Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91237 times)

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2012, 11:54:48 am »

Yes - it isn't well explained on O'Reilly's site, but O'R ebook customers will be alerted when the book is updated and able to grab a new copy. Other owners can, if they wish, "register" their book with O'R for $5 and also get the updates.

Okay, that right there? That's goddamn awesome.

Reviewed it on GoodReads just now and sent some recommendations to some people I know who /should/ be using it.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

Hi all. Now, I'm interested in buying the book, but I'm not sure if my kindle fire will be able to get the O'riely version rather than amazon, and I don't know if my parents are going to spend $15 on a strategy guide. But anyways, nice work, and I hope you make more than a few bucks from it.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:53 pm »

Hi all. Now, I'm interested in buying the book, but I'm not sure if my kindle fire will be able to get the O'riely version rather than amazon, and I don't know if my parents are going to spend $15 on a strategy guide. But anyways, nice work, and I hope you make more than a few bucks from it.

If you email the doc to your kindle's address, it'll drop right on with no problem.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »

You get the choice of three formats from O'Reilly. epub, pdf and another one I forgot. I know my kindle app on my phone reads the .pdf just fine.

Too bad the print version isn't in color though. That would've made the illustrations even sweeter.

bugmnt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2012, 08:08:16 am »

I think this is excellent news! I've tried multiple times in the past to get into Dwarf Fortress but while the wiki might be a good resource for established players it certainly didn't help me getting started. The various tutorials I started seemed to be nice but I've never seen a comprehensive and up to date one that I liked (subjective I know). So I was delighted to see this book released and I hope for more updates in the future.

One thing would be nice: If you mention some way of giving you feedback in the book itself. Be it via mail, this forum or any other form of contact. It'd also be nice to be more specific with the version you're targeting. Seeing as there were three releases of DF in May alone with what looks to be substantial changes it'd be nice to just mention that this book is current as of version xx.yy.

Last but not least I've got a question: I tried following the book and created a world with the recommended settings (all defaults except Savagery: Very Low and Mineral Occurrence: Everywhere) but I can't for the heck of it find a spot in the world that fits the settings from table 2.4 (Savagery: Low, Temperature: Medium, Flux Stone: Yes, Aquifier: No, River: Yes, Shallow Metals: Multiple, Deep Metals: Multiple, Soil: <= Some). Flux Stone is always the problem (always red in the site finder thing).

Now I'm obviously not sure if I'm doing something wrong, this is an error in the book, I'm having extremely bad luck or it is due to a change in one of the versions in May.

I've created about 50 worlds so far without any luck. None of these words mean anything to me yet so I don't want to start out the wrong way in case that hinders me following the rest of the book.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2012, 09:04:40 am »

Don't worry, for a start it is not really necessary to have all things covered.
Your fortress will probably fall to some epic catastrophe before you are even able to use all options of the game. ;)

If not, you can always start over once you are more familiar with the game.

I myself often start over, even create new worlds just for the fun of it.

After a while you will develope a feeling for good locations, where to find them and how to adjust the embark spot to match your wishes. :)

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2012, 09:58:19 am »

I have that same problem. Just set the mineral occurence down to frequent and you will find plenty of flux.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2012, 03:30:23 am »

Yup, sorry about that. It's a weird bug that I didn't know about when I made some edits to one of the later drafts. It's on "the list" for fixing.

bugmnt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2012, 08:03:32 am »

No worries, thanks for fixing it.

Where and how do you prefer feedback then?

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:05 am »

Wherever is easiest - PM here is always good :)

Necronopticous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Primary Colors
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »

Holy cow, I just saw this and ordered immediately for the novelty alone. I still have my O'Reilly text books from college, so this will be a welcome addition. I am also very excited to work this tome into the standard introduction I give friends and co-workers to Dwarf Fortress. I'm really looking forward to checking this thing out.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2012, 10:47:56 pm »

I bought the book! It's a great read  :)

got me back into DF for $8 for the e-book on sale :P

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2012, 03:54:58 am »

Awesome! Glad folks are having fun. Also, don't forget to donate to Toady!

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »

Other owners can, if they wish, "register" their book with O'R for $5 and also get the updates.

I've registered my physical copy (bought from bookdepository.co.uk), but there's no upgrade option...

Rocket Scion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:23 pm »

I plan to eventually pick up the paper copy of this.

I can confirm, I needed tutorials to start, not the wiki. I'm still learning, and I think the book would help. It would be helpful to see a paper copy in the store to make sure it would be useful.

A few advantages of paper copies:
- to gain interest in a store -  with luck people would consider "most complex video game ever" a challenge
- slow internet - several people sharing one phone line (compared to the wiki)
- slow internet + cellular dead zone - unable to download large files
- not having to switch between windows
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16