Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 216

Author Topic: Europa Universalis IV  (Read 461534 times)

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis IV
« Reply #1800 on: December 25, 2014, 07:54:11 am »

So, I had Barrois in my pocket for a while and can annex them now. The thing I didn't know is that annexing a HRE member carries a -25 relations hit with the whole HRE. Is that generally troublesome? Does it fade away with time? 25 seems like quite a bit and Austria hates my guts. There is also the hit on diplomatic reputation, I'm not even sure what it does, but apparently savoyard traditions give me some of that.

The best advice I can give with this game is to simply never play in/near the HRE. It's a complete broken mess and not anything but tedious.
I can see where you're coming from, but that more or less excludes a big, interesting bunch of Europe from the table, and all the cool centers of the reformation  :-\

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: December 25, 2014, 08:53:41 am »

So, I had Barrois in my pocket for a while and can annex them now. The thing I didn't know is that annexing a HRE member carries a -25 relations hit with the whole HRE. Is that generally troublesome? Does it fade away with time? 25 seems like quite a bit and Austria hates my guts. There is also the hit on diplomatic reputation, I'm not even sure what it does, but apparently savoyard traditions give me some of that.

It's generally not too big of a deal. It typically won't be enough to affect your relationship with your allies, and people who hate you will just continue hating you. It's only really a problem when your trying some difficult diplomatic action, like allying with someone much more powerful than yourself or diplovassalizing somebody. Or if you do it a bunch so the -25 stacks up. Like most relation affects it does degrade and eventually go away with time.

Dip rep affects your success chance with most diplomatic actions and how fast you can annex vassals.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: December 25, 2014, 10:13:08 am »

It's mostly an issue if you want to get voted emperor, I find.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: December 26, 2014, 06:01:16 pm »

Okay, more noob questions. Is one-regiment-per-ship transports the only way to move armies around in water? If so, is there a way to automate it somewhat? Can I get vassal/PU troops in them too?
Long story short I was dumb enough to fall in an alliance with Aragon. They got all cocky and threw themselves in a war against Castille. I want to honour the alliance but France hates my guts and I only have one transport to move troops around.
tbh I was thinking in bailing out of the war and letting Aragon get pwned. This way I can throw a claim on Sardinia and get it easily for myself. Problem being I really wanted Aragon around to make France fight on two fronts in their inevitable war with me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:05:23 pm by Uristides »

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: December 26, 2014, 06:10:36 pm »

Okay, more noob questions. Is one-regiment-per-ship transports the only way to move armies around in water? If so, is there a way to automate it somewhat? Can I get vassal/PU troops in them too?
Long story short I was dumb enough to fall in an alliance with Aragon. They got all cocky and threw themselves in a war against Castille. I want to honour the alliance but France hates my guts and I only have one transport to move troops around.
tbh I was thinking in bailing out of the war and letting Aragon get pwned. This way I can throw a claim on Sardinia and get it easily for myself. Problem being I really wanted Aragon around to make France fight on two fronts in their inevitable war with me.

If you haven't noticed, you can order your armies to simply "walk" over the water and your nearest transport ships will automatically do it. It can still only be done one at a time with this method, but at least you don't have to do it manually.

Other than that, no.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: December 26, 2014, 06:19:22 pm »

If you haven't noticed, you can order your armies to simply "walk" over the water and your nearest transport ships will automatically do it. It can still only be done one at a time with this method, but at least you don't have to do it manually.

Other than that, no.

That is a horrible method. First off you cannot due multiple units as a time. Trying to make land units move onto a ship before the first units get off it just messes things up, and if you can ferry them across one sea tile than it's usually faster to manually dock at one port and then another. And by faster I mean days compared to weeks. Ferrying is only preferable in a few choice situations.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: December 27, 2014, 10:05:43 am »

Yeah, I usually build all my armies to the same size, then build transport fleets of that size too. Or have one/two armies of "Marines", dedicated to landing.

But then, that's just my OCD.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: December 27, 2014, 10:52:33 am »

Thanks for the tips. Knowing I can just order my armies to move across the water and sit and watch has blown my mind away.
I just hate naval gameplay so I'll build a couple of cogs and let them do the hard work for me.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: December 27, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »

So I'm running an Ironman game with France in order to get the get all cores of France achievement, and at one point I clicked on the 1789 start to check out the late game starts and see the countries and stuff, before switching over to the saved games and clicking my Ironman game. This happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also got an event saying I had discovered Japan. Do you happen to know what happened, and if I continue to play this save, will I get the Steam achievement?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: December 27, 2014, 04:37:00 pm »

So I'm running an Ironman game with France in order to get the get all cores of France achievement, and at one point I clicked on the 1789 start to check out the late game starts and see the countries and stuff, before switching over to the saved games and clicking my Ironman game. This happened:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also got an event saying I had discovered Japan. Do you happen to know what happened, and if I continue to play this save, will I get the Steam achievement?
Thats a common exploit, don't worry you're fine in terms of achievements.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: December 27, 2014, 06:58:42 pm »

Will I be fine in terms of other stuff?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: December 27, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »

Dang, so much stuff happened today. I had to savescumm so much and yet ended with a pretty bad bargain:
- Stupid burgundians thought rebelling would be fun. The ensuing war took intervention from France, Austria and half the HRE plus tons of loans from me.
- Ruler decided to die and his lil boy is just a bit softbrained(2/3/0 IIRC). That coupled with the legitimacy drop put me on the path to civil war and all I could do was sit there and watch the timer tick.
- Civil war ticked just a bit after a peasant's war broke out in Burgundy. Meaning my military workhorse was too busy to help me. At some point I was running through one loan per month to keep my mercenary army up.
- Protestantism got kickstarted and I already have one province converted. I'm really feeling like giving the pope the finger for this campaign.
- Aragon got cocky with Castille again. The war has helped me regain some prestige(the civil war pushed me from 70ish to -18), but Portugal pulled out and I'm not sure I want to stay there either. And oh the joys of looting, why did it take me so long to find out.

Now if I may pester you with questions again:
- What's the deal with succession? My heir's claim was strong and yet boom, legitimacy went from ~90 to ~25 on sucession.
- Is there no way to raise a ruler's attributes? Having mil < 1 was the only thing increasing the civil war timer and yet all I could do was sit and watch it tick.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: December 27, 2014, 10:54:06 pm »

No way to boost ruler skills. Heir skill can be boosted via a rare event that lets you choose their education. If it's bothering you that much, you can enter the console and type in... 'kill', I think it is, and they suddenly keel over dead.
Oh well, sucks for me then, now I feel why some people want an abdication mechanic. But nah, gonna just deal with it, at least for as long as I can. Or maybe I'll make a general out of him and see if he perhaps learns something from working in the field  ;D
Thanks for the answer.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: December 27, 2014, 11:41:03 pm »

Will I be fine in terms of other stuff?
Yep.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: December 28, 2014, 09:15:16 am »

This is BS!

I keep smashing austria's papacy chance down into the teens while mine is hitting almost 30%, yet they have won it 4 times in a row now!
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 216