Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51916 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »

But can you play with no party at all?!?  Sneaky ninja style? 

No, you can't. This game isn't Shadowrun style proper where planning can actually circumvent all of the defenses and where avoiding combat is just as important. As well a lot of the 'less dangerous' sections involve skills other then stealth.

This is more Fallout Tactics style where stealth is nice but at the end of the day you still got to blow out some knee caps.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:16:20 pm by Neonivek »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2013, 06:05:27 pm »

No, you can't. This game isn't Shadowrun style proper where planning can actually circumvent all of the defenses and where avoiding combat is just as important. As well a lot of the 'less dangerous' sections involve skills other then stealth.

This is more Fallout Tactics style where stealth is nice but at the end of the day you still got to blow out some knee caps.
So stealth is totally useless... crap....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2013, 06:15:17 pm »

I guess from a min-max perspective... it is.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:42 pm »

I guess from a min-max perspective... it is.
3Well in fallout tactics i never saw a single opportunity to use stealth exept in the tutorial.... sooo...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2013, 08:11:56 pm »

...  You got me there. 
*shifts tactic* I don't believe anyone here making that comparison has played the game yet...  (I don't know about actual reviews outside of this forum though...)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

I played amission that is contrary to everything you wrote here. I'm not saying that you are wrong, perhaps you have more experience with the game than I do. However, today I played a mission made by a user in a corporate setting where I was able to stealthily take out two guards and avoid a bunch of others. Further, I did not have to choose a party, I was able to go it alone if I wanted by simply not hiring a party of runners. I also didn't think it was anything like FO Tactics, other than there is tactical gameplay.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2013, 09:15:40 pm »

Further, I did not have to choose a party, I was able to go it alone if I wanted by simply not hiring a party of runners.

Awesome.  That alone can add a lot of fun.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2013, 09:18:16 pm »

For the Seattle campaign I did have to choose a party for the mission I ran, so I can't speak to the entire thing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »

Its cool, they can guard the entrance.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2013, 11:18:48 pm »

Anyone know if SRR is doing a midnight release?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 24, 2013, 11:40:57 pm »

1pm EDT, 10amPDT, 6pm GMT

Eurogamer gives it an 8/10 with a even handed review with no spoilers. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-25-shadowrun-returns-review
Gaming Trend gives it an 87 http://gamingtrend.com/game_reviews/buy-this-game-chummer-we-review-shadowrun-returns/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:13:42 am by hemmingjay »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2013, 02:58:08 am »

However, today I played a mission made by a user

Yep... Figures. It is NW all over again. User created missions tend not to get the right balance.

Also no I didn't mean that this game is exactly like Fallout Tactics and that stealth is useless. More that Stealth is just one more tool in your belt and that you are going to have to actually bring the thunder or the multitude of other skills your party has. You know... Like Shadowrun.

Some of the sections are just choke points that either force another skill or force a battle. Like Fallout.

What do you get when you have a squad of people with various skills and roles with the gameplay of Fallout? You get fallout tactics. Hence the reference.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:04:56 am by Neonivek »

conciso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2013, 03:21:41 am »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2013, 03:34:16 am »

Polygon gave it a 7/10: http://www.polygon.com/game/shadowrun-returns/8036

Odd. Usually the review number is based upon projected popularity then worth. Are they really predicted the game will get those kinds of sales?

I guess if they expect the players would think it is a 7.

Hardly matters I guess, a solid 7 is often the much better game then the weak 8 (Which will make no sense to anyone but me >_<)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:38:23 am by Neonivek »

conciso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2013, 03:48:07 am »

Polygon gave it a 7/10: http://www.polygon.com/game/shadowrun-returns/8036

Odd. Usually the review number is based upon projected popularity then worth. Are they really predicted the game will get those kinds of sales?

I guess if they expect the players would think it is a 7.

Hardly matters I guess, a solid 7 is often the much better game then the weak 8 (Which will make no sense to anyone but me >_<)

Hardly matters, indeed. Most of the games I really enjoy or love got so so rates.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27