Mouth and Horns only
- 35 (42.7%)
Forehooves
- 3 (3.7%)
All of the above
- 44 (53.7%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25

Author Topic: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.2  (Read 80654 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Fortress - Fanon is Magic 1.1
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 05:09:59 pm »

Alas, they're just for show. I mean, nothing is stopping you from building cloudsdale, but unless it's supported from the groud somehow (like a giant staircase) It'll fall down.
There's not really anything we can do about that for the time being, just how DF works.

I'm mostly adding it for flavor, giving pegasi something to do other than being 20% cooler (all cloudstuff will use alchemy, and im giving everyone but pegasi 0 aptitude in it)
And as an alternative way of getting construction blocks, since you primarily want to build aboveground.

Right now it might be a bit too easy, just a bucket of water to make a light cloud, and another bucket to make a heavy one, and you can even fill buckets right in the weather factory.
Im going to try to balance things out a bit, and make all the different constructions and crafts viable alternatives.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:34 pm »

Any chance of a RAWs only download? I can't manage 16mb right now.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »

Um...

There are two saved worlds in the download (probably contributing to the size)...

and humans (and dwarves, and goblins). Lyra may be pleased, but I think you might not have intended that.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 07:54:33 pm »

oh snap, i forgot to delete the entity_default file
soyeah.. sorry, I need to get my shit in order it seems :P

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 08:00:27 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/My%20Little%20Fortess%20-%20Fanon%20is%20Magic%201.1.5%2834.06%29%20RAW%20only.zip Raw only download, I'll make it an option for future releases as well.
The DFFD download has been updated to not include uncompressed savegames, and the entity_default file has been deleted (but you obviously don't need to redownload for that) Thanks for the catch!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3677116/My%20Little%20Fortess%20-%20Fanon%20is%20Magic%201.1.5%2834.06%29%20RAW%20only.zip Raw only download, I'll make it an option for future releases as well.
The DFFD download has been updated to not include uncompressed savegames, and the entity_default file has been deleted (but you obviously don't need to redownload for that) Thanks for the catch!

No prob, with the number of recent updates you've made, you totally deserve all the slack we can offer, and I'm just trying to do what I can to help!
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 10:28:59 pm »

Just for the fun of it I opened up my world in Legends Viewer:
Worships:
- The pony, Romance (love)

D'AWWW

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 11:37:05 pm »

Thanks for this, though speaking of your latest version I had a question.

I find it to be somewhat difficult to build up an above-ground city for the ponies and such, though with recent play-testing of the previous version I managed to settle on a shire reminiscent of hobbits and such. However, I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to having my ponies live somewhat like dwarves, having them dig deeper and such. Other than of course the need to dig out spaces for above-ground farming and spend time paving them with roofs, are there any disadvantages to having ponies, pegasi, and unicorns live underground?

Oh, and one last thing. I had an alicorn almost purposefully starve herself by landing on an unfinished roof surrounding a carpenter's workshop, yet the same alicorn can fly down through unpaved ceilings, past the farms and drop off a bed at a furniture stockpile. I just thought I'd share that, as for whatever reason it kind of piqued my interest.

FiveFives

• Bay Watcher
  • and their UFO Connection
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2012, 12:47:43 am »

@Dei
I'm not aware of any disadvantages beyond it being fairly unponylike. Sort of goes against the spirit of the thing but who am I to say your ponies aren't special ;).

As for the alicorn issue, it's been a problem with flying "dwarves" in fort mode since flying "dwarves" in fort mode were a thing.
The easiest solution is to simply make sure every rooftop is in some way accessible via staircase/ramp.
I tend to build in the style of an old castle-town, with most of the rooftops connected, so only a handful of scattered ramps are needed to ensure my roof workers and derptastic fliers can get up and down.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2012, 05:38:02 am »

if you DO have unconnected rooftops, make sure you set it to Restricted via Traffic Designation. This will cause the flyers to not go on top, realize there's no way down and panic XD

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »

@Dei
I'm not aware of any disadvantages beyond it being fairly unponylike. Sort of goes against the spirit of the thing but who am I to say your ponies aren't special ;).

