Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552600 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1155 on: April 25, 2014, 09:48:40 pm »

Also a huge variety of herbs (basil, thyme, dill, fennel, rosemary, etc.) and certain spices (like cumin, juniper and celery powder) were widely available, being actually native to parts of Europe. Cumin in particular was huge during the greek and roman eras, kept on the table like we use pepper, and grew in the Mediterranean.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 25, 2014, 11:11:31 pm »

When you say spice, people think of flavor that can burn your tongue off, not those weird smelling leaves.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 26, 2014, 12:06:47 am »

So... horseradish then?

Also, from the context of DT's post, I'd say he means spice in the more traditional sense; an actual spice, not necessarily something spicy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:08:27 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1158 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:55 am »

So I made a stew. Screw the Northern Hemisphere, it's winter here!

Ingredients: carrot, potato, onion, beef, flour, salt, pepper.

Step 1: Take carrots, potatoes, onions and beef.
Step 2: Peel and chop the carrots and potatoes. The potatoes don't have to be peeled.
Step 3: Peel and chop onions and transfer directly to pot with oil. Add a little salt to draw out the flavour.
Step 4: Make sure the beef is in small chunks. Once the onions are translucent, add it in.
Step 5: Add a little more salt, a generous quantity of black pepper, and herbs of your choice.
Step 6: Once the beef is browned, add potatoes and carrots.
Step 7: Cook for a few minutes, then coat with a handful of flour, cook for 30 seconds, and cover with boiling water.
Step 8: For optimal results, cook for a couple of hours over low heat. For excellent but faster results, cook for an hour over medium heat. For good and fast results, cook for 30-40 minutes over high-ish heat, stirring regularly.
Step 9: Serve hot.

Your results may vary. The cooking maestri may have better ideas.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1159 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »

What distinguishes a soup from a stew?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 09, 2014, 06:01:14 pm »

Soup is clearer and runnier I guess. Tho the spring soup my mother makes is both thick and not exactly clear. It's stilly fuckin' tasty though.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 09, 2014, 06:26:30 pm »

I tend to think of soup as hot liquid (yes, I know there are such things as cold soups) with food added, while stew is cooked food plus the liquid it was cooked in (especially meat or starchy vegetables, because the proteins, fats and/or starches they release while cooking thicken the liquid). If you cook potatoes then add them to a broth, that's a potato soup. If you cook the potatoes in the broth (which generally takes a lot longer time and lower heat), then you get a potato stew.

Another test I've heard is "If you need a bowl, it's a soup. If you could eat it off a plate, it's a stew."  ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1162 on: May 10, 2014, 02:37:38 am »

I don't know that I agree with that definition. I never cook vegetables before adding them to soups. At least once or twice a week I make a soup with onion/leek/spring onion, carrot, daikon radish, fresh chili, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and noodles. Everything is cut fresh and cooked in the liquid for half an hour or longer before eating, and there is definitely not much liquid left since the noodles soak most of it up, but there's no way I'd call that a stew. In fact, I've never heard the word "stew" used for anything not containing meat, almost always beef with potatoes.

I do agree that something called a "stew" is more solid than liquid, like gulash. But I think the word really only applies to certain types of food. And certainly a soup is not necessarily something where the food was cooked first and added to the liquid after. I've never made soup that way. There are also things like squash/pumpkin soup, where the vegetables are boiled for a long time then the result is blended to give it a thick consistency without any chunks.

Actually, according to Wikipedia, it's food cooked in liquid for a long time over low heat and served with that liquid, like gravy, and it usually contains the least tender cuts of meat (toughest, containing the most fat) so it's best for long, slow cooking. In fact, it sounds like the definition of gulash. On the other hand, it says soup is made by boiling solid ingredients in a pot until the flavors are extracted - essentially the same thing as "stew" but without the note on it being servable on a plate. I think it comes down more to the types of ingredients used and the ratio of solid to liquid, though even something more solid than liquid could be called soup depending on what's in it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 10, 2014, 04:15:37 am »

I don't know that I agree with that definition.

Likewise; for me, I love soup AND stew because both are everything-in-one-pot meals. Since my soups are usually pretty thick, I can't divide by that... so I generally categorize it by the size of the ingredients in the liquid; soup I'll shred up into small chunks (or cook until it falls apart) to yield a pretty even mix, while stew will have large chunks of beef/potato/etc. in a gravy.

On that note, one of my favourite soups;

1 carrot, chopped as fine as you can be bothered.
2 leeks, split then sliced.
Bacon... I'm not sure of actual amount, I just wing it, so let's say 1/2-1/3 a cup, diced.
1/3-1/2 a bulb of garlic (thats... 3-4 cloves, I guess?)
Salt to taste.
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced into <1 cm cubes.
2-3 twigs of thyme.
2 cups of chicken stock.
1 cup combined of frozen peas and corn.

Fry off everything upto and including the garlic in some butter. Once the leeks are just starting to colour, add potato, stock, thyme, and cook for the next 2-3 hours (if necessary, add a little extra liquid). Then, remove the thyme stalks (strip off any leaves, just get rid of the woody bits) and mash/blend the soup to an even consistency. Add the peas, corn, and pepper to taste (if it needs liquid at this stage, milk or cream works best, but water's fine), and then serve with crusty white bread.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 10, 2014, 07:20:31 am »

Since tomatoes, potatoes, sugar, chocolate and bananas

I started reading this and thought it was a recipe. "tomatoes, sugar AND chocolate? okthen.jpg"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:03 am »

Since tomatoes, potatoes, sugar, chocolate and bananas

I started reading this and thought it was a recipe. "tomatoes, sugar AND chocolate? okthen.jpg"
Challenge accepted! Once I get back to Bonn (and my hands on some good tomatoes), I'll be making tomaclate sauce.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 10, 2014, 10:51:42 am »

Chocolate cake actually tastes pretty good with a skinned and puree'd tomato thrown in. A buddy has a recipe that involves doing that for some reason. And, of course, you can always do something with a mole sauce, which I think would work fine with tomatoes and sugar.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Arguing Soumantics
« Reply #1167 on: May 14, 2014, 03:44:42 am »

Who thought that simple bread, cheese, tomato and pepper sandwiches would be so tasty.
Although I keep adding too much pepper which results in my tongue burning for half an hour, but it's worth it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1168 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:59 am »

Cheese and tomato add 100% extra awesome to basically any cold dish. Cheese adds 50-100% awesome to any dish by itself.

Re: soumantics, what I made was definitely a stew, on account of half the water being boiled off. I believe you can make a soup according to the same recipe, just with more water, but my version is stew.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 03:48:37 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:14 am »

Slowcooked a large lump of bacon joint in coke yesterday.

You could say it's turned out well.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 334