Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51915 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:52 am »

RPS is consistently inconsistent these days. Something is happening over there with the editor on duty and the writing has been reflecting it.

They say the writing can be schlocky but then later say the writing is brilliant literature. They say it's not a terribly deep rpg and then say it has almost too many options. They say it's not amazing but then they say how needed it was. They say you will be disappointed that the story is so short but then they say you will need to play it twice. There are even more examples. I'm not complaining since everything is fair and overall, if you make it to the end of the article they make it clear the game is good and speak of how important it is to pc gaming, but it's hard to read through a lot of negativity without balance for the first half of the article.

On a side note, much of the levity and tongue in cheek of RPS is gone lately. I wonder if massive success impacted the fun atmosphere? Or perhaps it's due to Jim making his own(dreary, pointless) game? I don't know.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2013, 07:03:29 am »

I just checked in to read a bit about Shadowrun Returns -- but I have to agree about RPS. Something seems a little odd there. I used to like them a lot, but it seems like there are more and more sketchy articles that aren't really that good, and could've done with a very healthy dose of editing. I've actually seen one or two entries that I couldn't even really figure out what they were trying to say exactly with. It was almost like it was just an un-checked 3 AM rambling being posted.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2013, 08:56:51 am »

I'll third the motion on RPS - it's really taken a dive lately, there was even a bit of an 'OMG THIS IS AMAZING HONESTLY' post about something genuinely awful the other week (I *think* it might have been SimCity...) which almost pointed to them selling out a little.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:10 am »

I'll third the motion on RPS - it's really taken a dive lately, there was even a bit of an 'OMG THIS IS AMAZING HONESTLY' post about something genuinely awful the other week (I *think* it might have been SimCity...) which almost pointed to them selling out a little.

I knew someone would say something like "selling out" if we stayed on the topic of RPS long enough. Didn't take THAT long, though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:22 am »

Personally, RPS has always needed tigher editting. The nut graph is almost always 50% babbling, it's like their calling card. On their writer's applications, there's probably a section that reads "Can you write an introductory paragraph before the jump that tells the reader nothing about the game and which is so obnoxiously silly most won't even read it?" Between Nathan Grayson and Cara Ellison, the caliber of the writing and the observations has gotten much weaker.

I think RPS has become the contrarian review site. Rarely these days do they review something without treating some aspect of it as a big failing. Perhaps they're trying to be critical because they don't want to just gush like fanbois.

The fact Jim's introduction is three sentences and is delivered completely straight tells me they at least think they're taking the WoT seriously.

Edit

I thought his review was ok. What he's trying to say, ultimately, is that this is a game made in about a year's time. I think that explains most of his comments. To me SRR has always seemed to occupy this weird spot between your average indie game and a AAA game, never quite being either. Looks too nice and has way too many people working on it to really be like other indie titles. But it's rough around the edges and isn't overflowing with development time like a AAA game. (Basically everything mentioned in the review: the quality of the writing being all over the place, rough animations, underwhelming bad guys, underwhelming monsters, levels that not fully realized.)

This is the part of the review that is most telling to me:

There’s another aspect to the overall offering of Shadowrun Returns, though, and it’s clear from the moment you start playing: this is a game that is set up as a toolkit. Sure, they’re shipping a professionally made campaign that probably supports a couple of playthroughs, but what they’re actually shipping is a full-blown campaign editor and the system to easily distribute campaigns.

And this is what I guess has worried me the most, especially when he mentions the Asylum level. When games plan to include an editor, sometimes things are too transparent, too simple because of the need to fit into the boxes the editor creates. Like the aslyum patients all having shotguns. I imagine that's why they were able to crank this game out so fast. When you're not doing novel solutions, scripting or mechanics in gameplay, you can create a lot of content very fast. That doesn't mean it's a bad game. But it's starting to sound like what it means is some of the gameplay is rather generic because there wasn't time to really polish it out.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:49:57 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2013, 09:24:28 am »

but I have to agree about RPS. Something seems a little odd there. I used to like them a lot, but it seems like there are more and more sketchy articles that aren't really that good, and could've done with a very healthy dose of editing. I've actually seen one or two entries that I couldn't even really figure out what they were trying to say exactly with. It was almost like it was just an un-checked 3 AM rambling being posted.

All the F2P games they keep advertising & playing are rotting their brains.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2013, 10:20:49 am »

I'm noticing a theme in these reviews.

While everyone says the game is good, damn near everyone is stressing the fact that the editor and user content is where the game will really blossom. While that's not a hard sell to a fan of Shadowrun, it never makes me feel good when reviewers imply I'll get ALL my money's worth months after release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2013, 10:30:20 am »

But can you play with no party at all?!?  Sneaky ninja style? 

No, you can't. This game isn't Shadowrun style proper where planning can actually circumvent all of the defenses and where avoiding combat is just as important. As well a lot of the 'less dangerous' sections involve skills other then stealth.

This is more Fallout Tactics style where stealth is nice but at the end of the day you still got to blow out some knee caps.
So stealth is totally useless... crap....
I guess from a min-max perspective... it is.
3Well in fallout tactics i never saw a single opportunity to use stealth exept in the tutorial.... sooo...

In F:T I once tried a bit of PvP with a friend. He made a sniper, I made a super stealthy melee ninja with ALL the sneaky perks, best agility or whatever, basically maxed invisibility. He still spotted me a mile away and shot me every.single.time. The only time he didn't was because I avoided field of view entirely, then climbed to his tower, and he STILL killed me point blank.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:19 am »

I'm noticing a theme in these reviews.

While everyone says the game is good, damn near everyone is stressing the fact that the editor and user content is where the game will really blossom. While that's not a hard sell to a fan of Shadowrun, it never makes me feel good when reviewers imply I'll get ALL my money's worth months after release.

I think you'll get your money's worth on day one. I think the extra stuff will make it one of those amazing values like Terraria or Garry's mod.
I am also happy that most of what I thought after 1 hour seems to be a common theme amongst the reviewers. That's vindicating.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:43:30 am by hemmingjay »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2013, 11:00:27 am »

So... how 'bout that Shadowrun?  The glorious Hemmingjay gave me one, but I've not looked into it much (download in about an hour).  What should I expected in terms of difficulty and range of options?  Like, part of the tabletop appeal is letting the DM decide how rational an idea is, but that's not possible here...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2013, 11:05:23 am »

It has difficulty settings, so you can decide for yourself. Range of options? Plenty.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2013, 11:11:34 am »

So if I wanted to equip a Bulldog Step Van with some courier drones and pretend to be a delivery man, would that work?

What if I just did deliveries and declined shadow runs?

Can I play "Delivery Van Simulator 2049"?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2013, 12:07:42 pm »

Can I play "Delivery Van Simulator 2049"?
Download's apparently available. Time to find out, haha!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:43 pm »

100kb/s download rate.  Derp.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:47 pm »

So...  maybe the harebrained schemes website is getting swamped cause of downloads?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 27