Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553045 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3180 on: November 17, 2015, 12:12:33 pm »

If you have an adequately sharp knife, slice the segments thinly and top a pizza with them.

i have no reason to expect this to end in anything but comedy
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: November 17, 2015, 05:57:33 pm »

Why not try boiling them in syrup and then cool it?

[diabeetus intensifies]
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:05:03 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: November 23, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »

So last night I made a savory pie. The filling was ground meat, mushrooms, a can of beans and a can of mixed vegetables, and it turned out really good. But then I ruined it all with the crust. I used 8 spoons of margarine and 8 spoons of lard with two cups of flour, and the texture turned out how I think it's supposed to (light and very crumbly), but the taste is simply not something that goes well (or at all) with a savory filling. What gives? I thought savory pies use the same kind of crust as sweet pies. Is this my mistake, or did I overlook something else? This my first time not only baking a pie, but also eating one, so I don't really have a frame of reference as to what's a pie supposed to be like.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: November 23, 2015, 01:08:35 pm »

Well here is something

You made a savory pie and for a crust you made a very savory crust :P

Also I thought savory pies use pastry crusts that are kind of like biscuits, not like... apple pie crusts.

Note: I am by far not an expert
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:11:44 pm by Neonivek »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3184 on: November 23, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

So last night I made a savory pie. The filling was ground meat, mushrooms, a can of beans and a can of mixed vegetables, and it turned out really good. But then I ruined it all with the crust. I used 8 spoons of margarine and 8 spoons of lard with two cups of flour, and the texture turned out how I think it's supposed to (light and very crumbly), but the taste is simply not something that goes well (or at all) with a savory filling. What gives? I thought savory pies use the same kind of crust as sweet pies. Is this my mistake, or did I overlook something else? This my first time not only baking a pie, but also eating one, so I don't really have a frame of reference as to what's a pie supposed to be like.

The only difference I can think of is that I use puff pastry not shortcrust, although it's hard to say which you used from your post. It gives a nice tender 'lid' with a crispy top and sides that are either fairly neutral or fairly savoury in flavour.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: November 23, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »

My best guess is that the margarine and shortening didn't flavor yours as well as butter would - they are not fats that are prized for their flavor. Or you need to add salt, or maybe a dash of sugar. I've made a very good pie crust with just flour, butter, and a little salt and sugar.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: November 23, 2015, 01:30:25 pm »

Yeah, I think butter would've worked much better than margarine I reckon, but I didn't have any. Also, in retrospect, puff pastry makes a lot more sense than shortdough, but I googled pie crusts on the internet and basically all recipes I found were shortdough. I haven't really made it before, and all the times I've eaten it it was in a cake and it worked well there, but I just don't see how it's supposed to work with meat :/

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3187 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:19 pm »

My best guess is that the margarine and shortening didn't flavor yours as well as butter would - they are not fats that are prized for their flavor. Or you need to add salt, or maybe a dash of sugar. I've made a very good pie crust with just flour, butter, and a little salt and sugar.

I've had pretty tolerable pie crusts made with margarine. A little salt would probably be good, yeah - just don't overdo it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: November 23, 2015, 01:37:09 pm »

I did actually use a teaspoon of salt, so it's not lacking in that department. It's just that the shortdough texture combined with meat flavor feels horribly wrong. And I still have half the pie left, and I hate to throw away food :-[

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: November 23, 2015, 01:50:59 pm »

This might not be the best place to ask, but can someone recommend a good after-dinner wine I can get a bottle of for less than $60? I have a slight preference for imports but US domestic is fine. Quality matters more than quantity, but there needs to be enough for four people.
I can't give any specific brands, but if you're looking for a dessert wine you're likely looking for something sweet. If you want some very strong alcohol, some variation on port is a good bet. If you want something less alcoholic, anything made with grapes affected by noble rot will do well; look for Sauternes, Tokay (Tokaji, etc), or one of the German variants listed on that Wikipedia page. Finally, there's a kind I'm quite fond of that's so sweet as to be almost syrupy, and it has a nutty, almost pecan, flavor to it - I can't recall the name, unfortunately, but if you have a local store that carries quality wines, you may be able to find something similar by looking for a small (375 mL bottle) bottle of thick, golden-brown wine made from Moscato grapes.

