Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552635 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2265 on: February 02, 2015, 03:15:01 pm »

Depends on the type of dumplings. I highly recommend central European (Czech or German are the ones I have experience with) potato dumplings. Goes best with goulash, but goes well with many things.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: February 02, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »

But Sappho, I don't even know what a dutch oven is.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:43 pm »

I'm not a good answer, because I eat almost as much rice as an Asian, often like majikero described -- just tossing a piece of something into it for flavor. Rice with tonkatsu sauce is something I can eat in large quantities. Or splashed with ponzu. As an alternate source of carbs, I'd recommend sweet potatoes. Rich in a lot of vitamins, versatile, yummy and cheap (depending on where you live).

As for dumplings, I think every culture has worked out the idea of "food wrapped in small pouches of dough".  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2268 on: February 02, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »

Central European dumplings aren't stuff wrapped in dough. They're logs of boiled dough (either bread dough or potato dough). Then you slice them up and serve them with stewed cabbage and some kind of meat with lots of sauce. They can go well with vegetarian dishes too, but you need the sauce.

They're also pretty easy to make (though it takes practice to make them really well): http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/other-side-dish/czech-potato-dumplings.html (You can skip the last step of "roasting" - never heard of that. Just boil them, slice them up, and serve with moist food.)

You can buy the logs pre-made in supermarkets here. There are also some made of regular bread dough, which are lighter and soak up more liquid, but they're not nearly as yummy as the potato ones.

Those are bread dumplings with goulash, and fried potato pancakes in between the slices of dumpling. Ohhhhh man I'm suddenly so hungry... Wonder if the restaurant down the street is still open...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 04:22:46 pm by Sappho »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: February 02, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

Augh, that's just cruel. Damn knedliky, goulash and svickova with them made me gain weight despite walking uphill all day every day for a week in 30+ degrees Celsius.

Also, re: dumplings in Central Europe, or at least in the land of cannot into space, we have far more compact potato/flour dumplings, also without filling that are deliciously elastic and work great both savory and sweet and dumplings made of white cheese of all things.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: February 02, 2015, 04:52:35 pm »

But Sappho, I don't even know what a dutch oven is.
basically an extra large pit. Often cast iron but not all. Ours is just stainless steel.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: February 02, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »

True, I had forgotten about Czech potato "dumplings". That kind of threw me when I was there, because I was expecting something like pierogi (which is the Eastern European "food wrapped in a pouch of dough")  :P

Italians have ravioli and tortellini and then they have gnocchi, which are more like the Central European thing of "chunk of dough with no filling".

Chinese have boatloads of types of filled dumplings, and then stuff like mantou for the non-filled dumplings.

And dammit Sappho, now I'm craving goulash and paprika chicken.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: February 02, 2015, 05:40:33 pm »

I blame all of you.

Someone brought home dumplings and now I'm eating a bowl of rice.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: February 02, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

German dumplings are called Klöße (singular is Kloß) - they range in size from tiny (Markklößchen for example, which translates as 'small bone marrow dumplings' and which are the only tasty part of the standard Rhinelandian pre-main course soup) to huge (e.g. Serviettenknödel, translates as 'napkin dumpling' and is usually served in slices) and can even serve as dessert (e.g. Hefeklöße, 'yeast dumplings', of which there are lots of different variations. The one with the funniest name probably is the Dampfnudel, 'steam noodle', which may be used as a light insult. Be careful not to put Germknödel in this section - they're Bavarian, not German :P )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: February 02, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »

German dumplings are called Klöße (singular is Kloß) - they range in size from tiny (Markklößchen for example, which translates as 'small bone marrow dumplings' and which are the only tasty part of the standard Rhinelandian pre-main course soup) to huge (e.g. Serviettenknödel, translates as 'napkin dumpling' and is usually served in slices) and can even serve as dessert (e.g. Hefeklöße, 'yeast dumplings', of which there are lots of different variations. The one with the funniest name probably is the Dampfnudel, 'steam noodle', which may be used as a light insult. Be careful not to put Germknödel in this section - they're Bavarian, not German :P )
They're still pretty close:P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2275 on: February 03, 2015, 01:47:10 am »

There are actually filled dumplings here, but they're usually for dessert. You can buy bags of them frozen and just steam them into deliciousness. Usually filled with fruit or tvaroh... Aw man. I'm gonna have to hit a restaurant after work today and get some goulash or something. It's been a while...

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: February 03, 2015, 01:11:03 pm »

Oh yeah "buchty na pare" are sweet filled dumplings.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't even know how would I describe them, probably steamed dumplings with sweet filling? They are pretty different from "buchty" (these are from yeast dough and baked with sweet filling).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:15:00 pm by aenri »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:33 pm »

Oh yeah "buchty na pare" are sweet filled dumplings.

I don't even know how would I describe them, probably steamed dumplings with sweet filling? They are pretty different from "buchty" (these are from yeast dough and baked with sweet filling).

Is that... poppy seed? Because we have those here but I've not seen them sprinkled with anything in my entire life.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: February 03, 2015, 02:53:11 pm »

I need some advice from a professional 'Murrican.
If a guy says that a recipe requires

Quote from: guy
12oz water
[...]
18oz flour

Is that fluid ounces or solid ounces? Is the water measured in fluid ounces and the flour in solid ones?

halp
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: February 03, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:16:06 am by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 334