Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Helvus: Sorta a sequel but not quite.  (Read 18461 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Helvus: Sorta a sequel but not quite.
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2012, 03:06:17 am »

Are people even interested in this? Usually there is more then one reply and I get suggestions on what to do. Even if that is just "Keep doing what you were already doing".

Keep doing what you were already doing

I've always been interested in this, but I can't really think of anything to suggest most of the time.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »

well, I know why *I* am not making long sugestions, this in missing the deign element the previus one had with the clones.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »

Are people even interested in this? Usually there is more then one reply and I get suggestions on what to do. Even if that is just "Keep doing what you were already doing".

Oh I'm definitively interested in this.
Just happened to stumble upon it.

> try to research the Concretion Mech compacting dirt in to Compacted Dirt floors and structures.

As I am out of ideas at the moment, I suggest this as well.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

> try to research the Concretion Mech compacting dirt in to Compacted Dirt floors and structures.

And crank up some Bhangra while you do it.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:52 am »

Alright looks like everyone has just been lurking around. It's good to know that people just aren't interested at all. I'll do an update if...

And crank up some Bhangra while you do it.
You tell me how many scientists you want to assign to this (and what you want to take those scientists away from researching). That will take 4 man-turns to research (it will take 1 clone 4 turns, 2 clones 2 turns, 4 clones 1 turn). I'll do my best to give an estimate on how many man-turns it will take whenever someone's idea gets support.

You also have 30 units of concrete to use right now. Let's say that is about 30m^3 of concrete so each unit of concrete is equal to one cubic meter. That's just a rough amount though since I'm not really going to be tracking scale. So if anyone wants to do something with that suggest away.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2012, 03:41:29 am »

I suppose we should move the two scientists on food research to that topic then.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:07 am »

Turn 4:

Site:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The silicon refinery is now deployed. Now your construction infrastructure is fully operational.

The miners have found a silicon deposit below the surface just to the west of the teleporter station and some more traces of metallic ores to the southeast.

It also occurs to you that if you could use dirt to construct some buildings using the concretion mech. If the proper modifications were made then the dirt may not even have to be processed. The dirt constructions wouldn't be as strong as concrete due to their inconsistent make-up but the abundance of dirt more then makes up for that. You move the two science clones that are researching "food" and get them to develop the modifications to the mech that will be required. At the current rate it will take two turns.

You crank up one of your ancient mp3s while you patrol around the landing zone.

You get a message from the Alien Examination team. They say that they have so far concluded that the animals are inedible, if they are animals, they share many characteristics with plants as well. They will continue with their examination.

Power: 5(max) (+5/-4)
Research Projects:

Population (includes robotic workers):

Cargo Hold:

Blueprints:

Spoiler: Author Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:04:21 am by Evil Lincoln »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

Hmm. I suppose we should continue searching for resources underground, but have some workers harvest the silicon we found. We should also be prepared for the arrival of the vehicles from the north. On that note we should consider ways of improving our detection capabilities (since our ship's sensors are not very powerful).

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »

Is also a lurker

For "food", let's research a hydroponics farm that can be constructed on the ground from available materials.

A concrete wall along the north for emergency defense would be nice. About as tall as a robot with slits inside for shooting out of. 1 Yard thick.

In the mean time, examine the northern flora.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2012, 12:40:53 am »

Can we "unsuspend" the suspended science clones? If so, unsuspend 3 or so and assign them to research a blueprint for a Robot Creation thingy.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Grunden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2012, 11:39:14 am »

Let's get some civilization going here:

Assign 4 workers to feeding the gravel smasher for concrete production.

Have The mech start paving the ground teleporter/machines. The goal being to pave an area for future buildings and not grub around in the dirt.

We also need to think about long term food production; at the very least organics to feed our clones.

Take two combot bots and explore the small patch of vegetation to the NW of the teleporter. Specifically looking for samples of the grass analogue and the tree/mushroom looking thing. Consider thawing a couple of more scientists to analyze them, or queue the ones examining the creature.

Evil Lincoln

• Bay Watcher
  • Is non-inflammable
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2012, 08:32:25 am »

Turn 5:

Site:

You rummage around in the grass with two combat drones. You obtain a sample of both the grassy stuff and the thing that looks like a cabbage and a mushroom had a baby. Somehow.

The grass feels strange underfoot. It feels a bit like plastic and is a bit slippery. The mushroomthing feels slippery like the grass but it's a lot more solid. You'd be able to tell more by looking at it if you were a botanist, but you'll just have to make do with being an architect/surveyor/holy warrior from beyond the stars.

You have two of the miners start digging up the silicates they found. You'll be able to refine them into silicon at the refiner. You also get four of the idle workers to gather some of the gravel and small rocks on the ground and put them into the gravel smasher to make concrete.

You also have the concretion mech start making a wall with slits in it to fire through.

The clones message you to say that they have more news on the animal. It has a plant-like larval stage where it develops inside an egg-structure which seeps nutrients from the ground in order to develop the fetus. The fully developed animals have numerous sacks within them which contain seeds for the plant-larval stage. The developed animal may release these seeds at will but will also release them when killed. The animal also contains many oils. Further analysis is needed to determine whether these oils can be processed into plastics.

The vehicles in the north are about 300kms away and should arrive in about 2 turns.

You ask the clones what they were researching before when you just told them to research food and they inform you that they were working on hydroponics equipment.

Power: 5(max) (+5/-4)
Research Projects:

Population (includes robotic workers):

Cargo Hold:

Blueprints:

Spoiler: Author Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:38:04 am by Evil Lincoln »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2012, 10:09:32 pm »

Send two combat robots exploring a bit westwards.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:39 am »

Order 2 worker bots to start digging a ditch around the camp. Every other worker back to what they were doing.

Not dead, I hope.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:48:13 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 04:17:58 pm »

awesome to see a new colony effort! keep at it and I'll keep reading.

I think we should strive to get as much as we can planetside. up there in the ship it might be vulnerable if imperials manage to find us. Maybe we should also think about some camo for our compound. maybe some netting? something to mask our heat and signals?

for the time being the egglike growths in the eastern grass field have me a little worried, we should collect some samples for the science clones to have a look at after they're done with the current projects, If the egglike growths pose a threat, We should strive to remove them before nightfall or before they would mature.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6