Thanks for the input. I plan on having my ponies live similar to the dwarves I manage - in fortresses with an expansive underground system as well as an aqueduct, halls of death to ward off enemies and a means to control overpopulation via selectively exterminating undesirable migrants when it suits my whims. It's what suits my hunk of junk computer and overall playstyle the most. I mean, I selected this mod out of the others because of the advantages it offered.

I especially like having pegasi miners, masons, and wood cutters. They're so much fun in regards to clearing out trees and striking the earth for it's minerals, then building walls, corridors, pillboxes and aqueducts.

if you DO have unconnected rooftops, make sure you set it to Restricted via Traffic Designation. This will cause the flyers to not go on top, realize there's no way down and panic XD

Thank you for reminding me about that nifty little tool. I use it already to make sure my minions don't trap themselves in the aqueduct they just finished building, or so that they build the fortress walls a certain way when there are crocodiles or cougars about. Might as well make it so that alicorns lke Rose Glimmerpregnant don't go on hunger strikes while hauling off chairs for the dining rooms down below.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:34 pm »

Next update is coming along nicely.. I took some liberties with the cloudsculpting and weather factory as we haven't really seen much of it in the show.
You will be able to manufacture your own rainbows and then extract colors from them, but know this! Making rainbows is no easy task!
All the weather factory related jobs will use the alchemy skill and be somewhat restricted to pegasuseses, by giving the other races a low aptitude in alchemy, and by even adding some dangerous enviromental hazards should non-pegasi try to do this.

The pegasi industry is going to be a bit more "hands on" to set up, but will run fairly automated once you've done so.

Now.. this version seems to have introduced a rather silly bug... ponies are whining, not complaining, about the lack of clothes..
I might have to temporary mod in some pants and shoes to stop them from going suicidal.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 08:22:31 am »

I might have to temporary mod in some pants and shoes to stop them from going suicidal.

How about socks? :D

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:03 am »

socks and turtlenecks for everyone!

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:53 pm »

I finished the cloud crafting stuff, up to and including extracting dyes from rainbows.
I was hoping it was possible to glaze blocks but it seems it is impossible. A wood painting system will be in a bit later, seperate from the pegasus stuff.

Currently there's a custom building and a long and arduous project to build a rainbow, and then you're done, outside it being a required tool for rainbow extraction.
I am currently on the fence whether i want the rainbow to be randomly consumed upon use or not. I does take quite a bit of time and resources to make one and if you lose one on your first color extraction, that would suck. So I'm looking for options and other uses for that.

Current implemented features of cloud crafting:

Custom resource system
you can make clouds from cloud seeds harvested in the Weather Factory building (not a plant, everything happens in the building).
Takes a bit of management to make sure you don't spend your last cloud without having a seed handy, as the gather wild seed reaction is slow.

Crafts and Furniture
Clouds can be turned into light clouds, which can be crafted into crafts for selling, or into higher quality furniture, including beds. This is done in the Cloudsculpting Workshop.

Rainbow Growing
A fairly long and advanced process.. growing a rainbow from scratch involves eight different steps of production, which will ofcourse be detailed in the readme.
I promise it looks alot more advanced than it actually is, and the reaction tooltips give some pretty good hints.
Rainbow growing is done in the Rainbow Refractor building.

Extracting colors and dyes
The Color Extrapolator building lets you harvest color from your rainbows, all you need is a jug for storage and some water to dilute the colors (via bucket of water)
After extracting a color, you can turn it into a cloth dye... The extracted colors will have some more uses at a later point.

Currently all these buildings are free, but they will require some added measure in the future.. Most likely they will be unlockable with research, either as a package deal or induvidual buildings and reactions seperately. I have not made up my mind on that quite yet :P

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25