Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91254 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:40 am »

Well I got my physical copy in the mail yesterday :D  The packaging for it was the coolest box I have ever seen!
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Arnarinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »

I jsut had the glitch with the traders on my map, stuck... Got my markdwarves to try to kill them...

It was a 270 dwarf fort... Oh god all the blood. It was like a horror movie, or WW2.
They even killed the children!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2012, 03:57:14 pm »

I jsut had the glitch with the traders on my map, stuck... Got my markdwarves to try to kill them...

It was a 270 dwarf fort... Oh god all the blood. It was like a horror movie, or WW2.
They even killed the children!
Killing traders would be a bad idea...Loyalty cascades...
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

ccoolleeiiss

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome, goblins, to the seige kill...waiting room
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:29 pm »

Well I got my physical copy in the mail yesterday :D  The packaging for it was the coolest box I have ever seen!

what was it?
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2012, 04:37:18 pm »

what was it?
I don't even have words for it.  I will have to take a picture of it. 

EDIT:  or you could buy it ;D
[DWARFINEERING]

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »

Having never previously been able to get into Dwarf Fortress, I ordered the physical book (because I like physical books) which I just got today. And I'm not even to the point of embarking and I'm already "stuck".

I generated a world according to the book's suggestions (savagery very low, minerals everywhere, medium everything else) and then, following the book's instructions, I tried using the site finder to find an area with low savagery, medium temperature, flux stone, no aquifer, multiple shallow & deep metals and >=some soil. No results. I generated another world and tried the same search. No results. I generated another. No results. I generated a fourth world using the largest world size. No results. On this same world, I tried tweaking the site finder settings to be less picky. No results. On all of these searches, the only item in the list of site finder settings left in red was "Flux Stone". Am I doing something wrong or is it just really hard to find flux stone? I'm getting tired of waiting for worlds to generate and searches to finish. If I am to use more lenient settings with the site finder, what settings are OK to change to find a good starting location?

Of course, I don't know if having a flux stone or not is a big deal, but until I know what I'm doing, I want to follow the book's instructions.

Same thing is happening to me.  I'm on my fifth world without a valid site, with flux being the missing ingredient.  Given that world gen takes a fair amount of time, this has been excruciating.

I'm sure I could always trade for it, but there's no guarantee it would come with the initial caravan.

[edit] I should pay more attention - apparently all you need to do is set the minerals to spawn with slightly less frequency and you're golden.[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:18:11 pm by KrunkSplein »

deurbroucq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:15 pm »

I'm very sorry about that - I got caught by a very obscure bug! When you crank up the scarcity things go wonky in flux generation - set it back one frequency and your life should be sunshine and roses.

Phew. I was stuck too and I was thinking even this great beast of a book cannot help me. <cry>

But I am glad I checked this thread.  I can confirm setting minerals back one frequency works! Yay! I made it past page 14!

themagicdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • This is a stack of 7 well-prepared unicorn heart r
    • View Profile
    • Unicorn Brain Stew - Blog
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

Bought a copy; part sentimental part necessity.

I think one of the best parts of the book is the preface by Tarn himself.

It reminds me that someone is furiously working through the night to cultivate our dorfs' future. BLOOD FOR ARMOK!

Learned a lot about eggs and embarking. I'm up to chapter six about Merchants - I already know to kill the Elves, what else could I need to know?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:14 pm »

Bought a copy; part sentimental part necessity.

I think one of the best parts of the book is the preface by Tarn himself.

It reminds me that someone is furiously working through the night to cultivate our dorfs' future. BLOOD FOR ARMOK!

Learned a lot about eggs and embarking. I'm up to chapter six about Merchants - I already know to kill the Elves, what else could I need to know?

How to trick them into bringing less crap and more cloth?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2012, 09:55:06 pm »

Having never previously been able to get into Dwarf Fortress, I ordered the physical book (because I like physical books) which I just got today. And I'm not even to the point of embarking and I'm already "stuck".

I generated a world according to the book's suggestions (savagery very low, minerals everywhere, medium everything else) and then, following the book's instructions, I tried using the site finder to find an area with low savagery, medium temperature, flux stone, no aquifer, multiple shallow & deep metals and >=some soil. No results. I generated another world and tried the same search. No results. I generated another. No results. I generated a fourth world using the largest world size. No results. On this same world, I tried tweaking the site finder settings to be less picky. No results. On all of these searches, the only item in the list of site finder settings left in red was "Flux Stone". Am I doing something wrong or is it just really hard to find flux stone? I'm getting tired of waiting for worlds to generate and searches to finish. If I am to use more lenient settings with the site finder, what settings are OK to change to find a good starting location?

Of course, I don't know if having a flux stone or not is a big deal, but until I know what I'm doing, I want to follow the book's instructions.

Same thing is happening to me.  I'm on my fifth world without a valid site, with flux being the missing ingredient.  Given that world gen takes a fair amount of time, this has been excruciating.

I'm sure I could always trade for it, but there's no guarantee it would come with the initial caravan.

[edit] I should pay more attention - apparently all you need to do is set the minerals to spawn with slightly less frequency and you're golden.[/edit]

I've heard rumor tht the problem is not that there is no flux in the world because of the minerals, it's that the sheer amount of minerals in each site it's checking is causing the game to ignore the flux. There could be veritable mountains of limestone and chalk down there, but it won't tell you that. Try looking around on the embark screen and embarking on a nice forested/swampy area far from volcanoes (beware of aquifers!); it should have abundant sedimentary layers, some of them likely being flux. Marble is also a flux stone that doesn't show up with the site finder, but is actually very common. You could try embarking on volcanoes, even, and probably end up with a marble layer deep down somewhere.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 06:05:19 am »

In my dream of dreams Toady fixes this one soon and I don't have to stress about all my poor readers being stuck! =)

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2012, 10:01:12 am »

I've heard rumor tht the problem is not that there is no flux in the world because of the minerals, it's that the sheer amount of minerals in each site it's checking is causing the game to ignore the flux.

I can confirm that I created a world with minerals set to everywhere and there was flux on it(but yes, the "find desired location" couldn't find it). I had to use the DFHack on the area to be sure that there was flux on it before embark, though.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

just got this thread through a link and got a good laugh.

1: flux is related to volcanism. I'm currently experimenting if it's related to aquifers

2: if you get weird migrants or other strange thing, please ask at the DF gameplay questions forum. In this case, it's known as the "trader bug" and can be fixed with dfhack

I have to ask. How do you dare this.

making a manual for something is fine for free, paid if you own the rights. You just made money from DF by using the DF trademark. You claim this as the DF manual, but you neither have the blessing or permission of the owner of said brand, nor do you, as it turns out, a complete knowledge of the game.

edit: before I forget, the site finder is still not working properly. This wasn't in this manual?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:55:24 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »

What about every single gameguide or strategy guide that you can buy that don't pay a cent to the companies that make the games they are about?

These books will probably cause more in donations than they cost.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2012, 01:55:29 pm »

just got this thread through a link and got a good laugh.

1: flux is related to volcanism. I'm currently experimenting if it's related to aquifers

2: if you get weird migrants or other strange thing, please ask at the DF gameplay questions forum. In this case, it's known as the "trader bug" and can be fixed with dfhack

I have to ask. How do you dare this.

making a manual for something is fine for free, paid if you own the rights. You just made money from DF by using the DF trademark. You claim this as the DF manual, but you neither have the blessing or permission of the owner of said brand, nor do you, as it turns out, a complete knowledge of the game.
Toady wrote the intro for this book.  I am pretty sure TinyPirate has an okay from him...
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16