Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552744 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2280 on: February 03, 2015, 03:27:06 pm »

Yeah, volume ounces. American measuring cups have them printed on the sides. It doesn't matter if it's fluid or solid, because it's not weight. Americans don't usually use kitchen scales: everything is measured in volume only. Makes recipes much simpler, but confuses the hell out of Europeans.

Also: oh dear lord, buchty... Buchty s tvarohem..... *drooool* You can get them at the supermarket and whatnot, but it's never the same as fresh-baked.

In other news, I just got home from my dinner of gulaš and beer and I feel very satisfied. Mňamňamňam...

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 03, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

Eh, I meant volume ounces and weight ounces, apparently. Thanks, anyway.

On the subject of dumplings: pelmeni! You can eat them! With smetana, even! You can freeze them to last longer in the cold Russian wastes! You can put the resulting frozen pelmeni in a sack and use it to defend yourself from the local polar bears! Then make more pelmeni from their meat! All you need is love flour, salt and eggs! Possibly some pepper and an onion! Well, maybe also a laurel leaf for the water.

Sappho, do the Czechs have smetana?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 03, 2015, 03:42:09 pm »

Duuuuuuh. One of the classical Czech dishes is based on a sauce made of smetana.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2283 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:01 pm »

Eh, I meant volume ounces and weight ounces, apparently. Thanks, anyway.

On the subject of dumplings: pelmeni! You can eat them! With smetana, even! You can freeze them to last longer in the cold Russian wastes! You can put the resulting frozen pelmeni in a sack and use it to defend yourself from the local polar bears! Then make more pelmeni from their meat! All you need is love flour, salt and eggs! Possibly some pepper and an onion! Well, maybe also a laurel leaf for the water.

Well, in Czech smetana = cream. There are many different kinds. To which are you referring? Whipped? Sour? Coffee? : )

For the measurements, as a general rule, American recipes are *always* in volume. They are never in weight. So if you're ever unsure, just assume it's volume. Also, be careful to remember that a "cup" is an actual measurement. It's not just a random cup from the kitchen, as some of my friends have wrongly thought (and their banana bread did not turn out well!). It's roughly 235 ml, if you aren't lucky enough to have an American set of measuring cups.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 03, 2015, 03:57:20 pm »

Isn't there a word in English for smetana, like "sour cream"?
I also approve and promote the consumption of pelmeni.

I have found a noooiiice recipe I though I'd like to share.
You'll need:
Rice, cheese (hard or semi-hard cheeses will do), eggs, salt;
Frying pan, some kind of pot to boil water, grater

You do what you usually do to cook rice: boil water, put some salt there, add rice, boil rice.
Then you get cheese and process it with grater. Then you mix cheese and boiled rice and eggs. I never measured exact proportions, I made somewhat 1:1 for cheese to rice. Eggs are added in amount no less than one, any number you think is appropriate. Then you put this mass on the frying pan in small portions, making small rounds. You fry those until they are encrusted with tasty-looking crust.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2285 on: February 03, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »

sour cream = kyselá smetana

I don't know which kind of smetana you mean. There are various types.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »

LOL...this is actually similar to what I was told about how my family would make dumplings in the old days (near Saratov, and later eastern Montana). If they came into posession of some meat in the latter half of the year, they made a crapload of dumplings then stuck them outside to freeze solid. Then during the winter, they'd just hack off a chunk and boil it for dinner. And yes, often eaten with sour cream.

Though for the most part, Volga German dumplings were more like the Central European non-filled dumplings, things like rivvel (bread-crumb dumplings) and kartoffel knodel (potato dumplings). Though there is a strawberry filled dumpling, eben glace. (Watching as Sheb and other Germans cringe at the Volga German spellings...)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:16:27 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »

Oh yeah "buchty na pare" are sweet filled dumplings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know how would I describe them, probably steamed dumplings with sweet filling? They are pretty different from "buchty" (these are from yeast dough and baked with sweet filling).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that... poppy seed? Because we have those here but I've not seen them sprinkled with anything in my entire life.

Oh yes, it's gooood stuff. Mix poppy seed and sugar, butter it up and you are ready for some buchty :). You can also use cocoa, plain sugar or crushed nuts as topping.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 03, 2015, 05:05:54 pm »

I don't give a crap, I'm a Belgian who learned whatever German I know in Austria.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 04, 2015, 08:26:24 am »

It's my dad's birthday today, and so he told me to go wild.

Spoiler:  Going wild. (click to show/hide)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 05, 2015, 12:43:24 am »

It's my dad's birthday today, and so he told me to go wild.

Spoiler:  Going wild. (click to show/hide)
>_>
I want

Also it has been at least 9-10 years since I've had a genuine sweet roll of that sort, it was some sort of Japanese dessert roll and they were delicious
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 05, 2015, 08:51:35 am »

Steamed custard buns are best dessert!

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 05, 2015, 10:41:41 am »

After work i'm making red beans and rice, which is super simple and cheap (feeding three people for about ten dollars)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 05, 2015, 11:07:20 am »

I don't give a crap, I'm a Belgian who learned whatever German I know in Austria.
DÖH. >_<

All I know is that when some of the Volga German communities were repatriated to Germany after reunification, most of them had to go learn German because the Volga dialect is nearly incomprehensible to mainstream Germans. It's the Scottish (or maybe Geordie) of German.  :P

I think I'm gonna make either panang curry, chicken achari or sausage w/ mushroom spaetzle for dinner. Haven't decided which yet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 07, 2015, 10:47:24 am »

...Yeah, that ain't the world's most appetizing picture, but it was delicious.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 334