Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552909 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2475 on: February 24, 2015, 01:24:00 am »

I promised details. I have details. But first, some stuff I made a while ago that I didn't post.

Spoiler: bacon wrapped shrimp (click to show/hide)

I made significantly more of these than I could eat, but they were tasty. The shrimp were covered in garlic pepper before cooking. They're definitely better for sharing, but I think literally everyone I know either doesn't eat bacon, doesn't eat shrimp, or doesn't eat either.

Ground beef and quinoa mix together really well. This was a bowl of deliciousness.

And now, The Meatloaf. I have the full process, though I haven't been hospitalized yet so I can't fulfill that part. I'm sure it's just taking a while to clog my arteries; I'll edit the surgery pics into this post when it happens.

Spoiler: mmm, raw ground beef (click to show/hide)

First I mixed together all the loaf ingredients. This contained two pounds of beef, 1 and 1/3 cups of cracker crumbs (breadcrumbs suck), two eggs, a little over a cup of milk, and two small pan-fried shredded potatoes. I also added spices, but not enough (especially salt). It takes a lot of seasoning to flavor two pounds of meat I guess.

Frying the potatoes wasn't the best idea as they tried to glob up into a hash brown, so I think I'll bake them next time. I feel like I need to pre-cook them a bit or they'll be undercooked when the meat is done, but I might just be paranoid.

Anyway, I pressed the meat out into this rectangle shape that's about an inch thick.

Spoiler: add black forest ham! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: add sharp provolone! (click to show/hide)

Rolling it up was really hard. It involved grabbing it by the parchment paper (if I grabbed the beef my fingers just squished through), rolling it up, and peeling the parchment paper off before it got rolled into the meat. The meat really wanted to stick to the paper, though. I think next time I'll dust the paper with paprika or brown sugar first. Flour would probably work too, but that's the bland choice.

Also, some of you might see the fatal error here. I did not.

It's ready to go in the oven! I put it in at 350F for an hour and twenty minutes, taking it out at 20/40/60 minutes to brush the bacon with more maple syrup. I really like maple syrup.

Spoiler: out of the oven (click to show/hide)

All the cheese melted out because I left the ends open! If you try this at home, save some ground beef to seal in your cheese. It will save your life.

Spoiler: a slice (click to show/hide)

I usually put in more vegetables than this (chopped onion at least) but I was accommodating my carnivore roommate. The next one will have potatoes, carrots, onions, and whatever else I can think of that sounds good.

Next time I'll also avoid rolling it into a spiral shape. The ground beef at the center absorbed all the cheese oil or cooked differently or something, and the texture seems slightly off because of it. Beef on the outside, ham/cheese on the inside seems like the right choice.

This wasn't my best meatloaf, but I learned a lot here. The next one probably will be.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: February 24, 2015, 10:33:16 am »

Looks good... But for the garlic, which sadly ruins the whole affair.
There's only a single clove of garlic in there for three chicken fillets, so there was no distinct garlic taste. Most of the stuff covering the chicken on the first picture is not garlic but grated ginger.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: February 24, 2015, 11:55:46 am »

You missed one important thing that would maybe not make theirs work, and its one of the key elements of their meat loaf

Deer meat.... not beef
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: February 24, 2015, 11:59:11 am »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: February 24, 2015, 12:07:02 pm »

I will not stand here idly while someone is trashing garlic! I'll go stand over there...

Jokes aside, I tend to double the garlic requirement of most recipes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:48 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 08:19:27 am by penguinofhonor »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: February 24, 2015, 12:13:59 pm »

huh
I've always thought of deer tasting a bit more lean and gamey
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2482 on: February 24, 2015, 12:21:54 pm »

I found something I can get here that I can't (easily) get in Prague... corned beef! They sell it cheap as sandwich meat here, and I can fry it up with potatoes and onions to make my very own homemade corned beef hash. Then I can make some eggs too, and then it's the greatest breakfast ever.

Also, I got frustrated trying and failing to get a Scotch pie at the local chip shop (which always seems to be closed when I stop by there) so I bought a couple pre-made ones at Tesco and am heating one up in the oven now. I know it's not ideal, but damn it, I want to try one of these things. Next will be Cornish pasties.... Mmmmmm.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: February 24, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »

I found something I can get here that I can't (easily) get in Prague... corned beef! They sell it cheap as sandwich meat here, and I can fry it up with potatoes and onions to make my very own homemade corned beef hash. Then I can make some eggs too, and then it's the greatest breakfast ever.

Also, I got frustrated trying and failing to get a Scotch pie at the local chip shop (which always seems to be closed when I stop by there) so I bought a couple pre-made ones at Tesco and am heating one up in the oven now. I know it's not ideal, but damn it, I want to try one of these things. Next will be Cornish pasties.... Mmmmmm.

I love a good hash. It's all the best breakfast greases rolled into one.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2484 on: February 24, 2015, 01:54:56 pm »

I can't take meat with breakfast, usually. Especially not greasy meat. I'll have bacon and egg about seven times a year, but that's it.

The thought of fried corned beef and potatoes for breakfast terrifies me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: February 24, 2015, 02:35:31 pm »

I was darling around and I found something I want to make but not sure what recipe to go with
Bread stuffed with meat and cheese and baked.
Sounds much better than a normal sandwich
Anybody know a good recipe for this?
Sounds like meatbread.
Ya
Meat stuffed bread
Stuff your bread with meat and cheese and bake it, making meatbread. Then make sammich with two slices of meatbread. SAMMICHCEPTION
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: February 24, 2015, 02:55:00 pm »

We need to go deeper! Wrap that sandwich in dough and deep-fry it. Repeat. Then use the two as buns for a larger sandwich, still.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: February 24, 2015, 06:47:37 pm »

Made salad using sriracha sauce as base. My mouth is on fire and not hungry anymore. Mission accomplished. I should use mayo next time.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: February 24, 2015, 07:44:59 pm »

I bought a bottle of mustard oil today at an Indian restaurant to get my bill up above their minimum for charging to a credit card. Ideas?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: February 24, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

I bought a bottle of mustard oil today at an Indian restaurant to get my bill up above their minimum for charging to a credit card. Ideas?

You could use it in place of vegetable oil or olive oil. Its main culinary use seems to be as a cooking oil, if I'm understanding the wikipedia article correctly (its also used as a fuel oil and for ceremonial purposes)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 334