015, 06:14:14 pm »

How do you avoid aggressive expansion as Naples? I've control of 60-70% of the Italy region and everyone around me has hundreds of aggressive expansion. Even Austria. Muscovy, Denmark, and England are all in a coalition against me. And this is after taking roughly half of the Italian region. Why doesn't France, who has taken about twice that much from Europe have this problem?
Lucky nations.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 216