Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51919 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2013, 12:34:44 pm »

So...  maybe the harebrained schemes website is getting swamped cause of downloads?
It's Steam distribution, and internet is currently lame on my end.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2013, 12:42:04 pm »

Sweet.  Just got it, and made my dorf brawler named Two Knuckle.  Only good things can come of this.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:57 pm »

Do we have a Shadowrun mod for DF? :D

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2013, 12:52:40 pm »

So...  maybe the harebrained schemes website is getting swamped cause of downloads?
It's Steam distribution, and internet is currently lame on my end.
Oh, I'm downloading from harebrained, not steam.  (I do have the option to get it from Steam though.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »

Been playing for a bit now, I am... not all that impressed to be honest.

Love the setting, love the artwork and the ideas, but the actual gameplay feels sorely lacking (in pretty much every respect, the tactical combat feels flimsy and sort of tacked on. The dialogue while sometimes quite good feels a bit throw-away. The levels while beautiful are just glorified corridoors). Will push through it just to see the story unfold, I love me some cyberpunk after all is said and done.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:56 pm »

I played through for a bit as a rigger and had a lot of fun. However, I just loaded it on my laptop as I have to travel for a few days and I can't decide if I want to make a decker or a street Samurai. One thing is for sure, I love having high Charisma as it really opens up many options in the official campaign. It's very important to have different character types when combat hits. I love rigger, samurai and shaman.

Once again, I would like to point out this isn't a fast paced high budget game. Not sure where everyone keeps getting that impression from, but I have seen a bunch of people disappointed. I think people were expecting an ARPG and not a traditional RPG.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:00 pm »

I played through for a bit as a rigger and had a lot of fun. However, I just loaded it on my laptop as I have to travel for a few days and I can't decide if I want to make a decker or a street Samurai. One thing is for sure, I love having high Charisma as it really opens up many options in the official campaign. It's very important to have different character types when combat hits. I love rigger, samurai and shaman.

Once again, I would like to point out this isn't a fast paced high budget game. Not sure where everyone keeps getting that impression from, but I have seen a bunch of people disappointed. I think people were expecting an ARPG and not a traditional RPG.

Oh I was hoping for a traditional turn based rpg and not an arpg so that is not where the problem lies for me, I just don't feel that it is pulled off very well, I understand it was developed in a very short amount of time and in my opinion it shows, all the ambience is there but in the end it still feels empty.

I am playing a decker at the moment (neuromancer fanboy) but so far I have not found much use for it other than getting some extra loot in some places, will see if it improves later on, I was in fact hoping that the decker would be able to bypass more of the combat elements, why use a gun when you have a cyberdeck?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:08 pm »

Grumble grumble.  Work can not finish soon enough today.   :-\

Only 3 hours left!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:51 pm »

Ah great, came home to find that I downloaded the 'developer's build' version that they put up by accident.  *Keeps it anyways.*  Maybe I'll mess around with it later.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2013, 06:26:16 pm »

Initial impressions:

-So many things I can't tweak. The color customization bars seem locked to the portrait?

-Checkpoint save is indeed annoying, it seems like a cross platform consideration. Shouldn't the game, like, tell you when it's saving so you don't have to guess?

-The writing really sounds like Jordan Weisman, now that I've seen him talk and joke around. It's good, I like where the story is going and expect that is going to be the game's best feature.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-While solid, the game feels like it could use another polish pass. Animation smoothing, timing. Scene changes need to fade in, stuff like that. It's not enough to truly bug me, but it's the kind of thing I think more time would have allowed.

-For whoever said the environments, while beautiful, feel a little sterile, I agree. That said, I don't expect more out of this than I got from the other Shadowrun games. The Sega version had zero interactivity outside of corp buildings for the most part, and the SNES version had what this game has. This is something I have to play a lot more of to judge.

-I can see acres of mod potential in this, and it does color my perception of the final product definitely. I can see why it's being billed as a big selling point. When you realize every environment is hand-crafted, and these guys built 12 hours of content.....you start drooling at the thought of what some truly obsessed fan could produce.

-The absolutely have to facilitate the addition of assets. Either patch it in or work with the community to make it happen. New character portraits, assets, logic and triggers could allow this game to soar to heaven. It's not even the length of the campaign, it's about how many interactions you c an fit in a space, from NPCs to containers to flavor things.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 06:47:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2013, 07:44:47 pm »

This honestly reminds me of ye olde PC RPGs.  In particular one I remember fondly was Septera Core (which I actually can't run anymore because it demands versions of Quicktime that don't exist anymore).  It was fairly generic as far as RPG elements go, the screen and movement virtually identical to Shadowrun Returns.  That is to say, somewhat 'static' and 'sterile' map assets, with very particular clickable items.