For $60, you should be able to do quite well. In my experience, prices above $40 for dessert wines are for prestige more than quality (per 750 mL), unless you already know exactly what you want and the only producer that makes it charges exorbitantly.

Thanks for this. There is a quality wine shop nearby, and I'm sure they'll have the port at least (though whether or not it came from Portugal is another question entirely.) I'll post about how it goes afterward.

I know what they say about quoting yourself, but this happened yesterday. I got a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 year old tawny on the internet at the shop owner's recommendation for about $28, plus some shipping. I'm not really the type of guy who can describe the taste of something in a useful manner, but I can say that it was well worth the purchase. 8/10 would recommend.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: November 23, 2015, 02:20:06 pm »

Oh, the texture is wrong? Crust texture is more a matter of technique than ingredients. Is it flakey?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: November 23, 2015, 02:35:40 pm »

Does flakey mean it has no bend to it at all and instead just crumbles? If so, yes, very much so. Too much in fact. I'd prefer it if it was a little bit chewy, rather than just disintegrating on my teeth. Also, I think it's a bit too lardy. You can't actually taste the lard since it's flavor is so neutral, but it feels kinda heavy in the stomach and I assume that's the fat content.

Anyway, if the texture is supposed to turn out like this, I guess pies just aren't my thing. Well, it might work for me with apple filling, but it's unlikely so I'm not gonna waste materials on that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:49:27 pm by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: November 23, 2015, 03:13:11 pm »

Flakey crust isn't particularly bendy, but it should bend a little before it crumbles. And it should break up into flat flakes instead of round crumbs. I think the texture is a major improvement but you might be looking for something else. A puff pastry crust like Arx suggested should be chewier.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:07 am »

Well, 'tis the season. I finally had a morning where everyone was out of the house so I could experiment in peace.

Two-egg Noglette
Cracked two eggs into a bowl and whisked them up. Added a pinch of cinnamon, grated in some fresh nutmeg, and added a hearty splash of store-bought eggnog. Cooked it up in a frying pan like a regular omelette. Didn't add any filling, because I frankly had no idea how it would come out.

Verdict:
Surprise, it came out tasting pretty much like eggnog. I may have been a bit too heavy-handed with it, because the cooked texture was super fluffy and somewhat lacking in structural integrity. It was also very sweet, as expected. In retrospect, I think it definitely needed some kind of savory filling to balance out the sweetness. Some chopped up breakfast sausage probably would have been great if I'd had some (but then I'm a monster who normally puts syrup on their sausages) or even some sharp cheddar, I don't know. Any suggestions?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: December 01, 2015, 11:20:03 am »

Well, 'tis the season. I finally had a morning where everyone was out of the house so I could experiment in peace.

Two-egg Noglette
Cracked two eggs into a bowl and whisked them up. Added a pinch of cinnamon, grated in some fresh nutmeg, and added a hearty splash of store-bought eggnog. Cooked it up in a frying pan like a regular omelette. Didn't add any filling, because I frankly had no idea how it would come out.

Verdict:
Surprise, it came out tasting pretty much like eggnog. I may have been a bit too heavy-handed with it, because the cooked texture was super fluffy and somewhat lacking in structural integrity. It was also very sweet, as expected. In retrospect, I think it definitely needed some kind of savory filling to balance out the sweetness. Some chopped up breakfast sausage probably would have been great if I'd had some (but then I'm a monster who normally puts syrup on their sausages) or even some sharp cheddar, I don't know. Any suggestions?

Ricotta cheese?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 334