Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552617 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2250 on: January 31, 2015, 11:41:15 am »

Try this!. We've had success with this recipe in the past, it takes a bit of prep though.
*looks at the prep time*

:-\

I also lack a Dutch oven and few of the other things needed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: February 01, 2015, 02:50:46 pm »

Cheesy Ramen:

2 cups milk (approx)
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp potassium citrate
2 packages chicken ramen
1/2 tsp lemon juice (approx)
1/2 cup cheese
Hot sauce and garlic to taste

Combine the milk, butter, and potassium citrate over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, raise the temperature a bit. Meanwhile, take the seasoning packets out of your ramen and crush the noodles. Add both packages of noodles and one package of seasoning to the pot, followed by several drops of lemon juice, as well as any seasonings you want (such as the hot sauce and garlic mentioned above). You won't be using the other package of seasoning in this meal, so you can save it for later. Stir constantly. Once the noodles are done and the sauce is very thick, pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in your cheese.

The potassium citrate is critical - it will keep the milk from scalding or setting into curds, and will allow the cheese to melt smoothly.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: February 01, 2015, 04:21:05 pm »

Oh god, I am never going to eat bean and cheese burritos ever again in my life.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: February 01, 2015, 05:14:51 pm »

Kalua pork at home

Tools:
Crock pot
Something the shred the meat

Ingredients:
Pork roast
Hawaiian salt seasoning
Liquid smoke

Process:
Rub salt seasoning and liquid smoke all over the exterior of the pork roast
Set in the crock pot on a medium heat
Let cook for 12 hours, after about 4 it should be boiling in it's own jucies.
At 12 hours the pot should be about half-3/4 full of boiling pork juices
Carefully turn over to other side.
Let simer for 4-6 hours
Shred, at this point you should be able to poke it and have it fall apart

Tiss delicious
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: February 02, 2015, 05:15:25 am »

Akura, bread making is easy, I do it all the time. Looking at your pic, it's a bit hard to tell, but I'd hazard either too little water, or not enough kneading. Also, when you put it on the pan, if you don't have a loaf tin, try and fold or roll the dough such that the skin is under tension, as it will help it hold its shape better.

Also, strangest food experience for me? Dog. Pretty tasty actually, like pork, but... beefier? Ugly though.

Also had frog (meh), snails (meh), kangaroo (good), horse (good), emu (great), possum (ehhh), crocodile (meh), and a variety of strange Japanese sushi dishes, like sea urchin ( :( ).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: February 02, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »

strangest food experiences?
Lets see
hmmmm
probably this morning, not because it tasted funny (I acctualy couldn't taste it) but because the special ingredient.
Blue berry muffins this morning, that had termites baked into them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
that and un godly amounts of sushi
the strangest one from the all you can eat sushi place I got wasn't even sushi (ok its tied with sushi) was small shrimp dumplings that tasted very very strange
(tied with 'america rolls' which were tempora shrimp, tuna, rice, seaweed, (eel?), and some really small orange eggs (I don't know what animal they were from)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: February 02, 2015, 02:28:37 pm »

The small orange things in sushi is crab eggs I think.

Anyways, what does the non-rice eating animals barbarians people eat as a meal? I'm trying to cut back on my rice intake which makes me want to eat bread but that kinda defeats the purpose of reducing my rice.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: February 02, 2015, 02:29:35 pm »

Pasta, which can be prepared with exactly the same things as rice >______________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2258 on: February 02, 2015, 02:32:41 pm »

And potatoes, which are delicious done right. And dumplings and such. And maize-based products.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: February 02, 2015, 02:37:23 pm »

I can understand potatoes and corns but dumplings? Those things are very much Asian that its a sin not to eat it with rice.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: February 02, 2015, 02:40:07 pm »

They're also European, depending on how you make 'em.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 02, 2015, 02:43:48 pm »

The small orange things in sushi is crab eggs I think.

Anyways, what does the non-rice eating animals barbarians people eat as a meal? I'm trying to cut back on my rice intake which makes me want to eat bread but that kinda defeats the purpose of reducing my rice.

Why're you trying to cut back on rice? If it's for health reasons I'd say replace the rice with vegetables. If it's for variety reasons - potatoes, bread, pasta, oats, corn, etc.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 02, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »

Those things are not remotely dumpling like except for the Russian one which is Chinese in origin.

As for my reasons, I'm trying to cut back on pretty much pure calorie intake. Don't underestimate how much an Asian can eat rice. I eat rice with a side flavoring of meat. Not meat as a side dish but the meat pretty much becomes flavor so I can shovel the rice down my throat.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2263 on: February 02, 2015, 03:04:48 pm »

Aren't dumplings a moderately standard Western thing with stews and stuff? If not, they should be.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:05 pm »

Then those things, whatever they are, are alternatives to rice :P

But yeah if you're looking for things that don't have grain then your best bet would probably be vegetables, stewed or fried (with meat, if you want, but not too much since it's pretty calorie-dense too). Celery, carrots, and onion go well together, are low-calorie, and occupy a lot of bulk.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 334