Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91184 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »

@NYDwarf - nope, not totally hosed, you can turn on labours for dwarves easily enough (if you didn't buy them at the start) but you might need to skip ahead and read a bit in the chapter on Dwarf Resource Management. Also, thanks for the errata tip for the website - I hadn't noticed I could publish some for all to see! Also, updating the OP is a good idea. Will do later, ta.

@krenshala - I don't have solid numbers! O'Reilly are very pleased, but I know no more than that yet!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:31:58 am by TinyPirate »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2012, 05:08:50 pm »

@krenshala - I don't have solid numbers! O'Reilly are very pleased, but I know no more than that yes!

More Blood for the Blood God!  More uh ... paper for the ... uh ... Blood God's Bookshelf ...  err

(The Bookshelf is made of bones!)
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

@NYDwarf - nope, not totally hosed, you can turn on labours for dwarves easily enough (if you didn't buy them at the start) but you might need to skip ahead and read a bit in the chapter on Dwarf Resource Management. Also, thanks for the errata tip for the website - I hadn't noticed I could publish some for all to see! Also, updating the OP is a good idea. Will do later, ta.

@krenshala - I don't have solid numbers! O'Reilly are very pleased, but I know no more than that yes!
Well, I don't know about O'Reilly, but I am very pleased.  I ordered my dead-tree/recycled-electron combo just a few days ago, and the dead-tree version arrived at work today!  I wasn't expecting UPS ground to deliver until late next week. ;)

My only disappointment with the print copy is the art/graphics are in black and white instead of color, as they are in the softcopy.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 30, 2012, 04:32:57 am »

Yeah. I don't think O'Reilly are used to printing in colour.  Also, updating the OP now with the big bad bug.

Oh, I'm thinking of doing intermediate/advanced YouTube tutorials on set topics. Would folks find that interesting? Are others doing this already? I'm thinking of doing individual and focused tutorials on particular topics, eg, building a repeater, building a danger room, setting up a dwarven reactor, breeching aquifers. Etc. Don't want to do this if people have this niche well covered.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:38:25 am by TinyPirate »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2012, 04:50:29 am »

I just heard this:

Dave Snider at Giant Bomb recently bought the book and they did a multi-hour members only live stream of him trying to play using what he'd learned from the text.

Did anyone watch or hear anything about it?

trqnick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2012, 06:54:19 am »

Bought the book the other day.
I've been following DF for a while now, watching various let's plays. I've been able to start off, but usually fall short. I've definitely gotten further through the use of this book. I'm sure users of all levels could find use in this book. It's written wonderfully and easy to understand. I commend you for that, that's definitely not easy, let alone doing it for such a complex game.

Oh, I'm thinking of doing intermediate/advanced YouTube tutorials on set topics. Would folks find that interesting? Are others doing this already? I'm thinking of doing individual and focused tutorials on particular topics, eg, building a repeater, building a danger room, setting up a dwarven reactor, breeching aquifers. Etc. Don't want to do this if people have this niche well covered.

Even if they're covered I've still love to see them covered from you.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2012, 08:32:13 am »

Aww, you're adorable! Let's get married and have babies!

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2012, 10:12:46 am »

Yeah. I don't think O'Reilly are used to printing in colour.  Also, updating the OP now with the big bad bug.

That's a good idea and I would welcome it.

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2012, 10:16:07 am »

I just heard this:

Dave Snider at Giant Bomb recently bought the book and they did a multi-hour members only live stream of him trying to play using what he'd learned from the text.

Did anyone watch or hear anything about it?

Part 1 is here: http://www.giantbomb.com/dave-fortress-part-01/17-6292/

Unfortunately, it's for premium users only.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:24 am »

Sorry about this, but yet another question about the book/getting started. (PDF version)

p31, it says "The herbalist dwarf has the Architecture labor enabled, and the Trade Depot is one of a few constructions that requires an architect..."

Alas, it seems that I may have messed up because my herbalist doesn't seem to have this skill. He is supposed to have "Building Designer" from p20, but it looks like I didn't give that skill to anyone and instead gave the "Mechanic's" other skills to two Dwarves. Am I totally hosed here?

Thanks!

architecture can speed up some constructions, like bridges, archery targets, roads and wells. Since those are very uncommon, you can't really train an architect and strange moods don't go for raising it. Conclusion, don't spend points in it if you can spend them somewhere better. It's never going to be legendary and  such, so don't bother. Usually, you want that bridge built fast, not beautifull, so let urist McClumsy at it since he has time. The only reason to buy it is to have the labor on at embark, so you don't need to use threapist or another program to add it or do it manually.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2012, 11:40:07 am »

You could train architecture by having one dwarf assigned the job and designate a bunch of small bridges, wells, or other tasks that require an architect to design it first.  The advantage is that the design of an item can have a quality modifier (e.g., This is a masterfully designed microcline well ...) that can modify the happiness of those that view/use it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:17 pm »

You could train architecture by having one dwarf assigned the job and designate a bunch of small bridges, wells, or other tasks that require an architect to design it first.  The advantage is that the design of an item can have a quality modifier (e.g., This is a masterfully designed microcline well ...) that can modify the happiness of those that view/use it.

very true. It's just that most people never bother, too much effort for too little return
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2012, 08:55:02 am »

Sorry about this, but yet another question about the book/getting started. (PDF version)

p31, it says "The herbalist dwarf has the Architecture labor enabled, and the Trade Depot is one of a few constructions that requires an architect..."

Alas, it seems that I may have messed up because my herbalist doesn't seem to have this skill. He is supposed to have "Building Designer" from p20, but it looks like I didn't give that skill to anyone and instead gave the "Mechanic's" other skills to two Dwarves. Am I totally hosed here?

Thanks!

architecture can speed up some constructions, like bridges, archery targets, roads and wells. Since those are very uncommon, you can't really train an architect and strange moods don't go for raising it. Conclusion, don't spend points in it if you can spend them somewhere better. It's never going to be legendary and  such, so don't bother. Usually, you want that bridge built fast, not beautifull, so let urist McClumsy at it since he has time. The only reason to buy it is to have the labor on at embark, so you don't need to use threapist or another program to add it or do it manually.
Umm..... you DO realize you don't need an external program to enable labors for people, right?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2012, 09:11:55 am »

I've heard that getting someone from Dabbling to Novice takes a lot longer than Novice to Adequate, so a single skill-point in Architecture probably isn't a bad idea. And anything that gets the trade depot, the well, any drawbridges and your smelters put together a bit quicker is worth dropping a few embark points on.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2012, 12:43:08 pm »

Umm..... you DO realize you don't need an external program to enable labors for people, right?

He said "or you can do it manually." Only old-timers mess with this disaster of an interface.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16