Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552592 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1140 on: April 24, 2014, 10:22:28 am »

You know what bugs me? Just because of the neighbours to the south, half of the recipes I find use imperial measurements, and I constantly have to convert amounts because all our food labels use metric. Same with cooking temperatures.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: April 24, 2014, 10:27:32 am »

Actually, at 400°C, you're still below the fire point of some oils. You could cook with them, if you don't mind the toxic by-products, smoke and occasional small flame.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1142 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:30 am »

I would imagine any supermarket would carry all of those things. They're pretty normal, standard veggies. Good luck!

#thirdworldproblems

I actually don't know what to blame (i.e. I'm not actually in an entirely third world country), but I've never seen zucchini or eggplant for sale fresh. It sucks.

Ah, sorry. I tend to assume that most of the posters on here are living in the USA, even though I don't myself. Actually, the supermarkets here don't tend to carry much of those vegetables fresh, either, but there are really nice Vietnamese markets all over the place that usually have just about everything. So that's lucky! Anyway, for making pasta sauce, you can pretty much use any veggies you want, or meat if you're into that. The only rules, really, are to put the stuff in the oil that takes the longest to cook first, then add the other things in order of how much time they need in the oil. Anything that will soak up oil goes last, regardless of how long it takes to cook. Then add chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes or whatever you can get along with whatever spices you want to use, bring it to a boil, and simmer it as long as you can, the bare minimum being the time it takes for everything to be cooked. And ta-da! Pasta sauce!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: April 24, 2014, 10:58:26 am »

I always love how available vietnamese food is in the Czech Republic. Huzzay for Communism!

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:55 am »

I always love how available vietnamese food is in the Czech Republic. Huzzay for Communism!

...wat?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:54 am »

From what my stepmom told me, large number of Vietnamese came to Czechoslovakia in communist time in the name of "Friendship of the people".

Also, I just made a stir-fried rice for my dinner with whatever vegetables I had laying around (zucchini, onions, pickled red cabbage and celeriac). Halfway through, I realized we had run out of soy sauce, so I used teriyaki sauce instead. The result is surprisingly tasty, although the celeriac's taste is a bit too strong and off-flavor. I'm glad I did like a kilo of the stuff.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1146 on: April 24, 2014, 11:50:14 am »

Yup. They had a worker exchange program. If you go to Vietnam, apparently a surprising number of people there can speak Czech. There are loads of Vietnamese immigrants here, and mostly they run various shops with their families. There are two really nice little markets near me with high-quality produce and all kinds of authentic Vietnamese foods at good prices. There are also some good knockoff shops with loads of cheap crap. I buy socks and such at them. : )

Speaking of Asian food, does anyone have a decent vegetarian Kimchi recipe?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:24 am »

Is there such a thing as non-vegetarian kimchi?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »

Is there such a thing as non-vegetarian kimchi?
I'm certain there's a recipe for bacon kimchi out there, somewhere.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1149 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »

Kimchi very often has seafood in it. Depends on the recipe.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:48 pm »

From what my stepmom told me, large number of Vietnamese came to Czechoslovakia in communist time in the name of "Friendship of the people".

Also, I just made a stir-fried rice for my dinner with whatever vegetables I had laying around (zucchini, onions, pickled red cabbage and celeriac). Halfway through, I realized we had run out of soy sauce, so I used teriyaki sauce instead. The result is surprisingly tasty, although the celeriac's taste is a bit too strong and off-flavor. I'm glad I did like a kilo of the stuff.

Oh. I wondered for a while, because most of the Asians here are Vietnamese.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: April 24, 2014, 12:50:03 pm »

Where are you from?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: April 24, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »

Where are you from?

Poland. Same deal, I suppose.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #1153 on: April 25, 2014, 04:36:31 am »

Since tomatoes, potatoes, sugar, chocolate and bananas are from the new world and spices, rice, coffee and tea come from the far east, and salt used to be very expensive, I usually thought that medieval European food must have been quite bland.

But then I thought about it: Wheat, cauliflower, carrots, meat, herbs, dairy, fruit...

And suddenly I realised that vinegar, olive oil, garlic and onions come from Europe.

I really shouldn't have forgotten my lunch at home today. :)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: April 25, 2014, 12:17:28 pm »

Since tomatoes, potatoes, sugar, chocolate and bananas are from the new world and spices, rice, coffee and tea come from the far east, and salt used to be very expensive, I usually thought that medieval European food must have been quite bland.

But then I thought about it: Wheat, cauliflower, carrots, meat, herbs, dairy, fruit...

And suddenly I realised that vinegar, olive oil, garlic and onions come from Europe.

I really shouldn't have forgotten my lunch at home today. :)

Also it's not like medieval Europe was cut off from trade with the Far East. Spices were a thing, but they were expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 334