Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91249 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:38 pm »

I went looking for this at a local Barnes and Noble today, but didn't find it (I was probably looking in the wrong section).  The wife was in a rush to get home, so I didn't both to ask an employee.  I'll be ordering the print+ebook from the O'Reilly website as soon as I can corner the wife and get her card (she's at work right now). ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2012, 05:11:44 am »

@Over - kinda hard to update the print copy! Hey, if you ever need to own the book, some time in the future, to update yourself to the most recent version, there might be some good deals on it then.

@Rocket - it won't be available in shops unless you ask. You could try asking people to look at placing some orders? Alternately, if you head to Amazon.com you can search for the book and see a bit of a google preview.

@Krenshala - yeah, you'd have to ask the bookshops to stock it. Good luck with the wife :D

All - a forum friend shared this "action shot" of the book. I can't resist sharing it.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 05:59:39 am »

LOL, now with added meme! Reddit user Chobeat updated the picture I just linked!

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 07:22:58 am »

@Over - kinda hard to update the print copy! Hey, if you ever need to own the book, some time in the future, to update yourself to the most recent version, there might be some good deals on it then.

If I understood correctly what's on their site, I can register a print book and, for 4,99$, get an ebook update (that means I don't have to buy the ebook at full price if I already bought a physical copy).

Here's a quote from their site:

"Upgrade to the electronic version of any print book you've registered at oreilly.com, for just $4.99.

Just view a complete list of books you've registered with O'Reilly and click the Ebook Upgrade button."

However, next to my registered print copy, there's no upgrade button or link.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:24:34 am by Over »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:06 am »

Hey, wow, that would be great - Sorry, I didn't know that. Us authors are somewhat removed from what publishers get up to. All I can suggest is try and get hold of their help people. If you don't get an answer I'll give you the contact of my editor. Please keep in touch.

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:52 pm »

Problem solved:

Hi Over,
>
> I'm sorry to hear that you weren't offered a $4.99 ebook upgrade button next to your registered book.   That problem was corrected a little while ago, so that button should appear next to the registered book in your account in a couple of hours.
>
> Best regards,
> Chris Olson
> O'Reilly Book Support

I've upgraded and in total, print book + ebook (mobi, epub, PDF), it cost me around 17€. I think it's worth having both print and electronic formats. The first to collect and for a different reading experience, the second to keep updated and take anywhere in my Kindle.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 06:48:24 pm »

I bought a copy on Saturday!  It's supposed to be here by the 23rd. I'm so looking forward to it :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 07:24:05 pm »

I bought and read my copy while at work today, I can't wait until the paper version arrives. :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2012, 04:33:20 am »

@Over - Brilliant, glad it's all fixed!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »

It's here, and it's BEAUTIFUL

:D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

vegardpompey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2012, 03:17:46 pm »

Having never previously been able to get into Dwarf Fortress, I ordered the physical book (because I like physical books) which I just got today. And I'm not even to the point of embarking and I'm already "stuck".

I generated a world according to the book's suggestions (savagery very low, minerals everywhere, medium everything else) and then, following the book's instructions, I tried using the site finder to find an area with low savagery, medium temperature, flux stone, no aquifer, multiple shallow & deep metals and >=some soil. No results. I generated another world and tried the same search. No results. I generated another. No results. I generated a fourth world using the largest world size. No results. On this same world, I tried tweaking the site finder settings to be less picky. No results. On all of these searches, the only item in the list of site finder settings left in red was "Flux Stone". Am I doing something wrong or is it just really hard to find flux stone? I'm getting tired of waiting for worlds to generate and searches to finish. If I am to use more lenient settings with the site finder, what settings are OK to change to find a good starting location?

Of course, I don't know if having a flux stone or not is a big deal, but until I know what I'm doing, I want to follow the book's instructions.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:07 pm »

Setting mineral scarcity to 'everywhere' currently borks the site finder. I'd recommend using DFhack's 'prospect all' command to easily tell what minerals are available before embarking.

Edit:
Oh, flux stone is important, as it's the only way to produce steel from iron. You can get by using just iron or bronze, but steel is nicer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:26:05 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

Having never previously been able to get into Dwarf Fortress, I ordered the physical book (because I like physical books) which I just got today. And I'm not even to the point of embarking and I'm already "stuck".

I'm very sorry about that - I got caught by a very obscure bug! When you crank up the scarcity things go wonky in flux generation - set it back one frequency and your life should be sunshine and roses.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2012, 08:23:59 am »

Woah, things are going a little crazy.

- Kotaku (lots of new potential players noticing it it seems)
- PC Gamer (reported elsewhere on this forum)
- And Giant Bomb is going to do some play-through of the game on Friday? Probably unrelated, but great to see.

I hope DF gets a ton more fans! Weee!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:31:17 am by TinyPirate »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2012, 09:08:05 am »

@Krenshala - yeah, you'd have to ask the bookshops to stock it. Good luck with the wife :D
Just ordered dead-tree and recycled-electron format combo from O'Reilly.

Now to enjoy the latter version while I wait for the arrival of the former. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16