Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51904 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:35 am »

I miss the opportunity to jack into random matrix system to go and download datanode for some extra buck. The non-persistance of the runners hits me too, i genesis version i could hire a runner lifelong that i could equip myself, level his stat etc, here? non-existant, take your pick and live with it....

Dont get me wrong its a good game, sagle it falls short in some spaces.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2013, 09:03:35 am »

Runners actually are persistent. Hired a mage for one run, came back later to rehire him and he'd picked up a new spell.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2013, 09:27:06 am »

Runners actually are persistent. Hired a mage for one run, came back later to rehire him and he'd picked up a new spell.
Wich is are preset before mission, i dont think its because you hired him before, in fact all runners are *refreshed-re-equip* using a preset loadout at certain milestone with gear pre-written at said milestone.

And in my french mind this is overly explaining something simple....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2013, 10:03:50 am »

No, I hear you cluckin' big chicken. That makes sense, they're power-balanced based on where you are in the story.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2013, 11:35:59 am »

Hehe, I love some of the details in the game.  Like the "PANCAKES BIGGER THAN YOUR FRAGGIN HEAD" sign.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2013, 03:53:23 pm »

So, I think I am pretty far in, as I am fighting
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and I killed all enemies. And I am stuck in turnbased mode. 2 neutrals in the room I can't interact with and nothing else I could do. I had this before, and there it took some time but then a new critter burst through some wall. Here...not.

So, stuck. Which is pretty annoying.

Edit:
I restarted the fight and made sure not to win until all the hidden enemies had appeared. Not sure if that was the problem though, as the thing that was missing was the neutral person running somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 05:08:43 pm by Rince Wind »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2013, 05:36:05 pm »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2013, 11:59:22 pm »

I am pretty disappointed with the campaign as some of people, not enough exploration and mission-based maps remind me of Fallout Tactics which is not a good thing.

However I love the writing, the atmosphere and while I disagree with some character stats and skills, I like it as a whole.

I am going to see if it's possible to change it to be more action point-based. The main goal is to see how easy it is to change step length per action point and to make guns require more AP to shoot. I think making a step or two per AP, and tying AP amount to base + quickness/2 or something should bring it closer to what I want to see (and giving different guns different AP costs should make them more diverse).

Not sure how it will work with character import (and is it even possible to change stats/AP like that), we'll see :).

Making crafting is already possible. I've tried to make it fallout-2 style (where you can upgrade some guns to better versions at merchant) and stuff like that should have been in main campaign, but I do not complain :).

I've tried a few different interesting options for gameplay, including adding PDA and cellphone, random encounters and item drop, but I don't see myself writing a story because I have no experience with that. Maybe I will be able to find someone who can write a plot or something, future will tell :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2013, 12:30:27 am »

So from what I am getting from everyone...

This isn't a solid 7... it is a weak 8. Which is a far worse outcome.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2013, 12:52:31 am »

Well, played it a bit, but I get to a mission where you gotta rescue a dude and then upon going to a room next to him after the battle I got boxed in by some of the guys I saved mid-fight. Wat. /ragequit

Not exactly an easy fight either on the hardest mode. Sigh. And of course, would have to restart the entire mission, can't just go back to just after the fight. /cry
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2013, 12:57:43 am »

I am pretty disappointed with the campaign as some of people, not enough exploration and mission-based maps remind me of Fallout Tactics which is not a good thing.

However I love the writing, the atmosphere and while I disagree with some character stats and skills, I like it as a whole.

I am going to see if it's possible to change it to be more action point-based. The main goal is to see how easy it is to change step length per action point and to make guns require more AP to shoot. I think making a step or two per AP, and tying AP amount to base + quickness/2 or something should bring it closer to what I want to see (and giving different guns different AP costs should make them more diverse).

Not sure how it will work with character import (and is it even possible to change stats/AP like that), we'll see :).

Making crafting is already possible. I've tried to make it fallout-2 style (where you can upgrade some guns to better versions at merchant) and stuff like that should have been in main campaign, but I do not complain :).

I've tried a few different interesting options for gameplay, including adding PDA and cellphone, random encounters and item drop, but I don't see myself writing a story because I have no experience with that. Maybe I will be able to find someone who can write a plot or something, future will tell :).
Hell fallout tactic had a mod once turning it into a real RPG map theme thingy with towns revisitable dungeon and the like. Hope something similar comes out in user content.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:02 am »

Well the linear or rather the constrained aspect of the game still could have worked had the game felt like it was built around it. Yet its game elements lends itself to bigger fields and more tactical choices.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2013, 07:24:23 am »

A few pros and cons...

Pros:

I LOVE the sound track, including the little riffs of the original SNES songs.
I LOVE the atmosphere, they've really made each map feel very cyberpunky.
The writing is VERY good - it really sucked me in.
I LOVE the graphical style they've gone for.

Cons:

It really is a very short game, 12 hours seems to be around what I've completed it in.
It's very linear, there are some choices to affect certain things but ultimately there's only one real path to completion.
I would have liked to have seen a little more in the way of things to do other than following the 'rails'.

Overall, it's a superb game for it's short development time and it's very fun to play. I don't think I'll go straight back for another play through of the main storyline as there's not enough in the way of branches to tempt me. Hopefully, the modding community will create some longer stories and perhaps even some new graphical content, or even new things to do, that will enhance the experience further.

Despite it's length, it's still one of the best RPG stories I've played for a long time!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2013, 11:05:59 am »

Anybody have any recommendations for user missions?  I tried browsing the steam workshop, but there wasn't much there.  I figure maybe their are some available for download elsewhere?

Edit:  Also its dumb that I can bring along an expert decker to a mission but I apparently can't use her actually open a door that requires one level of decking.  I hope that isn't a limitation of the engine, because it seems pretty silly.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 01:03:17 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2013, 05:51:03 pm »

Well, map editor is kinda robust, yet clunky.

For example, I've made this small subway station in under 5 minutes:

However I spent like 15 minutes trying to find a floor for "rails", and yet it does not look like rails, so I will probably have to sprite and add my own "railroad" floor tile.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27