Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553087 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3165 on: November 14, 2015, 02:00:12 pm »

Anyone know a good substitute for sugar in savory food? I have a habit of putting a spoonful of sugar in salads, noodles, steaks and other ing. Honey just taste weird in them. I may have a problem.
And that problem will be diabeetus.
TBH, it might be sugar's infamous addictiveness beckoning. It's bizarre how over-sugary things taste when you drop your sugar intake for a while.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: November 14, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »

If you don't want soups then stews. When you boil meat long enough, you don't even have to chew. If all else fails then there's always bananas.

When I got my wisdom tooth removes, all I ate is potato soup and chili from the grocery.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: November 14, 2015, 06:21:38 pm »

Applesauce and pudding are great when you've had wisdom teeth removed. I would suggest yogurt, but it looks like you already got that covered.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: November 14, 2015, 06:47:10 pm »

This might not be the best place to ask, but can someone recommend a good after-dinner wine I can get a bottle of for less than $60? I have a slight preference for imports but US domestic is fine. Quality matters more than quantity, but there needs to be enough for four people.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: November 14, 2015, 07:08:36 pm »

This might not be the best place to ask, but can someone recommend a good after-dinner wine I can get a bottle of for less than $60? I have a slight preference for imports but US domestic is fine. Quality matters more than quantity, but there needs to be enough for four people.
I can't give any specific brands, but if you're looking for a dessert wine you're likely looking for something sweet. If you want some very strong alcohol, some variation on port is a good bet. If you want something less alcoholic, anything made with grapes affected by noble rot will do well; look for Sauternes, Tokay (Tokaji, etc), or one of the German variants listed on that Wikipedia page. Finally, there's a kind I'm quite fond of that's so sweet as to be almost syrupy, and it has a nutty, almost pecan, flavor to it - I can't recall the name, unfortunately, but if you have a local store that carries quality wines, you may be able to find something similar by looking for a small (375 mL bottle) bottle of thick, golden-brown wine made from Moscato grapes.

For $60, you should be able to do quite well. In my experience, prices above $40 for dessert wines are for prestige more than quality (per 750 mL), unless you already know exactly what you want and the only producer that makes it charges exorbitantly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: November 14, 2015, 09:20:22 pm »

I can't give any specific brands, but if you're looking for a dessert wine you're likely looking for something sweet. If you want some very strong alcohol, some variation on port is a good bet. If you want something less alcoholic, anything made with grapes affected by noble rot will do well; look for Sauternes, Tokay (Tokaji, etc), or one of the German variants listed on that Wikipedia page. Finally, there's a kind I'm quite fond of that's so sweet as to be almost syrupy, and it has a nutty, almost pecan, flavor to it - I can't recall the name, unfortunately, but if you have a local store that carries quality wines, you may be able to find something similar by looking for a small (375 mL bottle) bottle of thick, golden-brown wine made from Moscato grapes.

For $60, you should be able to do quite well. In my experience, prices above $40 for dessert wines are for prestige more than quality (per 750 mL), unless you already know exactly what you want and the only producer that makes it charges exorbitantly.

Thanks for this. There is a quality wine shop nearby, and I'm sure they'll have the port at least (though whether or not it came from Portugal is another question entirely.) I'll post about how it goes afterward.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: November 14, 2015, 09:49:07 pm »

If there's a shop dedicated specifically to alcohol, I would definitely ask there for an opinion. Try to steer them toward discussion of styles instead of specific products - it's their job to sell you stuff, after all, but they should in the process provide some information about the generalities if you're new to the whole thing. Good luck!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3172 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:00 am »

Woke up, checked that the gross-looking white blood clots are in place and haven't been dislodged by my constant coughing, grabbed a banana for breakfast. "It's been a day and a half now," I said to myself. "I bet I can eat this banana normally. I bet I don't even need the little spoon."

Nope.

My mouth literally will not open wide enough to get any part of the banana inside without smearing it all over my face.

And with applesauce, yeah, that's usually good, but full of sugar. ("No sugar added" versions are not easy to find here and are ludicrously expensive.) So I got the apple flavored baby foods with no added sugar and it's even better. :) In fact, I think I'd better load up a jar of that stuff with some piskoty right now and let it sit a while... Ohhhhh and I can put some yogurt in there too!

A friend of mine is doing a big brunch today. She invited me. I was like waaaaaahhhhhhhh I can't eat brunch ;.....(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 17, 2015, 09:23:34 am »

I find it interesting in cooking that there is a "Less is More" rule with a lot of dishes.

Add too much butter to Grilled Cheese and it will actually taste less buttery. Add too much cinnamon and it will just taste dusty.

I wish I was a better cook so I could make my own dishes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 17, 2015, 09:42:24 am »

Sound like you're most of the way there. You obviously have a little bit of a palette for flavors, now all you need is practice. My palette is less developed than my seven year old daughter's, but like to cook, and guests rave about my cooking, especially my homemade Alfredo, or anything I grill.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: November 17, 2015, 11:15:32 am »

Is there anything I can do with a pile of grapefruit pulp besides shove it all in my mouth?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:10 am »

You already de-juiced it? Hmmm... You could try processing it into some sort of cake - that would give interesting results. Or make soup of some kind.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: November 17, 2015, 11:33:44 am »

You could throw it in a smoothie. Or a pie, though I'm not sure what pie I'd mix it into.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: November 17, 2015, 11:42:50 am »

Nah, not de-juiced.

I just peeled a grapefruit, and then peeled the individual sections, and put the contents into a bowl.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: November 17, 2015, 11:56:11 am »

Juice it, then! Or just pour some sugar over it and then enjoy.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 334