Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552912 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: An Offal Day
« Reply #2460 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:32 pm »

Speaking of lasagna
last year I felt like trying to cook eggplant and I decided eggplant lasagna sounded good

and it was
It wasn't as good as the normal lasagna my dad made but it was good
and watery
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: February 23, 2015, 04:16:24 pm »

Does anyone have any tips for peanut sauce they can share? I'm going to make some chicken and rice for dinner and I feel a spicy peanut sauce would really tie it together, but I haven't tried to make my own before and don't really know what to expect.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: February 23, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »

Does anyone have any tips for peanut sauce they can share? I'm going to make some chicken and rice for dinner and I feel a spicy peanut sauce would really tie it together, but I haven't tried to make my own before and don't really know what to expect.
1. Take peanuts.
2. Make sauce.
3. ???
4. Pad Thai.

I haven't actually done this myself, and I should look into it. But when it's so cheap to run to the Asian market and buy a tin of massaman curry, I have little reason to.

You could try taking peanut butter and thinning it with fish sauce, oyster sauce or soy sauce, and maybe adding a dollop of coconut milk to make it more sauce-like. Add a bit of chili oil or chili paste for the heat.

I will play around with this idea sometime this week and report back.

EDIT: regarding candied bacon, there's actually a brewpub here that serves a pint of candied bacon (in a pint glass no less) as an appetizer. It is not as delicious as you might think.....it is MORE DELICIOUS.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:32:25 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: February 23, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

I usually fry onion, then add peanut butter and yogurt, but my peanut sauce is decent but not great. Looking forward to tips.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:10 pm »

Ate salad from a Korean BBQ place. If I want to eat healthy, I want that kind of salad. Problem is I don't know how to make those. Its sort of a mix of leafy greens in sweet and spicy sauce but I'm pretty sure it isn't just pouring a bottle of sweet and spicy sauce on leafy greens.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: February 23, 2015, 05:03:42 pm »

The way I typically make peanut sauce is to combine peanut butter with enough cream of tomato soup to reach the desired consistency. Typically, condensed soup makes this easier, because I like thick sauces, so milk does the actual thinning. I'm not sure of volumes, but if I'm remembering correctly it's something like 2 parts condensed soup to 1 part peanut butter to 1 part milk. This I'll pour over some sauteed vegetables - I'd recommend hot peppers and garlic, at minimum. You'll probably like some onion in there, too. If you want some extra texture, crush some roasted peanuts (not too much; you want a range of piece sizes) and cook those with the vegetables before adding the sauce. You can use flavored peanuts for this; last time I did it they were some sort of caramel peanuts and that worked out pretty well.

Can't run any tests for you, as one of my roommates this year is deathly allergic to peanuts, so you'll have to experiment. It's not too easy to mess up, though - just make sure you have extra milk and extra peanut butter on hand to do consistency control after everything's combined.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:38 pm »

I was darling around and I found something I want to make but not sure what recipe to go with
Bread stuffed with meat and cheese and baked.
Sounds much better than a normal sandwich
Anybody know a good recipe for this?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 23, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

I was darling around and I found something I want to make but not sure what recipe to go with
Sounds like meatbread.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 23, 2015, 05:26:59 pm »

Sounds like meatbread.
Ya
Meat stuffed bread

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 23, 2015, 05:50:58 pm »

I cooked this evening! I made some Teriyaki Chicken with pointed peppers and mangetouts, served with some noodles.
Picture time!
Spoiler: Food! (click to show/hide)

I'm too lazy right now but if anyone wants the recipe translated just say so.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:12 pm »

In case you didn't realise, that was also a link to a recipce or two.

I cooked this evening! I made some Teriyaki Chicken with pointed peppers and mangetouts, served with some noodles.
Picture time!
Spoiler: Food! (click to show/hide)

I'm too lazy right now but if anyone wants the recipe translated just say so.

Looks good... But for the garlic, which sadly ruins the whole affair.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 23, 2015, 05:57:11 pm »

I did not
Thank you
Sorry if that last post came across as snappy...

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: February 23, 2015, 08:25:19 pm »

Great success! I made this stuff, with smaller quantites, and put it on a chicken breast from the halal butcher down the street over steamed brown rice. The weakest link in this one was probably the rice, I didn't do it quite right and it ended up kinda mushy. I need to get myself a rice cooker. The chicken was delicious though, like everything else I've bought there, and the sauce was excellent though I think it could have used a little more curry paste.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: February 23, 2015, 09:29:48 pm »

I had bacon and toast-with-cinnamon on it for breakfast. Delicious.
And then for dinner, Chicken Caseadea! Faaantastish.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:40 pm »

But for the garlic, which sadly ruins the whole affair.
I'm not sure if you understand how cooking works. Unless you're a vampire, in which case I apologize for my cultural insensitivity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 334