Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552604 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Food Thread: Fry Me a River
« Reply #1110 on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:12 am »

By request, the pasta sauce I made last night. If you have a larger pan than me, you can make more, of course:

1/2 medium-sized eggplant, salted and cubed
1/2 zucchini, sliced very thin
1/2 red pepper, cut into small pieces
2-3 white or brown mushrooms, sliced thin
1 yellow onion, sliced very thin
3-4 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped small
Handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 can of chopped plum tomatoes (or fresh if you have them, boiled with skins removed)
Black pepper and paprika (I prefer spicy)

Sautee the onion and zucchini in the olive oil until everything is getting soft. Next, add the garlic and red pepper. When that is getting soft too, add the eggplant, mushrooms, and basil. The eggplant and mushrooms will soak up all the oil; try to sautee a bit without letting it burn, to get the flavor in there. Then, dump in the can of tomatoes with some extra water, and the pepper and paprika. Bring to a boil, cover, simmer for... as long as you can stand it. The eggplant must be cooked thoroughly before you eat the sauce. I ended up simmering for well over an hour before I was satisfied. Longer is better in this case.

If you are a big salt user, feel free to add salt to the sauce. But I find it tastes great without, and it's far healthier this way.

Make pasta, add sauce, enjoy.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1111 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:49 am »

Thanks, it looks delicious. I'll see if I can make this, but I'm not sure I can get all of the ingredients!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1112 on: April 22, 2014, 02:04:09 am »

I would imagine any supermarket would carry all of those things. They're pretty normal, standard veggies. Good luck!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 22, 2014, 08:59:22 am »

No ill will to the late Julia Child, but three eggs is a little too much for one omelette  :o Though she only used two on the French Chef.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 22, 2014, 04:40:29 pm »

Marmite get!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 22, 2014, 05:27:09 pm »

I'm currently making crock pot ribs. This has never turned out badly.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 22, 2014, 06:17:30 pm »

Soo about cheeses!

All I know about cheese is that it melts when heated. I noticed that different cheeses and different brands of the same cheese melts differently.

I want the melty, creamy kind that I can put in won-ton wrappers and fry it or the ones you put in soup and make it creamy.

Anyone care to enlighten me on the complexity of cheeses?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »

Monterey Jack is a very good place to start, although most cheese, if it melts at all (some types, typically the harder ones, don't), will be stringy unless you do things to it. Combining it with an equal amount of cream cheese and a touch of milk as you melt it should be helpful, or else combining it with starch, such as flour (this is how processed cheeses do it - see Velveeta and the like).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:28 pm »

All this time, the cheeses I grew up with is processed cheese? It was Kraft brand of cheese.

I've been looking for something similar for years and the closest I got is American cheese but those things come in slices.

I'll try Velveeta.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »

Yep, that was processed cheese. Look for things labelled "process cheese food", "processed cheese product", or "processed cheese". You can also check the ingredients - unprocessed cheeses will typically have just milk, rennet, enzymes, and possibly color (turmeric or annatto). Processed cheeses will have a much more varied list. Here's a Wikipedia article!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 22, 2014, 08:25:46 pm »

Dang Wikipedia hopping. Now I want to make a St. Louis Style pizza.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:54 am »

A few days ago my friends and I were trying to decide on a reward for the winner of a tournament that we were having and the unanimous decision was

A life sized chocolate pony, deep fried, wrapped in bacon, and filled with vanilla ice cream.

Now we just need to make this happen
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1122 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:59 am »

Step one: acquire entire budget of U.S. military on the pretext that all terrorists are diabetic.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 23, 2014, 08:15:27 am »

Why would anyone want to deep-fry chocolate?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 23, 2014, 08:25:30 am »

Because just about anything tastes better deepfried and if this is done properly it would just be ice cream covered in chocolate wrapped in deep fried bacon in the shape of a pony.
But still everything tastes better deep fried.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I give you deep fried oreo.
and if the image doesn't pop up in the spoiler sorry this is my first attempt of putting an image on a post.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 334