Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334]

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 549897 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4995 on: September 17, 2024, 07:16:10 pm »

I've not entirely sure how, but today I made chicken that smelled exactly like bacon. Cooked it like I've mentioned upthread a few times, sorta'-braised. Seasoned primarily with curry powder and paprika, secondarily with basil/rosemary/black pepper/brown sugar/lemon juice, dash or two of cayenne. Didn't taste like bacon at all (it was good, mind, but distinctly chicken, not bacon), but it smelled dead on like I had cooked up a plate of maple cooked bacon.

I swear there's something about cooking with curry seasoning that just kinda' makes my sense of smell go haywire. The seasoning on its own is fine and distinct, but when I start adding stuff to it my nose just doesn't seem to understand wtf is going on. Half the time it doesn't smell like food, other times it smells incredible, and then there's the times where it smells incredible but nothing like whatever it is I'm cooking, lot of the time it will cycle through those three states as I cook. Bacon chicken, iirc I made potatoes that smelled like cotton candy once, so on and so forth. S'friggin' weird.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: September 17, 2024, 09:05:21 pm »

Have you ever had Covid? That does weird things to your sense of smell apparently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: September 18, 2024, 07:55:20 am »

We've grown some hot peppers in our garden, because why not. Now, what to do with them? They're too hot to use more than half at a time in any regular dish, so we'll probably have to settle on some long term storage solutions. So far the only thing that comes to mind is to make a chilli paste and put it in jars.
Any other ideas?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 18, 2024, 08:19:54 am »

Dry out, crumble up? Turn into seasoning, something you can stick in a shaker.

Not sure of the specifics of doing that with peppers, but it should be possible? Probably make it easier to use just a little on any particular dish, too, or can fiddle with making your own seasoning mixes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334]