Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 553109 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3150 on: October 21, 2015, 11:46:26 pm »

Beware of 'soy sauce' made primarily from hydrolysed wheat protein rather than fermented soy; that may be explaining the difference in taste you're experiencing. That said, I'm fairly sure Kikkoman is a good brand; you may just be used to the hydrolysed wheat stuff and not expecting the flavour of actual soy sauce.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3151 on: October 22, 2015, 12:30:20 am »

Well it's gluten-free, so I would be pretty surprised to see wheat in there. I just checked the label, and the ingredients are water, soybeans, corn flour, salt, color, and a preservative. I suppose the corn flour is what you're referring to. But it tastes good and has less salt than regular soy sauce, so I don't see why it should matter if there is an extra ingredient. The brand is Pearl River Bridge, by the way. It's all over the place here. I checked last time I went to the market and there was actually Kikkoman, but they didn't have a low-sodium version and it was *really* expensive (probably imported from America) so I probably wouldn't buy it anyway.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 29, 2015, 05:22:43 pm »

I made that turkish dumplings posted here some time ago. Key difference is I made it with pork and eat it like normal dumplings, dipping it in soy sauce.

Overall pretty nice and relatively quick to make. Or maybe I just didn't notice the time. Anyways its pretty simple to fold.

For anyone who knows the proper way its suppose to look, is the liquid suppose to dry out, be absorbed or is it suppose to have a little "soup"?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: October 29, 2015, 09:25:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the pic of the finished product. Not sure If I did it right. Over all it was good. Also phone pic is fuck huge and had to edit the picture to a manageable size.

Not sure if it was too wet or too oily. The liquid was eventually absorbed but it manage to be too oily. I guess using pork, butter and sesame oil at the same time does that.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3154 on: November 14, 2015, 04:20:34 am »

How about some good post-wisdom-teeth-removal recipes? The dentist said I should be able to eat normally within 24 hours, but nothing with small pieces that can get stuck in the holes. (No rice, oatmeal, tomatoes, etc.) I'm also limited because I can't open my mouth very wide. So far what I've managed is:

Some carrots roasted in the oven until very soft, left to cool, and fed into my mouth tiny bits at a time.
A banana on a plate, spooned into my mouth in tiny pieces with a teaspoon.
Some scrambled eggs, also spooned in tiny bits.

I'm going nuts here. I need something more substantial but I can't think of anything I could cook that wouldn't have small pieces of something. I can't even make pasta with sauce, too many little bits/seeds in the sauce. I'm also forbidden from eating anything spicy or salty, which is awful because I put chili in everything normally. :(

So anyone have some suggestions for something a little better than baby food?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3155 on: November 14, 2015, 05:06:46 am »

Vegetable roasts - squash and so on - don't tend to have a lot in the way of seeds. It's mostly an extension on the carrots you mentioned. Pasta in a creamy sauce like a carbonara could work as well.

Butternut soup is delicious and filling.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: November 14, 2015, 05:12:41 am »

Anyone know a good substitute for sugar in savory food? I have a habit of putting a spoonful of sugar in salads, noodles, steaks and other ing. Honey just taste weird in them. I may have a problem.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: November 14, 2015, 05:16:04 am »

If they're still in season red horn peppers can be cleaned of seeds and just roasted in the oven with a bit of garlic thrown in at the end. You can chunk them up afterwards and they're tasty as fuck.

Also sugar in salads Cinder? Whyyyy???
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3158 on: November 14, 2015, 05:27:35 am »

Oh, I'm also lactose intolerant, so that limits any creamy/dairy-based foods.

I'm about to go to the supermarket now. My plan is to buy loads of yogurt, some baby food (fruit kind, the meat kind is eh), some more root vegetables (plenty of carrots but I can get some parsley, celery, maybe some parsnips), pumpkin or butternut squash if they have one at a reasonable price (that stuff is delicious but unreasonably expensive here), maybe some potatoes if I can find any that aren't rotten... And maybe some bread (without seeds, harder to find than you might think) and some kind of pate or spread to put on it. And maybe a can or two of baked beans or something...

So I won't starve. Looking forward to being able to eat normally again though.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: November 14, 2015, 05:49:06 am »

Ooooh, yeah, go for pumpkin soup! That shit's awesome. Any smooth soup would work, I guess - I highly recommend red lentils, especially when cooked to a mush.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:33 am »

Anyone know a good substitute for sugar in savory food? I have a habit of putting a spoonful of sugar in salads, noodles, steaks and other ing. Honey just taste weird in them. I may have a problem.
And that problem will be diabeetus.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3161 on: November 14, 2015, 05:57:38 am »

Potato soup is pretty good as well if you can make up a stock for it from chicken or a cube (hiss!).

Lactose intolerance makes it a bit harder. Could still do carbonara though, I think.

If you're craving something a bit meatier, putting mince through a blender can reduce it to a fairly smooth patê as well, which can then be cooked in many ways.

A tiny bit of something fruity works in curries. Otherwise, just learning to go without is probably the easiest ad best way.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:26 am »

Pumpkins look disgusting and taste disgusting. May be genetic engineering can make it taste like something tasty, one day.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: November 14, 2015, 06:17:19 am »

You gotta have the right sort of pumpkin and the right sort of recipe, of course.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3164 on: November 14, 2015, 06:44:23 am »

I should probably point out I also don't have a blender, so I'll probably stick to soft solid foods rather than soups.

Anywa, I'm home and loaded up for the next few days. They didn't have much in the way of root vegetables, but I have my carrots. I picked up a reasonably priced butternut squash. They did have delicious Hokkaido pumpkins, but they were more expensive so I stuck with the squash. Also got bananas, several large containers of yogurt, some soft bread without any seeds in it, a couple of cans of baked beans, several jars of fruit-flavored baby food, a big package of piskoty (if you're not familiar, they're sort of like ladyfingers except shaped like little nilla wafers - they get soft in liquid really fast and are often given to babies as a snack - also they taste really nice if you let them soak in the baby food for a while and get nice and soft)... And I can always run out to the Vietnamese market for some more varied root vegetables if I feel the need. I think I'll survive. Looking forward to having proper food again though. At least it's only a few days...
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 334