In the default campaign, I'd expect this to be a free game, given the quality.  The dialogue is generally incredibly dry and friendly - honestly WAY too friendly for anything you'd expect for this sort of scene.  I walked out of the morgue, encountered a stranger who gave me a gun and a drone, a bum who thanked me for telling him to stop panicking about nothing, a prostitute, a man who asked for help and to pay me for it, and a young woman who gave me fair warning about some gang members in the next street!  Following that, the cops let me into an active crime scene after a little friendly talk, the Mistress of a brothel let a stranger into her girl's room, the bouncer had no problem with me walking into a strange bar armed to the teeth with an active gunbot following, and everyone patiently described exactly what a gun is and how to shoot people.  After that I got a free tour of their secret anti-culture lair, armory, and bootleg medical clinic!

Aside from the downright cordial people who live in the asshole of the slums, there's no real dialogue options.  No matter what you do it either progresses the plot or shuts down a small side-plot.  It's extremely linear in its pushing you from one story element to another (politely talking your way through troublesome contacts, of course) and prevents any amount of free-roam or real side-jobs.

The combat is just about the same lack-luster.  All classes and forms of combat quickly melt down to the same battle - move somewhere, fire gun.  You take your rifle and you stand behind a box and shoot guys, or take your shotgun and stand next to someone and shoot them, or take your magic and stand wherever you want and shoot them with fireballs.  Adding drones doesn't really change it, it just changes how many characters are moving and shooting.  Available options hardly matter - sure you can try and shoot their kneecaps, but it does just as much damage and makes no visible difference to an enemy who can only survive two shots anyways!

Then there's the problem that there's NOTHING free-roam.  I wanted to pick up a step-van, some drones for delivery, and pretend to be a delivery man!  Turns out, you cannot purchase a vehicle, cannot modify a vehicle, cannot purchase civilian drones, cannot lie about your job, cannot try to sneak into a place claiming to be delivery, and cannot make money on a day job.  For that matter you cannot modify weapons or cyberwear so you can't use a smartgun, dual-mags, sniper mods, gun-arms, magnifying eyes, hydraulic legs...  Every item is identical and has one set of stats, so you either get Pistol A or Pistol B, and there's no real balance between them or differences.

As far as being based off a tabletop, pen-and-paper RPG, it fails spectacularly.  But if you enjoy some original grade 90's RPG gameplay, then it's decent.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2013, 07:55:04 pm »

I've been playing it so far, and I've gotten up to the point where you jack in to get some autopsy files/medical records for the first time. I would be still playing it, but after finishing most of the chapter and attempting to jack out the game proceeded to take my character to where he was supposed to be, but the NPC that follows you throughout the chapter didn't go with him. Realizing that due to the checkpoint system, I had to reload to the beginning of the chapter sort of wanted me to take a break. I'm still baffled as to why the developers couldn't implement a traditional saving sy

Overall, I suppose it's a decent game. It starts of slow and quickly picks up, and there was a period of time where I thought things were actually pretty fun. That wore off however, when I realized that most of the combat/mechanics I've seen so far aren't particularly deep, and it'll probably get boring to play as the game goes on. The only thing really spurring me on is the story, which frankly isn't amazing but keeps me somewhat engaged, which is more to say than most games coming out nowadays.

I don't know, but to me this game reminds me of one of those higher-quality games that are released on tablets. (Aren't they "porting" it over to iOS or something?) If this game was developed exclusively as a tablet game, I'd consider it good. But since this is technically a PC game, I find it very shallow and not really deserving of the Shadowrun title.

This is just a baseless claim, but I really feel as if this was intended for tablet-play. It would explain the lack of any real saving system, and why every is so watered down, along with why the UI would probably work great with a tablet. I'd be more willing to cut this game some slack if it had potential for serious modding, but with the developers apparently unable to add custom assets, the most modding that will come of this will probably be a few small notable adventures at most.

I had little to no expectations to this game and never followed it during it's kickstarter process, and I'm not even a gigantic fan of Shadowrun, but I still feel disappointed.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2013, 08:11:41 pm »

I'm still waiting for the game to "open up." Right now it's kind of an linear, episodic detective story with the occasional side thing to do, in the same area. What both SR games did was give you enough space to roam and do things so it felt like a believable world that you're rambling around in. So far, SRR has nailed the aesthetic but I still feel like I'm walking through set pieces more than places to explore.

And yeah, everything is very conversationally which is definitely Weisman's personal style.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm irritated I can't looked at anything about my deck other than 4 stats.

Also getting annoyed that the same three bums seem to occupy every burning oil drum in the city. It's little things like that kind of depress me about games sometimes. Some level designer didn't even bother to rotate the asset 90 degree or something, or just build a unique one. Maybe it's a memory issue for tablets? I don't know. But in most other RPGs, that's a grievous sin of level design.

Bdthemag, you're actually correct, this is was intended to be a tablet game. Which has a lot to do with how it plays and how information is arranged.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:30:27 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:15 pm »

One thing I can say about the game though...  When installing via Steam, it didn't try to install DirectX on my machine AGAIN!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

So far I'm liking it.  Playing an elf face/street samurai with a shotgun.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27