Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51834 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »

Shadowrun Returns

Oohhh my God...  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

This is a dream come true! An 2D turn-based, party-based RPG in the style of the great SNES/Genesis shadowrun games, that captured really well this great universe where magic and tech meet in weird ways.

Let's start throwing massive amount of money in their direction!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:15:53 pm by isitanos »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:05 pm »

My running head-commentary as I read this:

- Wow, that's ballsy of someone to jump all over copyright like that.
- And use the copyrighted images too.
- Wait, it's by the original creator?  Does he even own the copyright still?
- Oh.  He does.
- Christ, this is probably going to be like...4th Ed. or something, in the 2070s, with all the screwed up "lols everyone has a cell phone because it's in the future, and you can hack someone's cyberarm to punch themselves just by thinking about it".  Ugh.
- It's a top-down 2d game?  Well, that worked out pretty well for the console stuff, even if it was a little dated.
- Turn-based?  Seriously?  So it's, what, a Fallout-like-engine Shadowrun game?  Well, that makes it more playable than the console based ones already, even if I would have preferred RT+P.
- They're going back to 2050?   D:  :frogsiren:

Okay yeah.  I am pleased, and this will be the first kickstarter I donate to.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:59 pm »

Possibly me as well. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:50:44 pm »

Man... this makes me wish I'd played Shadowrun back in my tabletop days. I remember picking up one of the books, crying manly tears at the amount of content and putting it down knowing I'd never have the mental faculties to run it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:54:51 pm »

Huh. I ran the tabletop version but never could get into the SNES game.

We had some good times with the tabletop version, although it was often a comedy of errors. (Actually that describes most of our RPG sessions...RIFTS, Shadowrun, Marvel Super Heroes, Ars Magica...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

I don't like their reward schemes though.  I get special powers and doc wagons if I donate more money?  I don't want to play with cheats, so I guess I'm donating the minimum.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »

The SNES game was great, IF you interpreted it as being an in-universe game.  It was the equivalent of a pulp action game in the setting, getting all the details wrong but not caring, throwing it all to the wind for a fun ride.  (You were a shaman, AND a decker, AND you had some other cyber upgrades I think.  And a hot fox-shaman girlfriend.)  Much like movies and video games about real military or paramilitary or police or mercenary organizations get it all horribly wrong but still put on a good show...yeah, this game about shadowrunning does that too, without all the annoying paperwork that would really come with it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »

Kudos to the OP for focusing on the need for a thread like this, like a smart-gun linked Panther Assault Cannon.

Ditto. The original creator? There is no way I can stop myself from chipping in.

Rarely do I say anymore that something is a dream come true, because the statement usually comes back to haunt me. But I feel confident saying FUCK YEAH, MAGIC IS REEAAAAALLLLL!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »

can I just send him my atm card?

seriously, this is one of the only things I have always wanted and never thought I would see the day. Obviously the world will end in December now, if only to keep me from playing this.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:40:50 pm »

I don't think so. Judging by the game description, you will be glued to the computer as your wife births an elf and a dragon hovers over Tokyo.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:38 pm »

I don't have the same confidence that I do in Wasteland 2 for this, but backed anyway, since I love Shadowrun.
I don't like their reward schemes though.  I get special powers and doc wagons if I donate more money?  I don't want to play with cheats, so I guess I'm donating the minimum.
You could always choose a lower reward level... or, it's probably going to be a code that you activate in the game, so you could just skip it. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:34 pm »

I don't have the same confidence that I do in Wasteland 2 for this, but backed anyway, since I love Shadowrun.
You could always choose a lower reward level... or, it's probably going to be a code that you activate in the game, so you could just skip it. But yeah, I know what you mean.

Ah, if its a code activation thing then that would be nice.  I've sent them a message asking if it can be disabled or not activated, but they are probably overwhelmed with messages right now, so I'm not expecting a reply soon.  :)

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »

Badly want, and I reckon the special ability or whatever could easily wind up something flavorful as opposed to some kinda "pay for power" thing.  The Doc Wagon, eh, surely that'll come up as it does anyhow through the course of the game.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »

Do comment about that on the kickstarter page, they might add something to the reward and ensure you can play without the bonus if you don't want it (I really doubt they'd force that upon you, honestly, but better make sure).

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 04:37:22 pm »

I'm donating to this. Hell yes.

I played the crap out of the SNES version of Shadowrun back in the day. Still probably have the cartridge, somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27